Find an Acid with a Molar Mass of 64 g/mol

• Thread starter sam432
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Mass
In summary: The most popular monoprotic inorganic acid is sulfuric acid. It has a molar mass of 63.01 grams per mole.
sam432
im trying to find a monoprotic acid with a molar mass of about 64 g/mol.

is there a list of all acids somewhere on the internet? the closest I've found are nitric acid, boric acid and chlorous acid..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The first place best to search would be a handbook of chemistry & physics, like CRC, or Langs.

checked CRC, can't find it under STANDARD SOLUTIONS OF ACIDS, BASES, AND SALTS

Your interest is the formula or molecular weights, not their solutions in water. Check a more meaningful list or section in the handbooks. Search for maybe a section on inorganic and organic acids; molecular weights might be tabulated with the listings. Do you have a constraint to work with, or just want as many acids as you can find disregarding any constraint?

How close to 64?

If this pertains to a lab show us your titration curve

Is is monoprotic?

If it has multiple Kas what are they?

An old Hanbook of Chemistry & Physics published by Chemical Rubber Company has listing of dissociation
constants of acids in aqueous solution, giving the empirical formulas of the acids. You can immediately see
from the tabulations which acids are monoprotic and which are polyprotic. You could write a BASIC program
and which may allow you to one-by-one input empirical formula information to calculate the molecular weights of
each acid. The table shows more than about 100 different acids, so a computer program for calculating each
molecular weight, while slow, would be faster than using just a handheld electronic calculator.

Shameless plug: each of my programs calculates molar mass for any entered formula and it does it on the fly :smile: But I have a gut feeling there is no need for that. One of the common monoprotic inorganic acids has molar mass of 63.01, that's why I asked how close to 64 it has to be.

If it is an organic acid, it must have formula R-COOH. It is easy to find out what is a molar mass of R - and I have no idea what combination of CHNO atoms can give that.

which acid is that borek?

63.01 should be close enough (rounded up to 64)

Last edited:
What strong monoprotic inorganic acids do you know? List them from most popular to the least popular and it will be one of the firsts. On my list it is the second :wink:

1. What is an acid?

An acid is a chemical substance that has a sour taste and can turn litmus paper red. It is also known as a proton donor, as it releases hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water.

2. What is molar mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, which is equal to its atomic or molecular weight in grams. It is often used to measure the amount of a substance in a given sample.

3. How do you find an acid with a molar mass of 64 g/mol?

To find an acid with a molar mass of 64 g/mol, you can look at the periodic table and find an element with an atomic weight close to 64 g/mol. Alternatively, you can calculate the molar mass of a compound by adding up the atomic weights of its elements.

4. What are some examples of acids with a molar mass of 64 g/mol?

Some examples of acids with a molar mass of 64 g/mol include formic acid (HCOOH), acetic acid (CH3COOH), and benzoic acid (C6H5COOH).

5. What are the properties of acids with a molar mass of 64 g/mol?

Acids with a molar mass of 64 g/mol are typically corrosive, can cause burns on skin and damage to materials, and have a sour taste. They also have a low pH and can conduct electricity when dissolved in water.