Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Morals of buying iffy gear

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

So you are offered a certain product that is much cheaper than in the shops, the tax sort of wasnt paid at customs, would you buy any?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't buy things that are offered to me. Ever.

And I would only go looking to buy such a thing if I didn't mind if it stopped working the moment I got out of eyesight.

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3
    My dad some 20 years ago was offered a video camera for $100. Back then, of course, they were more expensive than that.

The catch? It was outside of some store by some shady guys. My dad comes home and asks people. It was him, my mom, and then his side of the family in one house back then. Mom says don't do it. His side of the family says go for it. It's a great deal. The box was sealed in plastic foil, so he figures it's all good. He held it, it wasn't empty. Okay, he went for it. He comes home, opens it up, and finds rocks. Plain old rocks. His side of the family laughs and walks away.

Moral of the story? My dad isn't very bright and his family isn't very good.

Oh, and don't buy gear from shady people.

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Has everyone already concluded that there are no considerations bigger than the prospective quality of the merchandise? We are talking about purchasing merchandise that is almost certainly illegal.

No, I wouldn't do it. Regardless of how likely the product is to be of good manufacture, and regardless of your likelyhood of getting caught, some things you don't do just because they are wrong.

6. Apr 11, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Oh, I thought this thread was about Morchella mushrooms.

7. Apr 11, 2008 #6

Evo

My first husband was a professional photographer and did photography for NASA through a contractor that I won't name.

He used Nikon professional cameras and found a company in Japan that would sell Nikon products at half the price and ship them to the US. The only thing was they would black out the Nikon name with a marker. They were original products. He bought all of his lenses and filters from them.

So, if you are smart and can find the right connections, you are a very lucky person. 99% of the time, it's a scam.

8. Apr 11, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I am torn between morality and knowing i can buy some good stuff cheap.

9. Apr 11, 2008 #8

Evo

If you know you can buy good cheap stuff, go for it. EXCEPT if it was illegal.

10. Apr 11, 2008 #9
    buy it used from someone you know, trust, and then test it first anyway

11. Apr 11, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

You can not buy these things used.

12. Apr 11, 2008 #11
    what exactly are you thinking about buying?

I thought that 'iffy' may be a brand name that I didn't recognize or know--so I did a google-----THIS thread came up FIRST on google

search was "iffy gear" in parentheses

google is getting fast at harvesting

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  13. Apr 11, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Oh heck, well i am not really Wolram i am just using his works computer, Iffy is dodgy,
    not on the straight and narrow, the things usuallly come with a tip, i better go now before W finds out.

14. Apr 11, 2008 #13
    well, there's google earth, too

(we can see where you're going)

15. Apr 11, 2008 #14
    I'd buy it and not care so long as its real, and it works. Who cares? Seriously.

16. Apr 11, 2008 #15

Evo

Nope, you can only see where someone has been.

17. Apr 11, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Lol.

18. Apr 12, 2008 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What does one's character go for these days? 50 bucks? :rolleyes:

19. Apr 12, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

In my case it is more of finding ways to stick it to Gordon Brown, not that he would notice personally, lets face it the rich have accountants to fiddle the books for them, what do us poor guys have? look at bogus expense claims for Brit MPs, they get away with corruption of a far greater magnitude ,these days it is not about character, most Brit MPs would have resigned if they had any, it is about keeping ones earned money to ones self.

20. Apr 12, 2008 #19
    You really think you're taking some sort of moral high ground here by not buying it?

21. Apr 12, 2008 #20

wolram

Gold Member

A few hundred years ago it was the Brit monarchy that encouraged privateers to plunder the seven seas, now it is accountants and politicians that encourage piracy, so why should your basically honest joe be left out of the robbery?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?