Moon Libration percentages

• Thread starter Timoothy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, Libration allows us to see a total of about 9% of the far side of the moon. According to NASA, the individual percentages for Longitude, Latitude, Diurnal, and Physical Libration are 4%, 3.4%, 0.5%, and 0.8%, respectively. However, the exact percentage for Diurnal Libration is uncertain as it can vary depending on the time from moonrise to moonset and the Earth's rotation.
Timoothy
I understand that Libration allows us to see a total of about 9% of the far side of the moon, but what are the individual percentages of the far side of the moon that longitude, latitude, Diurnal and physical Libration allows us to see?

I can't seem to "Google-up" these individual percentages, but surly this is known information, and it seems odd to me that it's not readily available.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Timoothy! :smile:

NASA gives figures of 6.5° 7.7° and 1° for the "geometrical" librations and 1.5° for "physical" libration are given at http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Smoon4.htm" :wink:

(btw. i found this by googling "Patrick Moore" :biggrin:)

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Hi Timoothy! :smile:

NASA gives figures of 6.5° 7.7° and 1° for the "geometrical" librations and 1.5° for "physical" libration are given at

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Smoon4.htm"

Hi tt, thanks for your reply.

I had read that page before but moved on since I wasn't sure if they were comparing apples to apples with the "degrees" they were talking about, but assuming the degrees they give ( 7.7, 6.5, 1 and 1.5) are the totals that the different types of Libration allows us to see of the far side of the moon, then Longitude is 4%, Latitude is 3.4%, Diurnal is .5% and Physical is .8%.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=145092&postcount=14

"Diuranl Libration is due the fact that over the course of time from moonrise to moonset we see the Moon from different angles as the Earth rotates. Thus allows us to see about 2% more of the Moon."

Hi Janus
How did you come up with the figure of 2% for Diurnal Libration?

I can confirm that the individual percentages of the far side of the moon that are visible due to libration are known and documented. However, these values may vary slightly depending on factors such as the moon's orbit and Earth's position in relation to the moon. Therefore, it is possible that the exact percentages may not be readily available or easily accessible through a simple internet search.

To answer your question, the individual percentages of the far side of the moon that are visible due to libration are approximately 4% for longitude libration, 1% for latitude libration, 3% for diurnal libration, and 1% for physical libration. These values add up to a total of about 9%, as you mentioned.

It is important to note that these percentages are not exact and may vary slightly. Additionally, libration can also affect different regions of the moon's far side at different times, so the percentages may not be consistent throughout the entire month.

I hope this helps clarify the individual percentages of the far side of the moon that are visible due to libration. As scientists, we are constantly learning and gathering new information, so it is possible that these values may be updated in the future as we continue to study and observe the moon.

1. What is Moon Libration and why is it important?

Moon Libration refers to the slight wobble or oscillation of the Moon as it orbits around the Earth. It is important because it allows us to see slightly more than half of the Moon's surface over time, giving us a better understanding of its topography and geology.

2. How is Moon Libration measured?

Moon Libration is measured by calculating the difference between the Moon's apparent and mean longitudes. This can be done using telescopes and specialized software to track the Moon's movements.

3. What causes Moon Libration?

Moon Libration is caused by the combined gravitational pull of the Earth and the Sun on the Moon. This creates a slight imbalance in the Moon's orbit, resulting in its wobbling motion.

4. How often does Moon Libration occur?

Moon Libration occurs constantly as the Moon orbits around the Earth, but the amount of libration varies depending on the Moon's position in its orbit. It is most noticeable during full moons.

5. Can Moon Libration affect tidal patterns on Earth?

Yes, Moon Libration can have a small effect on tidal patterns on Earth. The Moon's libration can cause slight variations in the strength of its gravitational pull, which can affect the intensity of tides in certain areas.