Dealing with Moral Disagreements: What Strategies Can Help?

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of how to deal with people one disagrees with, particularly in moral debates. The participants share their own approaches, such as using logic and empathy, or resorting to intimidation tactics. They also recognize the limitations of trying to change someone's perspective and suggest finding a balance between attachment to one's beliefs and being open to learning from others.
Dooga Blackrazor
I'm curious what people use to deal with people they disagree with. When debating certain topics I find myself disagreeing with certain individuals. Lighter issues are often resolved, but some issues are not.

When you run into an issue you feel strongly on, and someone disagrees strongly. What do you do to deal with the situation? Leave, Debate further ect?

Personally I find some moral debates have a correct answer. People say morals are all theory, which they may be. But I just don't "get" the whole logic behind the statement "everything is perspective." I think certain moral issues can be solved logically and with common sense and wise tactics such as "stepping into the other persons shoes." In reality, this is not the common belief. According to many, morals are simply perspective.

I feel I have somewhat of a moral superiority to the average person. This is probably because I'm generally more mature than people of my age, which doesn't say much, but regardless, it's something I'm trying to deal with in a manner that it becomes discreet.

Anyway, when you have a moral stance and the issues seems black and white to you, how do you handle the situation when people still disagree. I've participated in certain debates for long periods of time and logically explained myself and they don't seem to shift their perspective. What do you do from there?

~I'd appreciate it if no derogatory remarks were sent my way. Ironically, the topic itself may seem foolish to you as other issues seem foolish to me. I'm simply trying to find out how to deal with strong disagreements in a productive manner and how to improve my level of wisdom.

Physics news on Phys.org
I try to stare them down personally with a gaze that says "what does this ____ think they are trying to sell me now" and use a variety of intimidation tactics such as yelling or cast the spell of loud voice and large arm movements works wonders, and as a last resort physical threats or breaking inanimate objects, sometimes I can get so angry my eyes bleed and that works well too. Other times though it's better just to suggest your way, who really cares if you win or lose a debate if we are all losers from the start and winning suggests the end to trying to learn more, there is always something more to learn from even the most mundane and ordinary things if you look closely enough and usually it seems conflict sustains itself due to ignorance on everyone's part, or at least my own part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dooga Blackrazor said:
I'm curious what people use to deal with people they disagree with.

Patience, understanding, electroshock treatments :surprise:
Okay, seriously, it takes wisdom, work, and work.
I think everything is perspective- fundamentally. People don't have to make sense or be logical or consistent. But people can unknowingly break the rules they intend or want to follow- and this is when the work begins :)
When you feel like you have exhausted yourself, ask what the agreement is worth. I won't speak for others, but you cannot make me agree with you. You cannot make me :tongue2: Sometimes you're helping and sometimes you're banging your head against a wall.
Happy thoughts
Rachel

Last edited:
i always try to remember that my answer or view is only for me. they are based on my beliefs and ideals.

another person is obliged to do the same or risk losing himself. as long as we are discussing and debating whereby we examine these beliefs, etc I will continue. once a line has been drawn in the sand, I withdraw. anyone that is very devout about any of their beliefs usually doesn't want to change or hear conflicting ideas, best to leave them alone.

problem is, his beliefs and ideals are correct and best for him. only s/he can change them. all we can do is offer our view and reasons, then stand back.

there are no greater or lesser ideas, beliefs, morals or souls. they are all equal and necessary at the time they are embraced.

love and peace,
olde drunk

Dooga, I share a lot of your sentiments. Something I've learned is just to expect people to not be rational, and also to realize that the other person probably thinks the same way about you. You just have to let things go sometimes. Emotional attachment to your arguments can be dangerous. You have to learn to have a workable level of attachment.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Anyway, when you have a moral stance and the issues seems black and white to you, how do you handle the situation when people still disagree. I've participated in certain debates for long periods of time and logically explained myself and they don't seem to shift their perspective. What do you do from there?

Find a really dull brick wall and start slamming your head into it. It never fails.

As for me, i recognize that as long as my morality is based any assumption no matter how insignificant, i cannot dictate it as fact to others. its not an issue of eprspective, its an issue of the inability to prove that my morality is superior to theirs.

What is morality?

Morality refers to a set of principles or values that guide individual and societal behavior. It is often used to distinguish between right and wrong actions, and can also vary based on cultural, religious, and personal beliefs.

How does one's perspective affect their sense of morality?

Perspective plays a significant role in shaping one's sense of morality. Our beliefs, experiences, and cultural background can all influence how we perceive and interpret moral issues. What may be considered morally acceptable in one culture or perspective may not be in another.

Can morality be objectively defined?

The concept of objective morality, or a universal set of moral principles, is a contentious topic among philosophers and scientists. Some argue that morality is subjective and varies based on individual perspectives, while others believe in a universal moral code that applies to all individuals.

How is morality related to ethics?

Morality and ethics are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight distinction between the two. Morality refers to personal or societal values and principles, while ethics refers to the study of moral principles and how they should be applied in different situations.

Can science explain morality?

There is ongoing research in the field of neuroscience and psychology to understand the biological and psychological factors that influence moral decision-making. While science can provide insights into the mechanisms behind morality, it is ultimately a complex and multifaceted concept that cannot be fully explained by scientific methods alone.