Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Morality and values

1. Jun 19, 2004 #1
    i am by no means a scientist. There are a lot of things i do not know. However, I do know about morality and values. Even though I am a christian, I will leave my beliefs out of this discussion. Morals are nothing but actions and beliefs held by a group of people and are scrutanized by society. the defference in morals is determined by the defference in societies. And by societies I am not talking about countries, a society could be a religious group, a cult, a nation or just a group of people.
    Values do not differ that much from morals. However they are more personal. They deal less with the society, and more with the individual. More than just a belief, values can be personal goals and things that are very important to you. Values can even mean more to you than morals, and sometimes they can even contradict each other.

did that help any? it makes sense to me so....reply back when you can!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2004 #2
    Well, without agreeing that "values do not differ that much ffrom morals" - I do agree that "they are more personal." For example, I "value" my life over your life – even though I can’t "morally" justify that position. Also I "value" small towns over big cities - which doesn’t lead me to any "moral" issue. NOW ----- I’m sure there are some technical definitions floating out there that might describe the terms "value" and "moral" differently – and I’m willing to use the meanings that the crowd I’m talking with uses. But that’s how I distinguish the terms - now. I think that a relativist tends to rely heavily on the word "value" when thinking about relationships / interactions - making "morals" relative in a way similar to the way that I see "values."
  4. Jun 20, 2004 #3
    huh? Morality is about value based decision making. As well, contextualism is true but I don't know what "more personal" means, but I suppose you are trying to refer to contextualism, I would hope so anyway.\
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?