Which of the following are monotonic transformations?

• Thread starter CaitlinH86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of monotonic transformations and how they preserve the behavior of a function. The question asks which of the given functions are monotonic transformations, and the conversation includes explanations and examples for each option. It also touches on the topic of graphing these transformations and how it is not necessary to do so in order to determine monotonicity. The conversation ends with a warning about the use of online forums for homework.
CaitlinH86
I am really struggling trying to grasp the philospohy of montonic transformation. The question is: Which of the following are monotonic transformations?

(a) k x u[x1, x2] where k is a real positive number (I think Yes?)

(b) -2 x u[x1, x2] (I think No because of the -2, but that's just a guess.)

(c) Square root of u[x1, x2] (NO IDEA)

(d) 1/u[x1, x2] (NO IDEA)

I was reading other posts on the same type of problems and I guess I'm also confused on how you would even graph this. I understand that if the graph goes negative and positive then its not a monotonic transformation, but how do I know that for the above questions? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A monotone transformation preserves the behavior of a function. So if u(x1, x2) is monontonically increasing on a given interval, then its behavior must be preserved in k*u(x1, x2).

In -2*u(x1, x2), the behavior of the transformed function varies in direction by the sign of u. For example, assume for any value of x1, u(x1) is strictly increasing. The transformed function does not preserve this behavior, and is not a monotonic transformation. Note that what the functions "actually do" is irrelevant; they aren't graphable, but you don't need to graph them to answer the question. They are general case questions. If it helps, you can fill in arbitrary cases to test hypothesis about functional behavior; if you find one case where order is violated, you've disproved monotonicity.

Looking at the third one, we have sqrt[u(x1, x2)]. Again, assume u is increasing for any value of x1. Does taking the sqrt of the function change this behavior? Certainly slope behavior may be altered (eg, consider u as a linear function), but order is preserved. This is a monotonic transformation.

Try to figure d out for yourself, and prepare yourself for a warning on the use of homework forums :)

Ok, thanks. That definitely helps. And what sort of warning? I did the work myself, I just want to grasp the concepts better.

What is a monotic transformation?

A monotic transformation is a mathematical function that preserves the order of a set of numbers. This means that if two numbers are compared before and after the transformation, the relative position of the numbers will remain the same.

Why is monotic transformation important?

Monotic transformation is important in data analysis and statistics because it can help to make skewed data more normally distributed. This can be useful for making statistical inferences and improving the accuracy of models.

How is monotic transformation performed?

Monotic transformation can be performed by applying a specific mathematical function to a dataset. Common examples of monotic transformations include logarithmic, exponential, and power transformations.

When should monotic transformation be used?

Monotic transformation should be used when the data is highly skewed or does not follow a normal distribution. This is often the case in real-world data, and using a monotic transformation can help to improve the accuracy of statistical analyses.

What are the limitations of monotic transformation?

One limitation of monotic transformation is that it may not completely eliminate skewness in the data. Additionally, it may not be appropriate to use in certain situations, such as when the data contains extreme outliers or when the transformation would result in negative values.