Exploring Monotonous Functions: Understanding the Unique Solution

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of monotonic functions and their properties. It is stated that monotonic functions can only have one solution and that there is no general method for solving equations involving monotonic functions. The difference between monotonic functions and equations is clarified. The conversation also touches on the concept of monotonicity and its relation to single-valuedness. Examples of functions and equations are given to further explain the concept.
Physicsissuef
Why there is only one solution of the monotonous functions, when all of the functions all monotonous?

For example, I read that this example is monotonius function and because of that have only one solution

[tex]5^x + 7^x=12^x[/tex]

x=1

btw- how to solve monotonius functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
In English that would be "monotonic". What do you mean by "all of the functions are monotonic? And my problem is not with your saying that [tex]5^x + 7^x=12^x[/tex] is monotonic but that it is a function at all! That is an equation. Perhaps you are confusing "function" with "equation" but in that case, I don't recognise the phrase "monotonic equation".

In any case, the definition of "monotonic" is that if f(x)= f(y) then x= y. You cannot have two different values of the independent variable giving the same value of the dependent variable.

That means, in particular, that if f(x) is a monotonic function then the equation f(x)= a, for any a, cannot have more than one solution- it has either no solutions or one.

There is no general method for solving equations involving monotonic functions. Many polynomial functions, of odd degree, are monontonic but there is no general method of solving them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are tottally right. I mistranslated all the things, and you are reading my mind... I was supposed to say, that every function is either monotonically increasing or monotonically decreasing. What is the difference between the functions [tex]\frac{5^x}{12^x}[/tex], [tex]\frac{7^x}{12^x}[/tex] and some other function like [tex]5^2^x=5^1[/tex]

Physicsissuef said:
Yes, you are tottally right. I mistranslated all the things, and you are reading my mind... I was supposed to say, that every function is either monotonically increasing or monotonically decreasing. What is the difference between the functions [tex]\frac{5^x}{12^x}[/tex], [tex]\frac{7^x}{12^x}[/tex] and some other function like [tex]5^2^x=5^1[/tex]
[itex]f(x)= \frac{5^x}{12^x}= \left(\frac{5}{12}\right)^x[/itex] and [itex]g(x)= \frac{7x}{12^x}= \left(\frac{7}{12}\right)^x[/itex] are functions. It would make no sense to say "solve for x" since x could be any number. The last, [itex]5^{2x}= 5[/itex] is an equation (the "=" between two different functions is a give-away!). It is only true if x= 1/2.

I can't understand, why monotonic function have only one solution?

but also [itex]f(x)=5^2^x[/itex] is monotonic function, so also [itex]5^x[/itex](lets say [itex]5^x[/itex] instead of 5) must bee monotonic function.

[tex]5^2^x=5^x[/tex]

Make it simpler, take [itex]f(x)=x[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=2x[/itex]. What about that? Should I dare to write [itex]x = 2x[/itex]?

Are you looking for the intersection points of these functions? Because it seems like you are. Then, you can look for the unique arguments of these functions at the intersection points since they are monotonic.

No, I can't understand why monotonic function have only one solution?

If f(x)= f(y), which is larger, x or y?

Physicsissuef said:
No, I can't understand why monotonic function have only one solution?

Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

"monotonic increasing" means that, if x < y, then f(x) < f(y).

So if f(a) = 0, then f(x) < 0 for all x < a, and f(x) > 0 for all x > a.

In other words, a is the only value of x for which f(x) = 0. :smile:

(If you draw a graph, isn't that obvious? :confused:)

But isn't all function monotonic increasing, or monotonic decreasing?

Physicsissuef said:
But isn't all function monotonic increasing, or monotonic decreasing?

Hi ! :smile:

"monotonic decreasing" means that, if x < y, then f(x) > f(y).

In other words, the graph of a monotonic increasing function always goes up :biggrin: ,
but the graph of a monotonic decreasing function always goes down :cry: .​

"monotonic" doesn't mean single-valued (though the inverse of a monotonic function will be single-valued, over its range).

tiny-tim said:
Hi ! :smile:

In other words, the graph of a monotonic increasing function always goes up :biggrin: ,

"monotonic" doesn't mean single-valued (though the inverse of a monotonic function will be single-valued, over its range).

then why everywhere that because of monotonic function it has only one solution?

Physicsissuef said:
then why everywhere that because of monotonic function it has only one solution?

Because, if y = f(x) is monotonic, it can only cross y = 0 once.

So there is only one value of x for which y = 0. :smile:

But it also have one value for x[tex]5^2^x-5^x=0[/tex]

Physicsissuef said:
But it also have one value for x[tex]5^2^x-5^x=0[/tex]

I don't understand. :confused:

Are you saying that 5^2^x - 5^x is monotonic increasing, but that 5^2^x - 5^x = 0 has more than one solution?

tiny-tim said:
I don't understand. :confused:

Are you saying that 5^2^x - 5^x is monotonic increasing, but that 5^2^x - 5^x = 0 has more than one solution?

Yes. Some functions are monotonic increasing or decreasing, but they have 2 or more solutions.

ok, what are the two solutions of 5^2^x - 5^x = 0?

tiny-tim said:
ok, what are the two solutions of 5^2^x - 5^x = 0?

No, I am not talking about this function, I am talking about some function else, like:

[tex]5^x+5^2^x-6=0[/tex]

ok, what are the two solutions of that?

tiny-tim said:
ok, what are the two solutions of that?

[tex]y^2+y-6=0[/tex]

[tex]y_1=2[/tex]

[tex]y_2=-3[/tex]

Ok, I wrong about this one.
But here is another one:

[tex]3^x^2^-^\frac{5x}{7}-3^\frac{2}{7}=0[/tex]

the solutions are:

[tex]x_1=1 ; x_2=\frac{-2}{7}[/tex]

Or this one:
[tex](x-2)^x^2^-^3^x^-^4-1=0[/tex]

it is [tex]x^2[/tex] up in there. Also for the previous example it is [tex]x^2[/tex] instead of x2

Hi Physicsissuef!

If you mean 3^(x^2 - (5x/7)) - 3^(2/7), that obviously is not monotonic - it is +∞ for both x = -∞ and +∞.

And the same for (x-2)^(x^2 - 3x - 4) - 1.

(btw, use more brackets, and less ^s)

Look, Physicsissuef, this is a waste of your time - if it's monotonic, it can't be 0 for two different values! :smile:

3^(x^2 - (5x/7)) - 3^(2/7), have 2 values which will give us zero. Only two, not more.

… "monotonic" means either "always down" or "always up" … !

Physicsissuef said:
3^(x^2 - (5x/7)) - 3^(2/7), have 2 values which will give us zero. Only two, not more.

Yes, but it's not monotonic!

It stats at +∞, it goes down, and then it goes up, to +∞.

"monotonic" means either "always down" or "always up"! :smile:

Ok, I understand now. Thanks. And is 5^x+7^x-12^x=0, monotonic decreasing or increasing?

I've no idea! :smile:

Why? :confused:

It is zero at negative infinity, nonzero until x=1 and then nonzero again. Thus, it cannot be monotonic. Because if it was monotonic, it should not come back to zero once it is nonzero, which gives you another hint about the derivative of such functions.

But keep in mind, that some people consider constant functions as monotonic, and distinguishing the nonconstant monotonic functions as "strictly" increasing and decreasing

Physicsissuef said:
Ok, I understand now. Thanks. And is 5^x+7^x-12^x=0, monotonic decreasing or increasing?
Why did you think 5^x+ 7^x- 12^x is monotonic?

because of my book. It said like that.
[tex]5^x+7^x=12^x[/tex] is monotonic function, that's why it has one solution

I don't know actually how to know which function is monotonic and which is not. Can you help, please?

Physicsissuef said:
I don't know actually how to know which function is monotonic and which is not. Can you help, please?

The definition is:
tiny-tim said:

You can generally tell by differentiating: if the derivative is positive everywhere, then the function obviously increases; if it's negative everywhere, it decreases.

So 5^x+7^x=12^x is not monotonic, because if I get for x=1, y=0. So it doesn't go "upward" nor "backward", right?

You are thinking way too complex for this matter. Just reset your mind and try to visualize...

You have a graph. Think about [itex]f(x)=x[/itex]. Plot it with something and ask this "Does this graph has any chance that after some x, the plot bends and starts to decrease?"

Decreasing means "for some [itex]x_1[/itex] we have [itex]f(x_1)[/itex] and for some [itex]x_2 \geq x_1[/itex] in other words, for some [itex]x_2[/itex] sits on the right hand side of [itex]x_1[/itex], we have [itex]f(x_2)[/itex], that is less than [itex]f(x_1)[/itex]".

Remember, we are always going towards the positive x by convention... So upward, backward etc. forget about all this. If you save your money and you don't spend it, but once in a while you save some more, the amount can only increase, even if you go from negative(paying borrowed money) to positive(saving!), it is still increasing, which means along the way you can cross zero. that is an example for a monotonic function. But if you cross twice, that means you spend some along the way, thus the amount has decreased somewhere! It is also valid if you are always spending but not saving a dime, thus both directions are valid.

Let me emphasize once again. It is about the functions not about the equations. Equations give you the intersection points of the right and left hand sides,

So, here is another statement for you, the function [itex]f(x) = 5^x+7^x-12^x[/itex] is monotonic between [itex][1,\infty)[/itex]

What do you think?

Last edited:
I would also say that it is monotonic in [itex](-\infty,1][/itex], right?

<h2>1. What is a monotonous function?</h2><p>A monotonous function is a mathematical function that either always increases or always decreases as its input variable increases. This means that the function has a consistent rate of change throughout its domain.</p><h2>2. How do you determine if a function is monotonous?</h2><p>To determine if a function is monotonous, you can graph the function and see if it has a consistent slope (either positive or negative) or you can take the derivative of the function and see if it is always positive or always negative.</p><h2>3. What is the unique solution of a monotonous function?</h2><p>The unique solution of a monotonous function is the single value that satisfies the function's equation. Since a monotonous function has a consistent rate of change, it will only have one solution.</p><h2>4. How are monotonous functions used in science?</h2><p>Monotonous functions are used in science to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They can help scientists understand and predict how certain variables will change over time or in response to different conditions.</p><h2>5. Can a function be monotonous and non-linear?</h2><p>Yes, a function can be monotonous and non-linear. A function can be monotonous as long as it has a consistent rate of change, regardless of whether it is a straight line or a curved line.</p>

1. What is a monotonous function?

A monotonous function is a mathematical function that either always increases or always decreases as its input variable increases. This means that the function has a consistent rate of change throughout its domain.

2. How do you determine if a function is monotonous?

To determine if a function is monotonous, you can graph the function and see if it has a consistent slope (either positive or negative) or you can take the derivative of the function and see if it is always positive or always negative.

3. What is the unique solution of a monotonous function?

The unique solution of a monotonous function is the single value that satisfies the function's equation. Since a monotonous function has a consistent rate of change, it will only have one solution.

4. How are monotonous functions used in science?

Monotonous functions are used in science to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They can help scientists understand and predict how certain variables will change over time or in response to different conditions.

5. Can a function be monotonous and non-linear?

Yes, a function can be monotonous and non-linear. A function can be monotonous as long as it has a consistent rate of change, regardless of whether it is a straight line or a curved line.