Finding the Darcy-Weisbach Friction Factor with Limited Info

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the Darcy Weibach friction factor from the Moody diagram but the person is unable to find the Reynolds number. They have K = 0.02mm, D = 150mm, and Q = 100 l/s as their only information. The formula for Reynolds number is also mentioned but the person is stuck and asks for help. The question also brings up the need to know the fluid and pipe material to make assumptions.
ben49

Homework Statement

I need to find the Darcy Weibach friction factor from the moody diagram but i cannot find reynolds number?

All the information i have is K = 0.02mm D = 150mm Q=100 l/s

The only formula for RE i found is RE = (density) x (velocity) x (diameter of pipe) / (dynamic viscocity)

Im really stuck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Did the problem statement tell you what the fluid is (e.g oil, water)?

No it didnt?

You may need to assume fully developed turbulent flow then. What is the pipe material (e.g. steel, PVC)?

Dear Ben,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your homework. I understand that you are trying to find the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor, but you are unable to find the Reynolds number. Based on the information you have provided, I would suggest using the formula you mentioned to calculate the Reynolds number. In order to do so, you will need to know the density and dynamic viscosity of the fluid flowing through the pipe. These values can be found in tables or online for common fluids. Once you have calculated the Reynolds number, you can use it to find the corresponding friction factor on the Moody diagram. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend consulting with your professor or a classmate for further assistance. Good luck with your assignment!

Best,

1. What is the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor?

The Darcy-Weisbach friction factor, also known as the Darcy-Weisbach coefficient or the friction factor, is a dimensionless factor used in fluid mechanics to calculate the pressure loss due to friction in a pipe or duct.

2. How is the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor calculated?

The Darcy-Weisbach friction factor can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the pipe roughness, fluid velocity, and pipe diameter. Alternatively, it can be determined using a Moody chart, which is a graphical representation of the Darcy-Weisbach equation.

3. What is considered "limited info" for finding the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor?

Limited information for finding the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor typically refers to not having complete information about the pipe or duct, such as the pipe roughness or fluid viscosity. In these cases, simplified equations or charts may be used to estimate the friction factor.

4. Why is it important to find the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor?

The Darcy-Weisbach friction factor is a crucial factor in determining the pressure loss in a pipe or duct, which is important for designing efficient and cost-effective fluid systems. It is also used in many other calculations, such as determining the required pump power and flow rate.

5. Can the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor change over time?

Yes, the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor can change over time due to factors such as pipe corrosion or build-up of deposits on the pipe walls. It is important to regularly check and update the friction factor in calculations to ensure accurate results.