Optimizing Your Chances: Solving the Monty Hall Variation | Homework Help

In summary, the original Monty Hall problem involves 3 doors, 1 with a car and 2 with goats. After choosing a door, the host opens a different door with a goat and the player can choose to switch or stay. Most agree that switching gives a 2/3 chance of winning. However, when adding the condition that the host has an 80% chance of opening a door closer to himself and can only stand on the two ends of the stage, there is some confusion. It is unclear if this means the host can now open the door with the car behind it, or if the 80% chance only applies to the doors with goats. If it is the latter, then the probability remains at 2
superconduct

Homework Statement

Original Monty Hall problem: There are 3 doors, 1 of them contains a car and the other 2 goats. You choose 1 door, the host opens a door that is not chosen by you and does not contain the car. Then you can change to the other closed door, or keep your own chosen door at first. Most people agree with changing as there is 2/3 chance of getting a car.

Now add conditions to the original problem, that is the host will have 80% chance of opening a door closer to himself and can stand only on the 2 ends of the stage.

Which decision should you make now and why?

Homework Equations

I found on the net that 'If the host opens the rightmost door, switching wins with probability 1/(1+q) where he chooses the leftmost goat with probability p (which may depend on the player's initial choice) and the rightmost door with probability q=1−p.'

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I get 2/3 because the new condition will only take in effect when your first choice is the car.
2. From b2 I get 5/6 but I don't understand why b2 is true and why not 2/3

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand "the host will have 80% chance of opening a door closer to himself and can stand only on the 2 ends of the stage." Are you saying that there is now a chance that the host will open the door with the car behind it or are you saying that the 80% or 20% chance applies only to the doors with goats behind them? If it is the latter then the probability remains the same- as long as the host only opens a door that does NOT have the prize behind it, which of the two doors he opens is irrelevant.

what if it's not the latter? in which condition would you get the 5/6 answer?

1. How does the Monty Hall problem differ from the original problem?

The Monty Hall problem is a variation of the original problem where the host has the option to open one of the unchosen doors and reveal a losing prize. This changes the odds and adds a strategic element to the game.

2. What is the optimal strategy for the Monty Hall problem?

The optimal strategy for the Monty Hall problem is to always switch your choice after the host reveals a losing prize. This gives you a higher chance of winning compared to always sticking with your original choice.

3. Does the number of doors in the Monty Hall problem affect the outcome?

No, the number of doors does not affect the outcome of the Monty Hall problem. The optimal strategy remains the same regardless of the number of doors.

4. Is the Monty Hall problem a realistic scenario?

The Monty Hall problem is a simplified version of a game show scenario, but it does have real-life applications in decision-making and probability. It highlights the importance of understanding the odds and making strategic choices.

5. Are there any other variations of the Monty Hall problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the Monty Hall problem, including ones with multiple rounds and different rules for the host's actions. These variations can provide further insights into probability and decision-making strategies.