1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monotonic Sequence Theorem Question

1. Sep 18, 2004 #1
    Suppose you know that [tex]\left{ a_n \right}[/tex] is a decreasing sequence and all its
    terms lie between the numbers 5 and 8. Explain why the sequence has a limit. What can
    you say about the value of the limit?

My Answer:

This sequence has a limit because it is both bounded and monotonic, as it is stated in the
    Monotonic Sequence Theorem. The minimum value of this particular limit must be 5.

My question:

Is that thoroughly answered? Did I miss anything?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2004 #2
    Well, you can say that the limit is greater than or equal to five. As you know, a certain theorem says that any bounded, monotonic sequence has a limit. But if the problem is stated as you have written it, I don't think you can say that the limit must be 5.

All of the terms lie between 5 and 8. But do you know if the infimum of the sequence is 5? If the infimum is 5, then yes, the limit is also 5. But if 5 is simply a lower bound (and not necessarily the infimum), then you can't say that the limit is 5.
  4. Sep 18, 2004 #3
    I think get it. The limit is not necessarily 5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?