1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monoprotic weak acid in water

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If enough of a monoprotic acid is dissolved in water to produce a 0.0153 M solution with a pH of 6.31, what is the equilibrium constant, Ka, for the reaction?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attempted to solve this problem using ICE tables, but keep getting the incorrect answer. One feedback stated that I needed to account for the initial H+ concentration due to water, which is 10^-7 M, but I'm not sure how to go about putting this into the ICE table. Thanks in advance for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please show your work and the result you got, hard to comment on the problem not seeing what you did.

In general concentration of H+ from the water autodissociation is not 10-7 M, as its concentration changes when the acid dissociates shifting the water dissociation equilibrium. This can be still solved, but not with just an ICE table. You would need a full, systematc approach, which requires writing all equations describing the system (Ka, Kw, mass balances, charge balance) and solving for Ka.

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Instead of tables which IMHO will leave you with no knowledge or ability a year after the last time you've used them, I would use the simple fundamentals which you will be able to call on any time needed.

What are the relevant equations for this question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted