Are MOOC and OCW Completions Valuable on a Resume?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not completed online courses, such as MOOCs and OCW, should be included on a resume. Some courses offer a statement of accomplishment or credit, while others do not provide any proof of completion. The individual is unsure if these courses should be included in a personal development or hobbies section, or if they should be excluded altogether. It is suggested that only relevant courses for the specific position being applied for should be included, and it may also depend on the level of mastery demonstrated through the course. Ultimately, it may be beneficial to include courses that align with the job being applied for, but this may vary based on the individual's background and the employer's needs.
Cod
I have a question about how resumes can portray MOOCs (Udacity, etc.) and OCW (MIT, etc.) completions.

Should one put such completed courses on a resume? I know some sites like Coursera have a Signature Track that allows you to pay a small amount and earn credit for the course. Others like Udacity and Coursera free courses, offer you a Statement of Accomplishment. Last, course like MIT OCW don't offer anything proving you completed the course successfully. I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to put them in a personal development / hobbies section, but unsure since I'm not an HR guy. I wouldn't put all of the courses I completed, just the relevant ones for the specific position I'm applying for.

Or should they not be included at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at it like this. On your CV/resume you're trying to sell your most significant virtues to a potential employer.

If you've taken a course, been tested on the material, and/or applied it on a project that was later evaluated to demonstrate a degree of mastery, that's one thing.

If all you've done is watched a series of You Tube videos, that's another.

And a lot may depend on the particulars of the position you're applying to as well. If for example, you're a formally educated chemist applying for an chemist position with a butter company, and you've taken a MOOC on the history of butter, that might be a selling point.

1. Can I include MOOCs or open courses on my resume?

Yes, you can definitely include MOOCs or open courses on your resume. These courses can demonstrate your knowledge and skills in a specific subject and can make your resume stand out to potential employers.

2. How should I list MOOCs on my resume?

It is best to list MOOCs or open courses under a section titled "Education" or "Professional Development" on your resume. You can also mention the name of the course, the platform or institution where you took the course, and the date of completion.

3. Do employers value MOOCs or open courses on a resume?

Yes, many employers value MOOCs or open courses on a resume as they show your motivation to learn and improve your skills. They can also demonstrate your ability to adapt to new technologies and methods of learning.

4. Should I only include MOOCs or open courses related to my field?

It is not necessary to only include MOOCs or open courses related to your field on your resume. You can also include courses that showcase your transferable skills or courses that you took out of personal interest. However, do ensure that the courses you list are relevant and add value to your resume.

5. How can I make my MOOCs or open courses stand out on my resume?

To make your MOOCs or open courses stand out on your resume, you can mention any notable projects or assignments you completed during the course, any skills or knowledge you gained, and any certificates or badges you earned. You can also highlight how the course has helped you develop professionally.