Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moose Season Approaches

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

pro: free meat for the winter
    con: not so free first time: must buy big chest freezer

sighting in my .270 today

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Wish it was "free" here. I have paid to enter the lottery for at least 20 years, with no success. A well-known custom loader made me up some very heavy loads (Caution: Ruger Model 1 only!) that freight along at 1800 fps in repayment for a favor I did him. 500 gr. at 1800 fps = ouch, but that would put a moose down quick! Have never fired a single one of them. I'm not going to sight in the man-killers unless I get a chance to go after big game, and I've about given up on sending the state my money.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

That reminds me I still need to buy a license.

yeah a lung shot from a .270 means I'll potentially have to track the moose for a couple minutes, hopefully not into a small body of water.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    Not what I heard.

7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

squirrels are always in season. Like mosquitoes and other pests.

8. Sep 5, 2011 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Here, too, as long as they're the red vermin. The gray ones are large enough and tasty enough to make it worth while hunting them if you are hungry.

9. Sep 5, 2011 #8
    HAHAHA!

Brilliant! Took me a while but made me laugh pretty hard.

10. Sep 5, 2011 #9
    I'm no fan of hunting lotteries. They're rip-offs designed to line the Fish and Game's pockets. You should only have to pay if you're given the privilege to hunt.

I've had plenty of opportunity to hunt moose. I always seem to bump into them while backpacking. Unfortunately, it's usually not hunting season, and I've never had a license, so about the only thing I caught was a wry grin.

11. Sep 5, 2011 #10

Evo

Meese killers. :mad:

Run Meese Run!! Run, Run, Run!!!!

12. Sep 5, 2011 #11

turbo

Gold Member

They are a northern heavy-bodied class of elk. As I recall, you really like to eat elk. As a kid, I ate a lot of moose, even though hunting them was illegal. My uncles, grand-uncles, etc, weren't all that observant of the game laws, as long as we had meat all winter.

13. Sep 5, 2011 #12

Evo

No, never had elk, just deer. And deer that died naturally of old age in the deer retirement castle. All of the meat I eat comes from animals that died of natural causes, in their sleep. Don't you dare tell me no.

14. Sep 5, 2011 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may be "free" but it's not particularly tasty (IMO of course).

15. Sep 5, 2011 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Improperly-cooked moose meat is like all other improperly-cooked meat. I have had boiled dinners made with moose roast meats that would make "chief of state" dinners. And quick-fried moose tenderloin with sauteed potato and onions would make most ladies swoon.

16. Sep 5, 2011 #15
    Personally, hunting illegally to feed oneself vs. to get a trophy are two different things in my mind. You cannot really blame someone for hunting to feed themselves and/or their family. While ideally it should be done legally, if it is the difference in making it through the winter or the year or not, being able to eat is important.

My father-in-law was an avid outdoors man, if there was a permit or a season for it, he probably was out getting it. Ice fishing in the winter as well. While it didn't mean they starved without it, it supplemented quite well.

17. Sep 5, 2011 #16
    where i live we have to kill deer to control the population. because we're the only predator of consequence left. to not do so would be more inhumane, with more pain and suffering from slow starvation, disease, frequent car strikes, etc.

18. Sep 5, 2011 #17
    There are some problem areas in Michigan as well, the number of registered hunters goes down each year I believe and so the deer population goes up. In the thumb area I've seen herds of 20-30 deer on residential property cleaning out flower beds, gardens, bird feeders and just about anything else they can eat.

They almost vermin, as well as turkeys. Seen flocks of these in the city area wandering through people's yards.

19. Sep 5, 2011 #18

rhody

Gold Member

My Dad and hunting buddies went to Canada, early 70's, scored two cows with permit, the trailer they tried hauling back the meat with kept getting flats, too much weight, they traded meat for flat repairs and eventually replacement tires, and if I remember correctly, even a bigger trailer. True story. I had moose steak to prove it, not bad in marinade on the grill. You better have a four wheeler, or a real strong back, field dressing a hind quarter can easily weigh over 150 - 200 lbs, lug that too far and you are toast too. God forbid you have to yank the carcass out of a stream, I believe one of the moose they shot had to be retrieved this way, not fun either.

Rhody...

20. Sep 5, 2011 #19
    I only eat animals that are shaped like cubes.

21. Sep 5, 2011 #20

rhody

Gold Member

Wow, after my first post above, I hadn't read this one once I started at the top of the thread, this gave me chills, :bugeye:, my Dad has had to track both moose and deer in water before, once a doe in a fast moving stream in winter, he dam near got hypothermia in the process. Thank God he was close to a vehicle when he could get warm and shed wet clothes/gear.

Rhody... That serendipitous moment was truly weird my friends, a first for me, at least on PF, happens all the time in person, but never ever on a forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook