1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monopole and dipole momnts

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    Two point charges 3q and iq are spearated by distance a as in the diagram. Find the monopole, dipole moments and the approximate potential at large (in spherical coords including both dipole and monopole contributions)

monopole moment is sum of charges [itex]3q \hat{k} + qa \hat{k} = q(a+2) \hat{k}[/itex]

dipole moment is (assume that the origin is located half way between the two cahrges

[tex] p= 3q \frac{a}{2} \hat{k} + (-q}\frac{a}{2} \hat{k} = 2qa \hat{k}[/tex]

[tex] \overline{p} = p + qa\hat{k} [/tex]
    [tex] \overline{p} = qa \hat{k} [/tex]
    is this correct???

where di i got wrong? with the transofmration of coordinates? With the way i calculated p?? When i calculate the potential the dipole moment will point radially in the z direction hence [itex] \hat{k} = \hat{r} \cos\theta [/tex]

thank you for your help and responses!
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. You seem to mean q and 2q in the first line. There should be no \hat k and no a in the monopole moment.
    2. The usual convention for a charged object is to pick the origin so that the dipole moment is zero. I have not seen the diagram, so maybe you are told where to pick the origin.
  4. Oct 28, 2006 #3

here is the diagram

pick a zer dipole moment... how in this case

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      File size:
      4.3 KB
  5. Oct 28, 2006 #4
    but isnt hte dipole moment a vector?/
  6. Oct 30, 2006 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For your diagram, the charge is 3q-q=2q.
    With the origin given at the postionf of the -q charge, the dipole moment is
    [tex]{\bf p}=3q{\bf\hat z}[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?