1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monotonicity of n + (-1)^n/n

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    State whether or not the sequence {a_n} = n+[(-1)^n]/n is monotone or not and justify.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It clearly appears to be monotone increasing, so I attempt to prove this. I've tried using induction and tried to prove that {an+1} -{an} >= 0. However, I've got it down to proving n(n-1)>0 for n>1, but I'm not sure how to prove this using just the basic axioms of analysis.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What basic axioms are you talking about? Your approach using induction sounds good to me.

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    Well, would it be possible to redefine a new variable so that one can prove n(n-1)>0 for n>1 using induction? It seems possible to use induction but I'm not sure what to do about the fact that the statement isn't true for n=1.

5. Sep 23, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I suppose you could do it by induction, but proving that n(n - 1) > 0 for n > 1 seems too trivial to bother with this technique. One look at the graph of y = x(x - 1) for x > 1 should convince anyone that the inequality is true.

You could also prove this inequality by noticing that for y = x2 - x has a derivative that is positive for x > 1/2, and that y(0) = y(1) = 0. The graph of this function crosses the x-axis at (1, 0) and increases without bound.

The expression n(n - 1), where n is an integer, agrees with x(x - 1) for all integer values of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook