Is the Moon Often Mistaken for a UFO?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary: Sorry about that.In summary, the BMEWS sites at Thule and Clear used radar to identify objects that were possibly incoming missiles. However, the systems were eventually replaced and there were no static electricity or bangs problems in the control rooms. The Physics Prof. was part of a movement to stop the deployment of systems that would automatically launch on detection.
Physics news on Phys.org
When the old BMEWS sites at Thule and Clear first came on line, radar signals bouncing off the Moon were interpreted as unidentified objects that were possibly incoming missiles. They used the same basic work around to eliminate the false returns for the nearly 40 years that system was in operation.

BMEWS officially stood for Ballistic Missile Early Warning System, but the more popular interpretation was Bewildered Men Existing Without Sex.

I'm not sure about this guy's explanations of the bangs that would sound when one of the transmitters went. We never had a capacitor blow while I was up there, but maybe they replaced the original ones. The Klystrons tended to blow fairly often and they sounded just like a gunshot, which was good in a way. The console operators knew to check their consoles immediately to figure out which transmitter blew.

We didn't have static electricity problems in the control rooms by time I was up there, either. On the other hand, the static electricity in the dorm rooms was horrible.

Last edited:
Since there is obviously no mystery, moved to GD.

I remember also back from the old days when a flock of geese was interpreted by NORAD as an incoming missile attack. I can't recall whether or not they realized their error before scrambling interceptors.

I once had a physics professor that had a list of near launches of nukes caused by things like flocks of birds. IIRC, there were about twenty examples between the 60s and 80s.

Last edited:
Makes one think twice about who's finger is on the trigger.

Danger said:
Makes one think twice about who's finger is on the trigger.

He was part of a movement to stop the deployment of systems that would automatically launch on detection. I don't know if these systems were even installed.

Which 'he' do you refer to?

Danger said:
Which 'he' do you refer to?

The Physics Prof.

So the guy was unable to identify the moon, and then confused it with an UFO? :tongue:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
The Physics Prof.

Sorry, Ivan. Since that came on the heels of my post, where I was scared garbageless about W having his finger on the button, I didn't realize that you were still referring to the prof.

1. Is it possible for the moon to be mistaken for a UFO?

Yes, it is possible for the moon to be mistaken for a UFO. The moon can sometimes appear to be an unidentified flying object due to its changing shape, bright appearance, and movement across the night sky.

2. What are some common reasons for mistaking the moon for a UFO?

Some common reasons for mistaking the moon for a UFO include its changing appearance due to phases, atmospheric conditions making it appear larger or distorted, and its movement across the night sky.

3. How can one differentiate between the moon and a UFO?

There are a few ways to differentiate between the moon and a UFO. The moon will have a consistent shape and size, while a UFO may appear to change in shape and size. Additionally, the moon will move in a predictable path across the night sky, while a UFO may move in unpredictable patterns.

4. Are there any notable instances of the moon being mistaken for a UFO?

Yes, there have been several notable instances of the moon being mistaken for a UFO. In 1966, a series of sightings in Michigan were later confirmed to be the moon. In 2011, the moon was reported as a UFO in the UK, causing a brief panic. However, upon further investigation, it was determined to be the moon.

5. How can we prevent mistaking the moon for a UFO?

To prevent mistaking the moon for a UFO, it is important to educate oneself on the appearance and behavior of the moon. This can include studying its phases, understanding how it moves across the night sky, and being aware of atmospheric conditions that may affect its appearance. Additionally, using tools such as a telescope or binoculars can help confirm the true identity of an object in the sky.