What factors affect monochromator bandwidth?

• Thread starter oskarbjo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bandwidth
In summary: The diffracted angle as a function of wavelength is just the angle of incidence divided by the wavelength. So if you know the slit width and the diffraction order, you can calculate the wavelength bandwidth.
oskarbjo
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi!

I am having a bit trouble understanding how to determine the wavelength bandwidth for a monochromator. If anyone could suggest what to look for it'd be really nice. The problem is formulated something like this:

White light is aimed into a monochromator. The monochromator consists of a grating (with slit spacing d) that the light is reflected from. This light is then aimed to a slit with width t. How will the interval of wavelengths that comes out from the slit depend on t and d?

I don't see how this information is enough to determine the bandwidth. If anyone could give me a hint I'd be really thankful.

Edit: I missed there was a forum for homework. Requested thread to be moved
czerny.gif

Oskar

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First write out the diffraction grating equation for the parameters given.

The grating equation goes like this:

d(sin a1 + sin a2) = m*lambda

Where a1 is the incident angle relative to the grating normal and a2 is the reflected angle, m is the diffraction order and d is the grating slit distance.
I understand that only a certain portion of the reflected spectrum will 'fit' through the exit slit, but what's made me get stuck is that I think that this portion, the bandwidth, will depend on the distance between the grating and the exit slit. The picture included in this post is the one that I got with the task (used another one in the first post because I thought it looked better and was in english). The only information I have is the grating slit distance d and the exit slit width t.

Vitt ljus = White light
Roberbart gitter med spaltavstånd d = Rotatable grating with slit distance d
Prov = Sample
qFz9iGp.png

So in the original problem there is no focusing mirror?

You mean the focusing mirrors? No, nothing like that

Well, in that case then you do need to define the distance between grating and the exit slit. For the grating equation, usually the diffraction order used in separating the frequency components is the first order, ##m=1##. Compute the diffracted angle as a function of wavelength with ##m=1## and you should obtain the answer.

What is monochromator bandwidth?

Monochromator bandwidth refers to the range of wavelengths that a monochromator can transmit or focus on. It is an important parameter that determines the spectral resolution of the monochromator.

How is monochromator bandwidth measured?

Monochromator bandwidth is typically measured as the full-width at half-maximum (FWHM) of the spectral peak. This means that the bandwidth is the width of the peak at half of its maximum intensity.

What factors affect monochromator bandwidth?

The main factors that affect monochromator bandwidth are the design and quality of the monochromator optics, the size and quality of the entrance and exit slits, and the wavelength range of the light source.

Why is monochromator bandwidth important?

Monochromator bandwidth is important because it determines the resolving power and sensitivity of the monochromator. A smaller bandwidth allows for better separation of closely spaced spectral peaks, while a larger bandwidth allows for more light to be transmitted through the monochromator.

How can monochromator bandwidth be optimized?

To optimize monochromator bandwidth, one can adjust the size and position of the entrance and exit slits, as well as the diffraction grating angle. Additionally, using a narrower wavelength range of the light source can also improve the monochromator bandwidth.