Morality and Perception: Defining Good Morals

• Thread starter noXion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Perception
In summary: Fair price' depends on enforcing bargains. And people will invariably do what ever they can do to get around this enforcement. You cannot have a market without security, without punishment for those who do not want to play that game. Its only free if I have the option not to pay.The whole point of capitalism is that people are allowed to trade things they don't need for things they do need. Competition drives prices down, but not below the minimum that people are willing to work for. If prices are fair and non-arbitrary then morality can be also.
"If someone is stealing for food, and your 'honest' store owner is selling for profit, so he can buy a nice car, who is more justified? Bear in mind, your honest store owner is implicitly denying this someone food, so they can get their nice car."

in the hypothetical free market competition should prevent this.

"Prices fluctuate based on a thousand variables, most of which have nothing to do with the quality of the merchandise. Your ruler is changing all the time. "

of course it changes. it is supposed to change to reflect changes in supply and demand. in the real world there are complications but again we are talking about a hypothetical free market here.

"Bills don't spontaneously appear or fall from trees. People have to charge you first"

maybe not but the reasons for them, diseases/disasters, do. and that was the point. these sorts of bills can be taken care of by some sort of fund therefore i see no reason you should use them against the idea of a hypothetical free market price.

i am not attempting to defend real world capitalism here. i am trying to explain the foundations of morality. the usual way people do that is to talk about the golden rule but then people argue that everone has different likes and dislikes and that makes it impossible to implement the golden rule effectively. well the same thing can be said about the economy. everyone places a different amount of value on things and that should make the idea of fair trade impossible. but the hypothetical free market will through supply and demand arrive at legitimate price for each and every product thereby making fair trade possible. if fair trade is possible then so is the golden rule.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Xori said:
Your sample size of intelligent people that can't balance their checkbook is intriguiging, but irrelavant. There is a correlation between income and IQ

Income and the ability to manage money are not the same thing.
I.Q. is mostly ego-trip crap.

in a capitalistic society. More intelligent people have an easier time attaining higher education, getting better jobs, moving up, etc...

All other things being equal. They generally are not. People with so-called higher IQs also tend to have a higher rate of psychological problems and an inability to maintain social bonds. Most people 'advance' in their careers based on 'networking', or the old, its not what you know but who... Having social skills is much more important. They even have a name for it, its called Emotional intelligence, but its not IQ.

You are introducing additional variables into the analogy that were not there to try to prove your point.

It was a bad analogy, I pointed out some flaws.
You're creating an artifical scenario where everyone starts in the same place.
That may work in games, where both members agree to play and by a set of rules. This is not the case with life.

Last edited:
granpa said:
"If someone is stealing for food, and your 'honest' store owner is selling for profit, so he can buy a nice car, who is more justified? Bear in mind, your honest store owner is implicitly denying this someone food, so they can get their nice car."

in the hypothetical free market competition should prevent this.

Thats easy to say when it remains a hypothetical. You sound like a preacher, you're a true believer. No system is perfect. If I as a seller want to maintain a certain price level, say with oil, all I have to do is agree not so tell below a certain price, it benefits all sellers to do this.

fair-trade agreement
http://www.bartleby.com/61/64/F0016400.html
NOUN: A commercial agreement under which distributors sell products of a given class at no less than a minimum price set by the manufacturer.

This eliminates the ability of some to buy it. And if I need it to survive, too bad.

i am trying to explain the foundations of morality. the usual way people do that is to talk about the golden rule but then people argue that everone has different likes and dislikes and that makes it impossible to implement the golden rule effectively. well the same thing can be said about the economy. everyone places a different amount of value on things and that should make the idea of fair trade impossible. but the hypothetical free market will through supply and demand arrive at legitimate price for each and every product thereby making fair trade possible. if fair trade is possible then so is the golden rule.

I'd say both are fantasy. And you haven't said anything to convince me otherwise.

The golden rule comes from an actual strategy that works, but the rule itself is incomplete. Once again, in game theory, its called tit-for-tat. Its not about fairness, rewards or punishments. Its entirely strategic.

JoeDawg said:
Income and the ability to manage money are not the same thing.
I.Q. is mostly ego-trip crap.

The ability to manage money is only one of the requirements of becoming wealth. Earning is important too. Incomes are correlated to IQs, as much as you'd like to say otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

Plz stop saying opinions that are completely irrelavant. You're losing credibility.

All other things being equal. They generally are not. People with so-called higher IQs also tend to have a higher rate of psychological problems and an inability to maintain social bonds. Most people 'advance' in their careers based on 'networking', or the old, its not what you know but who... Having social skills is much more important. They even have a name for it, its called Emotional intelligence, but its not IQ.

I can only assume you are referring to extremely high IQs here, as that is the only case that would make sense. Otherwise, please provide referance.

If extremely high IQs cause these things, that STILL means there's a correlation between IQ and wealth, it just happens to be porabolic.

It was a bad analogy, I pointed out some flaws.
You're creating an artifical scenario where everyone starts in the same place.
That may work in games, where both members agree to play and by a set of rules. This is not the case with life.

I see the analogy as perfectly valid. Most of the outside factors determining how well you do in a free market are completely unrelated to the structure of the free market and are usually more political, such as which country you're born, skincolor, etc.. Has nothing to do with a free market.

'Thats easy to say when it remains a hypothetical. You sound like a preacher, you're a true believer. No system is perfect. '

are you deaf? i plainly stated that i am not defending real world capitalism. i am talking about an ideal here. and i am only talking about that as it relates to the foundations of morality. you keep attacking my statements by introducing real world complications that have nothing to do with what i am saying. whether such a system does or even could work in reality is irrelevant.

'If I as a seller want to maintain a certain price level, say with oil, all I have to do is agree not so tell below a certain price, it benefits all sellers to do this.'

if you did this in an ideal free market, competition would quickly drive you out of business.

Last edited:
Xori said:
Incomes are correlated to IQs, as much as you'd like to say otherwise.

You're a liar. I said nothing of the sort. The fact you can correlate the decrease in the number of pirates with a rise in the Earth's temperature doesn't prove anything.

IQ is mostly about ego. It was designed to categorize those with low intelligence, not high intelligence. The fact high iq correlates with high income is only meaningful if you put value on IQ. I don't, but I certainly don't deny your correlation. I think its meaningless.

I'd say we're done here.

Last edited:
granpa said:
are you deaf? i plainly stated that i am not defending real world capitalism. i am talking about an ideal here. and i am only talking about that as it relates to the foundations of morality. you keep attacking my statements by introducing real world complications that have nothing to do with what i am saying. whether such a system does or even could work in reality is irrelevant.

Its completely relevant to the question of morality.
Morality is about what people should and shouldn't do.

You keep using the word hypothetical like a shield. As if the fact its a hypothetical argument makes it impervious to criticism.
People can argue hypotheticals all day and never agree anything
And an analogy is not evidence, nor does it support an argument.
Analogies, when used properly, simply describe an argument.

If your economic analogy is describing your view of morality, I think you're wrong. And I've said why. It doesn't relate to reality, so its not really useful to people.

So JoeDawg, according to you, a free market fails because people sometimes can't afford stuff?

There has to be a way to allocate limited resources to unlimited wants. There's no "fair" method, any method will favor one group of people to another. Like I said, name a "fair" method that more fair than the current one. Otherwise, you should stop critizing the current one.

All you're doing is going off on irrelavant points. I'm have trouble keeping up with what point you're trying to make because your sentances don't even logically tie in.