Monotone Convergence Theorem Homework: Integrals & Increasing Sequences

In summary, the conversation discusses the Monotone Convergence Theorem and how to apply it to a specific problem. The individual is considering using a sequence of functions that tend to the given function in order to satisfy the theorem's hypotheses. They also mention considering positive and negative parts of a function and suggest using a sequence of functions that converge point-wise to the given function.
Ted123

Homework Statement

16jhg6u.jpg

Homework Equations

Monotone Convergence Theorem:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5469/mct.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this almost follows from the theorem. But I first need to write [itex]\displaystyle \int_{I_n} f = \int_S f_n[/itex] for some [itex]f_n[/itex] in such a way that [itex](f_n)[/itex] is an increasing sequence tending to [itex]f[/itex]. (Then we have something that satisfies the hypotheses of the theorem.) What [itex]f_n[/itex] could I use?

Then in the case of any function [itex]g[/itex] can I consider positive and negative parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, what if you let [itex]f_{n} \left( x \right) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rl} f \left( x \right) &, x \in I_{n} \\ 0 &, x \not \in I_{n} \end{array} \right.[/itex]. I'm not sure if [itex]f_{n} \in \mathcal{L}^{1} \left( \mathbb{R}^{k} \right)[/itex] but it is an increasing sequence of functions which converges point-wise to [itex]f[/itex].

What is the Monotone Convergence Theorem?

The Monotone Convergence Theorem is a fundamental theorem in real analysis that states that if a sequence of real numbers is increasing and bounded above, then the limit of the sequence exists and is equal to the supremum of the sequence.

How is the Monotone Convergence Theorem related to integrals?

The Monotone Convergence Theorem is closely related to integrals because it provides a way to evaluate the limit of a sequence of integrals. This is especially useful in cases where the integrals are difficult to calculate directly.

What does it mean for a sequence to be increasing?

A sequence is considered increasing if each term in the sequence is greater than or equal to the previous term. In other words, as the index of the sequence increases, so does the value of the terms.

What is a bounded sequence?

A bounded sequence is one where there is a finite number, called a bound, that is greater than or equal to all the terms in the sequence. This means that the sequence does not grow infinitely large or infinitely small.

How is the Monotone Convergence Theorem used in math and science?

The Monotone Convergence Theorem has many applications in math and science, particularly in analysis, probability theory, and optimization. It is used to prove the convergence of series, to evaluate limits of functions, and to study the behavior of sequences and series in a wide range of mathematical and scientific contexts.