Monotonic Sequence Theorem Question

In summary, given that \left{ a_n \right} is a decreasing sequence and all its terms lie between the numbers 5 and 8, the sequence has a limit due to the Monotonic Sequence Theorem. However, the value of the limit may not necessarily be 5, as it depends on whether 5 is the infimum or just a lower bound of the sequence.
DivGradCurl
Suppose you know that [tex]\left{ a_n \right}[/tex] is a decreasing sequence and all its
terms lie between the numbers 5 and 8. Explain why the sequence has a limit. What can
you say about the value of the limit?

My Answer:

This sequence has a limit because it is both bounded and monotonic, as it is stated in the
Monotonic Sequence Theorem. The minimum value of this particular limit must be 5.

My question:

Is that thoroughly answered? Did I miss anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
thiago_j said:
Suppose you know that [tex]\left{ a_n \right}[/tex] is a decreasing sequence and all its
terms lie between the numbers 5 and 8. Explain why the sequence has a limit. What can
you say about the value of the limit?

My Answer:

This sequence has a limit because it is both bounded and monotonic, as it is stated in the
Monotonic Sequence Theorem. The minimum value of this particular limit must be 5.

My question:

Is that thoroughly answered? Did I miss anything?

Well, you can say that the limit is greater than or equal to five. As you know, a certain theorem says that any bounded, monotonic sequence has a limit. But if the problem is stated as you have written it, I don't think you can say that the limit must be 5.

All of the terms lie between 5 and 8. But do you know if the infimum of the sequence is 5? If the infimum is 5, then yes, the limit is also 5. But if 5 is simply a lower bound (and not necessarily the infimum), then you can't say that the limit is 5.

I think get it. The limit is not necessarily 5.

Thanks.

1. What is the Monotonic Sequence Theorem?

The Monotonic Sequence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that a sequence is either increasing or decreasing if and only if it is bounded above or below, respectively.

2. How is the Monotonic Sequence Theorem used in mathematics?

The Monotonic Sequence Theorem is used to prove the convergence or divergence of a sequence by determining if it is monotonic (always increasing or decreasing) and bounded. It is also used to find the limit of a sequence.

3. What is a monotonic sequence?

A monotonic sequence is a sequence of numbers that is either always increasing or always decreasing. This means that each term is either greater than or equal to the previous term (increasing) or less than or equal to the previous term (decreasing).

4. Can a sequence be both increasing and decreasing?

No, according to the Monotonic Sequence Theorem, a sequence cannot be both increasing and decreasing. It must be either one or the other. However, a sequence can have sub-sequences that are increasing and decreasing at different points.

5. How is the Monotonic Sequence Theorem related to the Limit Comparison Test?

The Monotonic Sequence Theorem is used as a prerequisite for the Limit Comparison Test. If a sequence is monotonic and bounded, the Limit Comparison Test can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the sequence.