Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monoprotic Acid

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    im trying to find a monoprotic acid with a molar mass of about 64 g/mol.

is there a list of all acids somewhere on the internet? the closest i've found are nitric acid, boric acid and chlorous acid..

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The first place best to search would be a handbook of chemistry & physics, like CRC, or Langs.

4. May 7, 2008 #3
    checked CRC, cant find it under STANDARD SOLUTIONS OF ACIDS, BASES, AND SALTS

5. May 7, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your interest is the formula or molecular weights, not their solutions in water. Check a more meaningful list or section in the handbooks. Search for maybe a section on inorganic and organic acids; molecular weights might be tabulated with the listings. Do you have a constraint to work with, or just want as many acids as you can find disregarding any constraint?

6. May 7, 2008 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How close to 64?

7. May 7, 2008 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If this pertains to a lab show us your titration curve

Is is monoprotic?

If it has multiple Kas what are they?

8. May 7, 2008 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

An old Hanbook of Chemistry & Physics published by Chemical Rubber Company has listing of dissociation
    constants of acids in aqueous solution, giving the empirical formulas of the acids. You can immediately see
    from the tabulations which acids are monoprotic and which are polyprotic. You could write a BASIC program
    and which may allow you to one-by-one input empirical formula information to calculate the molecular weights of
    each acid. The table shows more than about 100 different acids, so a computer program for calculating each
    molecular weight, while slow, would be faster than using just a handheld electronic calculator.

9. May 7, 2008 #8

Borek

Shameless plug: each of my programs calculates molar mass for any entered formula and it does it on the fly :smile: But I have a gut feeling there is no need for that. One of the common monoprotic inorganic acids has molar mass of 63.01, that's why I asked how close to 64 it has to be.

If it is an organic acid, it must have formula R-COOH. It is easy to find out what is a molar mass of R - and I have no idea what combination of CHNO atoms can give that.

10. May 7, 2008 #9
    which acid is that borek?

63.01 should be close enough (rounded up to 64)

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  11. May 8, 2008 #10

Borek

What strong monoprotic inorganic acids do you know? List them from most popular to the least popular and it will be one of the firsts. On my list it is the second :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?