Moore penrose inverse expressed as geometric product?

In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of linear transformations and how it can be expressed directly using the geometric product, rather than matrix inversion. The idea is interesting and raises questions about its potential application in other areas, such as the Moore Penrose inverse. The conversation also mentions the use of singular value decomposition as a tool for understanding the properties of a pseudoinverse.
Peeter
I getting far enough into my geometric algebra books now that I'm at linear transformations, including the result showing how a linear transformation inverse can be expressed directly as a geometric product, using the adjoint and pseudoscalar multiplication, instead of using matrix inversion.

Really I think it amounts to the same thing since to calculate the adjoint of the linear transformation, you'll have to pick a basis and calculate the reciprocal frame vectors to find the components of the adjoint transformation (at least that's the way "Geometric algebra for physicists" outlines it).

Anyhow, the idea is interesting, and makes me wonder if it can be carried further. In particular I observe that the geometric product vector inverse is consistent with the moore penrose "generalized inverse" of a Nx1 matrix. Since that inverse is intrinsically related to projection onto the matrix image, and we can express subspace projection so naturally with the geometric product (ie: dot product of blades), I'd guess that the Moore Penrose inverse could be also be expressed using the geometric product, and that this may highlight some interesting structural features of the generalized inverse hard to see in matrix form.

Since I'm a newbie to the subject I'd also guess that somebody else has already done this (it's not in my books though). Any pointers to where to look (if not would probably be fun to try to calculate)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried singular value decomposition of a pseudoinverse? Then you will have rotation, scaling and rotation again... That will give you the intuition.

thanks for the hint. I'll look at that (that's mentioned later in the linear algebra chapter but I hadn't worked through an example or details and didn't make the connection).

Took a look at some info on SVD. Wow, that's a pretty powerful construct. Gives you rank, an orthonormal basis for both kernel and image, and inverse or pseudoinverse ... all in one shot.

1. What is the Moore-Penrose inverse expressed as a geometric product?

The Moore-Penrose inverse, also known as the pseudoinverse, is a way of finding the inverse of a matrix that may not have a traditional inverse. It can be expressed as a geometric product by using the concept of orthogonal projection.

2. How is the Moore-Penrose inverse different from a traditional inverse?

The traditional inverse of a matrix A, denoted as A-1, is only defined for square matrices and satisfies the property that A-1 * A = I, where I is the identity matrix. However, the Moore-Penrose inverse is defined for any matrix and satisfies the properties of A * A+ * A = A and A+ * A * A+ = A+, where A+ is the Moore-Penrose inverse of A.

3. What are the applications of the Moore-Penrose inverse expressed as a geometric product?

The Moore-Penrose inverse has various applications in fields such as statistics, signal processing, and control systems. It is used to solve linear equations, approximate solutions to overdetermined systems, and find solutions to least squares problems.

4. Can the Moore-Penrose inverse be calculated for any matrix?

Yes, the Moore-Penrose inverse can be calculated for any matrix, including rectangular and singular matrices. However, the calculation process may be more complex for non-square matrices.

5. How is the Moore-Penrose inverse expressed as a geometric product calculated?

The Moore-Penrose inverse expressed as a geometric product can be calculated using the singular value decomposition (SVD) method, which decomposes a matrix into a product of three matrices. The Moore-Penrose inverse can be expressed as the product of the third matrix, the inverse of the second matrix, and the transpose of the first matrix in the SVD.