1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monotone Convergence

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

16jhg6u.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Monotone Convergence Theorem:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5469/mct.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this almost follows from the theorem. But I first need to write [itex]\displaystyle \int_{I_n} f = \int_S f_n[/itex] for some [itex]f_n[/itex] in such a way that [itex](f_n)[/itex] is an increasing sequence tending to [itex]f[/itex]. (Then we have something that satisfies the hypotheses of the theorem.) What [itex]f_n[/itex] could I use?

Then in the case of any function [itex]g[/itex] can I consider positive and negative parts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2
    Hmm, what if you let [itex]f_{n} \left( x \right) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rl} f \left( x \right) &, x \in I_{n} \\ 0 &, x \not \in I_{n} \end{array} \right.[/itex]. I'm not sure if [itex]f_{n} \in \mathcal{L}^{1} \left( \mathbb{R}^{k} \right)[/itex] but it is an increasing sequence of functions which converges point-wise to [itex]f[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook