Proving the Moon Landing: Facts and Evidence

In summary: Thanks.In summary, this person's two friends believe that the moon landing was faked. They have tried to explain to them why the flag moved, why there is no need to go back, etc, but it falls on deaf ears. The person recommends looking at some links that will explain the moon landing better.
ryder
I have 2 close friends who believe we've never been to the moon. I've tried explaining to them why the flag moved, why there is no need to go back, etc, and it falls on deaf ears.

This morning i saw this video by NASA [ http://ca.news.yahoo.com/see-Earth's-moon-evolved-nasa-videos-140012773.html ] and it motivated me to make my two friends understand once and fore all.

Aside from what you can find on google, do you PF'ers have a few in your face facts or outright proof that I could tell these two?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1972: THE MOON LANDINGS ARE FAKED!

2012: ... aked ...aked ...aked ...aked ...

-------
Edit:
Ok, I couldn't help it, it was too tempting.

As I feel guilty for not contributing anything, here are some links with further links:
Wikipedia
Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy
That Mythbusters episode (it's true! I saw it on TV!)
The three antennas receiving the signal from the Apollo spacecraft (one in California, one in Spain, one in Australia - so the conspiracy is international)
... and more ... (Google)

Last edited:
As Penguiny said above, your two friends are unlikely to believe any proof that you can get. Actually, I would point this out to them and ask them what proof they would accept. If it's something unreasonable, or if they won't accept any proof, then just tell them that if they won't accept any reasonable proof then maybe they should go to the moon themselves.

Honestly it's not an argument you can win. Someone who doesn't believe what you are saying or the evidence you present will almost never concede.

ryder said:
I have 2 close friends who believe we've never been to the moon. I've tried explaining to them why the flag moved, why there is no need to go back, etc, and it falls on deaf ears.

This morning i saw this video by NASA [ http://ca.news.yahoo.com/see-Earth's-moon-evolved-nasa-videos-140012773.html ] and it motivated me to make my two friends understand once and fore all.

Aside from what you can find on google, do you PF'ers have a few in your face facts or outright proof that I could tell these two?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

When you re-read the Rules link at the top of the page, you will notice that Moon Landing Conspiracies are on the Banned Topics list. Thread closed.

PF Rules said:
Moon landing hoax conspiracy theories

Search PF for many related threads. If any open threads are discovered, please report them to the staff.

1. Did NASA really land on the moon in 1969?

Yes, NASA successfully landed astronauts on the moon in 1969 as part of the Apollo 11 mission. This was the first manned lunar landing and is considered to be one of the greatest achievements in human history.

2. What evidence is there to support the moon landing?

There is a significant amount of evidence to support the moon landing, including photographs, videos, and physical artifacts brought back from the moon. NASA also has detailed records of the mission and testimonies from the astronauts and mission control team.

3. How do we know the photographs from the moon landing are not fake?

The photographs from the moon landing have been thoroughly examined by experts and have been found to be authentic. The shadows, lighting, and other details in the photographs are consistent with what would be expected on the moon's surface. Additionally, the astronauts brought back physical samples of moon rocks, which have been analyzed and found to be of lunar origin.

4. Can we still see evidence of the moon landing on the moon?

Yes, there is still evidence of the moon landing on the moon. The American flags planted by the astronauts are still standing, as the moon has no atmosphere or wind to cause them to degrade. The lunar lander, descent stage, and rover are also still on the moon's surface.

5. Have any other countries or organizations confirmed the moon landing?

Yes, several other countries and independent organizations have confirmed the moon landing. The Soviet Union, who was in direct competition with the United States during the Space Race, acknowledged the moon landing and even sent a congratulatory message to the astronauts. In addition, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has captured images of the Apollo landing sites, providing further evidence of the moon landing.