Moose Season: Prep for Free Winter Meat & Sighting in .270

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary: HAHAHA! Brilliant! Took me a while but made me laugh pretty hard.I'm no fan of hunting lotteries. They're rip-offs designed to line the Fish and Game's pockets. You should only have to pay if you're given the privilege to hunt. I've had plenty of opportunity to hunt moose. I always seem to bump into them while backpacking. Unfortunately, it's usually not hunting season, and I've never had a license, so about the only thing I caught was a wry grin.I've never eaten elk (or deer), just squirrels. They're always in season. Like mosquitoes and other pests, squirrels are always in season. Like mosquitoes and
Pythagorean
Gold Member
pro: free meat for the winter
con: not so free first time: must buy big chest freezer

sighting in my .270 today

Physics news on Phys.org
Wish it was "free" here. I have paid to enter the lottery for at least 20 years, with no success. A well-known custom loader made me up some very heavy loads (Caution: Ruger Model 1 only!) that freight along at 1800 fps in repayment for a favor I did him. 500 gr. at 1800 fps = ouch, but that would put a moose down quick! Have never fired a single one of them. I'm not going to sight in the man-killers unless I get a chance to go after big game, and I've about given up on sending the state my money.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

turbo said:
Wish it was "free" here. I have paid to enter the lottery for at least 20 years, with no success. A well-known custom loader made me up some very heavy loads (Caution: Ruger Model 1 only!) that freight along at 1800 fps in repayment for a favor I did him. 500 gr. at 1800 fps = ouch, but that would put a moose down quick! Have never fired a single one of them. I'm not going to sight in the man-killers unless I get a chance to go after big game, and I've about given up on sending the state my money.

That reminds me I still need to buy a license.

yeah a lung shot from a .270 means I'll potentially have to track the moose for a couple minutes, hopefully not into a small body of water.

Not what I heard.
Bullwinkle said:
Squirrel season.

squirrels are always in season. Like mosquitoes and other pests.

Pythagorean said:
squirrels are always in season. Like mosquitoes and other pests.
Here, too, as long as they're the red vermin. The gray ones are large enough and tasty enough to make it worth while hunting them if you are hungry.

jtbell said:

HAHAHA!

Brilliant! Took me a while but made me laugh pretty hard.

turbo said:
Wish it was "free" here. I have paid to enter the lottery for at least 20 years, with no success.

I'm no fan of hunting lotteries. They're rip-offs designed to line the Fish and Game's pockets. You should only have to pay if you're given the privilege to hunt.

I've had plenty of opportunity to hunt moose. I always seem to bump into them while backpacking. Unfortunately, it's usually not hunting season, and I've never had a license, so about the only thing I caught was a wry grin.

Meese killers. :mad:

Run Meese Run! Run, Run, Run!

Evo said:
Meese killers. :mad:

Run Meese Run! Run, Run, Run!
They are a northern heavy-bodied class of elk. As I recall, you really like to eat elk. As a kid, I ate a lot of moose, even though hunting them was illegal. My uncles, grand-uncles, etc, weren't all that observant of the game laws, as long as we had meat all winter.

turbo said:
They are a northern heavy-bodied class of elk. As I recall, you really like to eat elk. As a kid, I ate a lot of moose, even though hunting them was illegal. My uncles, grand-uncles, etc, weren't all that observant of the game laws, as long as we had meat all winter.
No, never had elk, just deer. And deer that died naturally of old age in the deer retirement castle. All of the meat I eat comes from animals that died of natural causes, in their sleep. Don't you dare tell me no.

Pythagorean said:

It may be "free" but it's not particularly tasty (IMO of course).

lisab said:
It may be "free" but it's not particularly tasty (IMO of course).
Improperly-cooked moose meat is like all other improperly-cooked meat. I have had boiled dinners made with moose roast meats that would make "chief of state" dinners. And quick-fried moose tenderloin with sauteed potato and onions would make most ladies swoon.

turbo said:

Personally, hunting illegally to feed oneself vs. to get a trophy are two different things in my mind. You cannot really blame someone for hunting to feed themselves and/or their family. While ideally it should be done legally, if it is the difference in making it through the winter or the year or not, being able to eat is important.

My father-in-law was an avid outdoors man, if there was a permit or a season for it, he probably was out getting it. Ice fishing in the winter as well. While it didn't mean they starved without it, it supplemented quite well.

where i live we have to kill deer to control the population. because we're the only predator of consequence left. to not do so would be more inhumane, with more pain and suffering from slow starvation, disease, frequent car strikes, etc.

Proton Soup said:
where i live we have to kill deer to control the population. because we're the only predator of consequence left. to not do so would be more inhumane, with more pain and suffering from slow starvation, disease, frequent car strikes, etc.

There are some problem areas in Michigan as well, the number of registered hunters goes down each year I believe and so the deer population goes up. In the thumb area I've seen herds of 20-30 deer on residential property cleaning out flower beds, gardens, bird feeders and just about anything else they can eat.

They almost vermin, as well as turkeys. Seen flocks of these in the city area wandering through people's yards.

Pythagorean said:

My Dad and hunting buddies went to Canada, early 70's, scored two cows with permit, the trailer they tried hauling back the meat with kept getting flats, too much weight, they traded meat for flat repairs and eventually replacement tires, and if I remember correctly, even a bigger trailer. True story. I had moose steak to prove it, not bad in marinade on the grill. You better have a four wheeler, or a real strong back, field dressing a hind quarter can easily weigh over 150 - 200 lbs, lug that too far and you are toast too. God forbid you have to yank the carcass out of a stream, I believe one of the moose they shot had to be retrieved this way, not fun either.

Rhody...

Evo said:
All of the meat I eat comes from animals that died of natural causes, in their sleep.
I only eat animals that are shaped like cubes.

Pythagorean said:
That reminds me I still need to buy a license.

yeah a lung shot from a .270 means I'll potentially have to track the moose for a couple minutes, hopefully not into a small body of water.

Wow, after my first post above, I hadn't read this one once I started at the top of the thread, this gave me chills, :bugeye:, my Dad has had to track both moose and deer in water before, once a doe in a fast moving stream in winter, he dam near got hypothermia in the process. Thank God he was close to a vehicle when he could get warm and shed wet clothes/gear.

Rhody... That serendipitous moment was truly weird my friends, a first for me, at least on PF, happens all the time in person, but never ever on a forum.

Evo said:
No, never had elk, just deer. And deer that died naturally of old age in the deer retirement castle. All of the meat I eat comes from animals that died of natural causes, in their sleep. Don't you dare tell me no.
And did they live out their lives being entertained by Del's circus mouse? Boss Percy bad. He mean. He stepped on Del's mouse. I took it back though.

rhody said:
Wow, after my first post above, I hadn't read this one once I started at the top of the thread, this gave me chills, :bugeye:, my Dad has had to track both moose and deer in water before, once a doe in a fast moving stream in winter, he dam near got hypothermia in the process. Thank God he was close to a vehicle when he could get warm and shed wet clothes/gear.

Rhody...

One Thanksgiving day when I was much younger and stupider, I waded into a large bog to help my brother-in-law retrieve a buck he had shot. The buck was large and it was a long drag to get it to the road. When we got it back to their place so he could change clothes, the car wouldn't start (common occurrence with the junks he drove), so we went out to the parts-department (junkers in the back yard) to find a starter that would fit. We removed a starter from a Buick, but the bolt-holes didn't line up on the Malibu, so we took the starters inside the house (yay! warm in there!) and slugged down hot coffee while re-coring the Malibu starter with the Buick parts, then back out to lying in the frozen driveway to install the rebuild. By the time we got into town to register the deer, I was mostly frozen and exhausted. I got some steak from that buck - should have been the tenderloins!

Last edited:
turbo said:
One Thanksgiving day when I was much younger and stupider, I waded into a large bog to help my brother-in-law retrieve a buck he had shot. The buck was large and it was a long drag to get it to the road. When we got it back to their place so he could change clothes, the car wouldn't start (common occurrence with the junks he drove), so we went out to the parts-department (junkers in the back yard) to find a starter that would fit. We removed a starter from a Buick, but the bolt-holes didn't line up on the Malibu, so we took the starters inside the house (yay! warm in there!) and slugged down hot coffee while re-coring the Malibu starter with the Buick parts, then back out to lying in the frozen driveway to install the rebuild. By the time we got into town to register the deer, I was mostly frozen and exhausted. I got some steak from that buck - should have been the tenderloins!
Turbo,

Wow, a lot of hunters have stories like this. I prefer to think of it as: "The prey's revenge".

Rhody...

Evo said:
All of the meat I eat comes from animals that died of natural causes

That's, uh, well, sort of disgusting. I'd rather scarf down fresh road kill, as most "natural causes" are complicated by disease.

DoggerDan said:
That's, uh, well, sort of disgusting. I'd rather scarf down fresh road kill, as most "natural causes" are complicated by disease.

sshhhh! none of that logic stuff in this thread!

Next up, a video on how your beef was treated up until slaughter. Enjoy your burgers!

jtbell said:

Funny you should say that. A møøse once bit my sister.

1. What is the best time of year for moose hunting?

The best time for moose hunting is during "moose season," which typically runs from late September to early October. This is when moose are most active and their meat is at its best quality.

2. How should I prepare for moose season?

To prepare for moose season, you should make sure you have all the necessary gear, such as a rifle, ammunition, and hunting tags. You should also familiarize yourself with the area you will be hunting in and practice shooting your rifle to ensure accuracy.

3. What should I know about sighting in a .270 rifle for moose hunting?

Sighting in a .270 rifle for moose hunting is important to ensure accuracy and a clean kill. It is recommended to sight in your rifle at a distance of 100 yards, using a high-quality scope and ammunition. It is also important to practice shooting from different positions, such as standing, kneeling, and prone.

4. What are some tips for successfully hunting moose during the winter?

Hunting moose during the winter can be challenging, but there are some tips that can increase your chances of success. First, focus on areas with high moose populations and good food sources. Use calls and scents to attract moose, and be patient and persistent. Additionally, dress warmly and use proper gear to stay safe and comfortable in cold temperatures.

5. How should I handle and store moose meat after a successful hunt?

After a successful moose hunt, it is important to properly handle and store the meat to ensure its freshness and safety. Immediately after the kill, field dress the moose and cool the meat down. Once you have transported the meat home, it can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to a week or frozen for longer storage. It is also recommended to have the meat processed by a professional butcher to ensure it is properly prepared for consumption.