1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monopole,dipole,quadropole moment

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    a point charge +Q is placed at the origin and a charge -Q is smeared around the origin maintaining cylindrical symmetry around the Z axis.Show that (i) when the charge distribution is prolate(egg-shaped),the monopole and dipole moments are zero but the quadrupole moment Q is positive; (ii) when the charge distribution is oblate(pizza-shaped),the monopole and dipole moments are again zero but the quadrupole moment is negative. please help me solving this problem ....

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Well what have you tried so far?

4. May 2, 2009 #3
    by the quadropole relation what we know, i can say about the +ve and -ve sign of Q ... but i cannot understand about monopole & dipole term- how they are goinh to zero ...

5. May 2, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Start with the formulas for the monopole "moment" (i.e. charge) and dipole moment. Do you know those?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook