Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Montauk Monster?

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Any opinions on its veracity?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2008 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. Aug 1, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hm. Maybe I posted prematurely.

Inspired by an article (which I've now lost track of), I've looked at the original pic closely. It seems quite apparent that the head and body have been Photochopped together. Look at the white are behind the ear and the sharp deliniation. Pull the original into PhotoShop and enlarge it, it becomes quite apparent how unreal that area is.

http://www.davesbrain.ca/miscpix/PF080801montauk_monster.gif

To my eye, that looks pretty poorly done.

5. Aug 2, 2008 #4
    I have seen this type decomposition of the head, which makes it look like a beak, on several animals. Its very typically k-9 tooth related. Its not a monster.

6. Aug 2, 2008 #5
    Raccoon!

7. Aug 2, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

See, that's the thing. It's a no-brainer to toss out ideas about what it could be. But that is far from "solving the mystery".

A coon does not have a beak-like snout.

8. Aug 2, 2008 #7
  9. Aug 2, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I know, I've read those articles.

And I know what mammal skeletons look like. The original pic does not look like a mammal skull though.

However, the more I look into this the more I think the original pic has been altered so as not to look like a common mammal (yes, probably coon, possibly dog or similar).

10. Aug 4, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it's that it has been altered, but just that part of the skull is buried in the sand in a way that it obscures the shape. My initial impression of the overall body shape is something canine or feline. Hypatia's additional photos really help shed more light on it being more canine (keep in mind she's trained in forensic anthropology, so is more accustomed than most of us at examining remains in varied states of decomposition and making sense of them).

11. Aug 4, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wasn't suggesting the snout was altered, I was suggesting the head's been pasted onto the body.

It becomes obvious if you zoom in and look at it closely right behind the ear.

12. Aug 4, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not seeing what you're seeing, but as I look again, I do see that the shadow around the head isn't consistent with the direction of the shadow cast by the rest of the body. Around the rest of the body, the shadow seems cast in the 6:00 or 7:00 direction, while around the head, it seems cast in the 2:00 or 3:00 direction.

13. Aug 4, 2008 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dave, these look like typical .jpg imaging artifacts to me.

I'm not seeing that. It appears the sun is high in the sky, and to the left. The shadows cast by the legs, elbow, and head are all consistent with this.

14. Aug 4, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe. I'm not sure.

Though, still, looking at the head, I think it really only appears confusing because of the partial decomposition. A lot of the "snout" on a dog or raccoon is fleshy or cartilaginous, not bony tissue. The flesh is already lost from the snout and all that's showing is the skeleton. That's what gives sort of a strange optical illusion that makes you think it's a beak-like structure. It really isn't, it's just more what a skeletal skull would look like in the snout region.

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/economy-dog-skeleton-lg.jpg

15. Aug 4, 2008 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with JPG artifacts. I know you can get some funny sharp lines like we're seeing - but couple that with the suspiciously uniform white patch it's up against, and I smell a rat. This looks awfully fake to me:

http://www.davesbrain.ca/miscpix/PF080801montauk_monster.jpg

16. Aug 5, 2008 #15
    i don't believe, such a strange creature has never been upfront on the newspaper highlights,
    but creating such a picture to imply other things or to fit one's dialog is ofcourse likely

if it exists, it might be a no brainer, but probaly less scary than some elegant pretty animals i have observed pretty much in the local zoo

17. Aug 6, 2008 #16

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's hard to say ... I've stared at the images now so much and it's not obvious to me as it seems to be for you. At any rate, the explanation of an ordinary animal partially decomposed around the snout makes the most sense to me.

Regards,

Mark

18. Aug 19, 2008 #17

baywax

Gold Member

OK... I've got it up in photoshop right now... at 200% mag.

It is looking like someone, an inexperienced manipulator, has tried to change some of the features of the head. There are remnants of hair sticking out of the back of where the skull meets the neck. They are grey or silver and some are bloody. but this all stops as we move toward the face. The face has the most amount of re-touching on it with some humanoid eyes added and the "beak-like" nose and some pointy teeth which may be from the original carcass.

There is a pattern like scales or impressions in the purplish skin but these are more than likely photoshopped in... The limb closest to us is missing skin and anything that looks like a paw or flipper or otherwise.

If you bring it up in photoshop or other programs you'll see the suspicious area of re-working around behind the head where the sand goes "out of focus" for no apparent reason... it seems to be trying to represent a limb buried in the sand but is only giving away the hoax.

Montauk is a controversial site for many reasons and this is probably someone trying to bring the attention of the press to it... and they have done a stellar job. It probably was an improperly discarded carcass... of what we can only guess after this amateur put his or her feeble imagination to work on it.

19. Aug 29, 2008 #18
    Why do people keep saying it's a Racoon? It looks nothing like a Racoon. It's too big, the snout is too blunt and the ears are all wrong. (PS I have seen many and killed a few) It is obviously just a dog, most likely a pit bull, that went over the side of someones boat.

20. Aug 29, 2008 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How did you determine how big it is? Reports say it's about 2 feet long, which is well within coon limits. At least, around here.

21. Aug 29, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?