Monotonic increasing or monotonic decreasing

In summary, the conversation was about determining whether the sequence {an} = n+(1/n) is monotonic increasing or monotonic decreasing. The attempt at a solution involved plugging in a few values and concluding that the sequence is monotonic increasing. However, the correct approach was to show that an+1 >= an for all n >= some number M. After some algebra and guidance, it was determined that the sequence is indeed monotonic increasing. The conversation also involved a discussion on the importance of being assertive and confident in mathematical solutions.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

1. Determine whether the sequence {an} = n+(1/n) is monotonic increasing or monotonic decreasing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in some digits and got this
a1=2
a2=5/2=2.5
a3=10/3=3.3333333
a4=17/4=4.25
a5=26/5=5.2
I drew the coclusion that it is monotonic increasing. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to show that an+1 >= an for all n >= some number M. You can't just use the values of a few elements of the sequence.

Mark44 said:
n >= some number M

What is M? How do I find it?

Try calculating an+1 - an

Ki-nana18 said:
What is M? How do I find it?
You get to say what it is.

n+1+(1/n+1)>= n+(1/n) @n=3
4.25>3.33333

Since an+1 is greater that an the sequence is monotonic increasing.:confused:

No, that won't do. It's true that n + 1 is always > n (assuming n >0), but 1/(n + 1) < 1/n. If each expression on the left side was larger that the corresponding expression on the right side, then I would buy it.

How do you know that for n = 37, or 503, or whatever, that n + 1 + 1/(n + 1) isn't less than n + 1/n?

Thank you for all your help. But I am completely lost. But I'll try one more question. Do I solve an+1>= an, for n?

Ok, so tons of algebra. Thank you for all your help. :smile:

It's hardly "tons of algebra." Unless you think three of so lines constitutes "tons."

Presumably you're in a calculus class if you're asking questions about sequences, so it's reasonble to assume that you have mastered algebra to some extent.

Is this right:
n+1+1/(n+1)≥n+(1/n)
(n+1)^2/(n+1)≥((n^2+1))/n
n(n+1)≥ ((n^2+1))/n (n)
n^2+n≥n^2+1
n≥1

Ki-nana18 said:
Is this right:
n+1+1/(n+1)≥n+(1/n)
(n+1)^2/(n+1)≥((n^2+1))/n
There's a mistake in the line above, on the left side.
Ki-nana18 said:
n(n+1)≥ ((n^2+1))/n (n)
How does the line above follow from the line above it?
Ki-nana18 said:
n^2+n≥n^2+1
n≥1

Another way you can do this is to show that n + 1 + 1/(n + 1) - (n + 1/n) ≥ 0 for all n ≥ M, where you specify what M is.

Ok I did an+1-an>=0 and I got (n2+3n+1)/(n(n+1))>=0. I'm not sure what to do now. I can't cancel any "n" out b/c its all addition. What do I do now?

n + 1 + 1/(n + 1) - n - 1/n
= 1 + 1/(n + 1) - 1/n
= ?

Leave the first 1 as-is.

So it equals (2n+1)/(n2+n)>=-1?

***Leave the first 1 as-is.***

Just rewrite 1 + 1/(n + 1) - 1/n as an expression it is equal to. I don't want to see any inequality sign yet.

(n^2+3n+1)/(n(n+1))?

DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH THE FIRST 1!

1 + 1/(n + 1) - 1/n = 1 + ?

1+(1/(n(n+1))? sorry. :cry:

You have an incorrect sign. Can you find it? There are only two showing.

1-(1/(n(n+1)))?

YES!

So here is where we are.
an + 1 - an
= n + 1 + 1/(n + 1) - [n + 1/n]
= 1 + 1/(n+1) - 1/n
= 1 - 1/(n(n + 1))

1/(n(n+1) is at most 1/2, when n = 1. For all other value of n, 1/(n(n + 1)) < 1/2. This is pretty obvious, so probably doesn't need to be proved.

So we're subtracting a positive number that is at most 1/2 from 1. What does that say about the sign of 1 - 1/(n(n + 1))? What does that say about the sign of an + 1 - an? What does that say about the sequence?

What does that say about the sign of 1 - 1/(n(n + 1))?
The sign would be positive.
What does that say about the sign of an + 1 - an?
The sign would be positive.
What does that say about the sequence?
This sequence is monotonic increasing.

Good. I especially liked it that you were assertive, and didn't add question marks.

Thank you so much for all your help! I do have a tendency of second guessing myself when it comes to math. I will be eternally grateful to you. :smile:

1. What does it mean for a function to be monotonic increasing or decreasing?

Monotonic increasing or decreasing refers to the behavior of a mathematical function. A function is considered monotonic increasing if its output values increase as its input values increase. On the other hand, a function is considered monotonic decreasing if its output values decrease as its input values increase.

2. How can I determine if a function is monotonic increasing or decreasing?

To determine if a function is monotonic increasing or decreasing, you can graph the function and observe the trend of the plotted points. If the points are consistently moving upwards, the function is monotonic increasing. If the points are consistently moving downwards, the function is monotonic decreasing. Alternatively, you can calculate the derivative of the function and check if it is positive (monotonic increasing) or negative (monotonic decreasing).

3. Is a monotonic increasing function always strictly increasing?

No, a monotonic increasing function is not always strictly increasing. A function is considered strictly increasing if its output values always increase at a greater rate than its input values. A monotonic increasing function, on the other hand, can have constant or equal output values for some intervals.

4. What are some real-life examples of monotonic increasing or decreasing functions?

Monotonic increasing and decreasing functions can be found in many real-life scenarios, such as the increase or decrease of population over time, the rise or fall of stock prices, the change in temperature with increasing altitude, and the growth or decay of radioactive substances over time.

5. Can a function be both monotonic increasing and decreasing?

No, a function cannot be both monotonic increasing and decreasing. This is because monotonicity is a property of a function as a whole, and a function can only have one overall behavior. However, a function can have both increasing and decreasing intervals, which are called non-monotonic functions.