Monostable Waveforms: Solutions & Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for triggering pulses in an op amp circuit, the calculation of the time constant and recovery time, and the operation of a monostable circuit. The trigger pulse must have a negative polarity and an amplitude greater than 1V in order to drop V- below V+ and switch the op amp output low. The time constant is calculated using the formula T = Time constant x ln [span/remainder], and the recovery time is approximately 5 time constants. In a monostable circuit, a negative triggering pulse will start it and the circuit will only respond to negative spikes. The duration of the output pulse depends on the specific circuit.
Weaver

Homework Statement

2017 - Q5.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

T = Time constant x ln [span/remainder]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)[/B] The trigger pulse must have a negative polarity and an amplitude greater than 1V. V+ is at 0V in the stable state. By using these conditions for a triggering pulses, it ensures that will drop V- below that of V+ and so causing the op amp output to switch low and enter the quasi-stable state

b) ***I am a little unsure for part b, but this is my attempt:***
Workings.jpg
c) ***I am unsure of span and remainder for part c but this is my attempt:***

Span= 15-(-15)
= 30
Remainder = 15-1
=14

T = (10x103 + 1x103 )(100 x 10-9) x ln(30/14)
T = 838.35us

Recovery approximately completes in 5 Time constants
=> 5 ( (10x103 + 1x103 )(100 x 10-9) )
= 5.5 msd) ***I am a little unsure for part d, but this is my attempt:***
If Vref was -1V, the V- would always be below V+ and so cause the monostable to be constantly producing a pulse.

Or is it that the circuit will responds to positive triggering pulses?

I am not very familiar with the monostable circuit. I'd appreciate any help with this question or even a link to a resource that explains the monostable circuit better. All the examples I find online seem to be a different circuit. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Workings.jpg
    Workings.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 401
  • 2017 - Q5.png
    2017 - Q5.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You state that a negative 1 volt trigger will start it (correct), but that is not what your picture looks like. Why do you have 2 trigger spikes (pos and neg)?

Try reading this article. It describes circuit using logic gates and transistors, but the basic operation is similar (the way the feedback temporarily holds it in one state). https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/monostable.html

scottdave said:
You state that a negative 1 volt trigger will start it (correct), but that is not what your picture looks like. Why do you have 2 trigger spikes (pos and neg)?

Thanks Scott!

I wasn't sure about that. We had trigger like that in a lab session but now in hindsight that was to show the circuit only responded to negative spikes. There only needs to be negative spikes as the positive will do nothing, given V- will still be greater than V+.

Would the graph then look like this?
New_graph.jpg

Thanks for the link as well

Attachments

• New_graph.jpg
    New_graph.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 334
Cn't read your drawing very well but looks like your V+ jumps from 0 to -1V and then exponentiates back to 0. The -1V is wrong, it'd be bigger than that by a factor of at least 2 ...

Duration of output pulse?

Part (d)?

1. What is a monostable waveform?

A monostable waveform is a type of electronic signal that has a single pulse or burst of energy, followed by a stable period of no signal. It is also known as a one-shot or single-shot waveform.

2. How is a monostable waveform generated?

A monostable waveform is typically generated using a monostable multivibrator circuit, which is made up of a trigger, a timing circuit, and an output stage. The trigger initiates the pulse, and the timing circuit determines the duration of the pulse. The output stage amplifies and shapes the pulse into a usable waveform.

3. What are some applications of monostable waveforms?

Monostable waveforms have a variety of applications in electronics, such as in timing circuits, pulse generators, and as triggers for other circuits. They are also commonly used in communication systems, radar systems, and measurement equipment.

4. What are the advantages of using monostable waveforms?

One of the main advantages of monostable waveforms is their ability to produce a precise and stable pulse, making them useful for precise timing and synchronization. They also have a simple design and can be easily integrated into electronic circuits.

5. What are some resources for learning more about monostable waveforms?

There are many resources available for learning about monostable waveforms, such as textbooks on electronics and online tutorials. Some specific resources include websites that offer simulations and interactive demonstrations of monostable circuits, as well as forums and online communities where you can ask questions and discuss concepts with other enthusiasts and experts.