Should I buy iffy gear with unpaid taxes?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary: What does one's character go for these days? 50 bucks? :rolleyes:In my case it is more of finding ways to stick it to Gordon Brown, not that he would notice personally, let's face it the rich have accountants to fiddle the books for them, what do us poor guys have? look at bogus expense claims for Brit MPs, they get away with corruption of a far greater magnitude, these days it is not about character, most Brit MPs would have resigned if they had any, it is about keeping ones earned money to ones self.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So you are offered a certain product that is much cheaper than in the shops, the tax sort of wasnt paid at customs, would you buy any?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't buy things that are offered to me. Ever.

And I would only go looking to buy such a thing if I didn't mind if it stopped working the moment I got out of eyesight.

My dad some 20 years ago was offered a video camera for $100. Back then, of course, they were more expensive than that.

The catch? It was outside of some store by some shady guys. My dad comes home and asks people. It was him, my mom, and then his side of the family in one house back then. Mom says don't do it. His side of the family says go for it. It's a great deal. The box was sealed in plastic foil, so he figures it's all good. He held it, it wasn't empty. Okay, he went for it. He comes home, opens it up, and finds rocks. Plain old rocks. His side of the family laughs and walks away.

Moral of the story? My dad isn't very bright and his family isn't very good.

Oh, and don't buy gear from shady people.

Has everyone already concluded that there are no considerations bigger than the prospective quality of the merchandise? We are talking about purchasing merchandise that is almost certainly illegal.

No, I wouldn't do it. Regardless of how likely the product is to be of good manufacture, and regardless of your likelyhood of getting caught, some things you don't do just because they are wrong.

Oh, I thought this thread was about Morchella mushrooms.

My first husband was a professional photographer and did photography for NASA through a contractor that I won't name.

He used Nikon professional cameras and found a company in Japan that would sell Nikon products at half the price and ship them to the US. The only thing was they would black out the Nikon name with a marker. They were original products. He bought all of his lenses and filters from them.

So, if you are smart and can find the right connections, you are a very lucky person. 99% of the time, it's a scam.

I am torn between morality and knowing i can buy some good stuff cheap.

wolram said:
If you know you can buy good cheap stuff, go for it. EXCEPT if it was illegal.

buy it used from someone you know, trust, and then test it first anyway

rewebster said:
buy it used from someone you know, trust, and then test it first anyway

You can not buy these things used.

what exactly are you thinking about buying?

I thought that 'iffy' may be a brand name that I didn't recognize or know--so I did a google-----THIS thread came up FIRST on google

search was "iffy gear" in parentheses

google is getting fast at harvesting

Last edited:
rewebster said:
what exactly are you thinking about buying?

I thought that 'iffy' may be a brand name that I didn't recogize or know--so I did a google-----THIS thread came up FIRST on google

google is getting fast at harvesting

Oh heck, well i am not really Wolram i am just using his works computer, Iffy is dodgy,
not on the straight and narrow, the things usuallly come with a tip, i better go now before W finds out.

well, there's google earth, too

(we can see where you're going)

I'd buy it and not care so long as its real, and it works. Who cares? Seriously.

rewebster said:
well, there's google earth, too

(we can see where you're going)
Nope, you can only see where someone has been.

Evo said:
Nope, you can only see where someone has been.

Lol.

wolram said:
What does one's character go for these days? 50 bucks? :rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:

In my case it is more of finding ways to stick it to Gordon Brown, not that he would notice personally, let's face it the rich have accountants to fiddle the books for them, what do us poor guys have? look at bogus expense claims for Brit MPs, they get away with corruption of a far greater magnitude ,these days it is not about character, most Brit MPs would have resigned if they had any, it is about keeping ones earned money to ones self.

DaveC426913 said:

You really think you're taking some sort of moral high ground here by not buying it?

A few hundred years ago it was the Brit monarchy that encouraged privateers to plunder the seven seas, now it is accountants and politicians that encourage piracy, so why should your basically honest joe be left out of the robbery?

Because we can't get away with it.

Poop-Loops said:
Because we can't get away with it.

The way to get rich is to find a way, difficult for the honest joes, but easy for the corrupt
ministers and corporations.

Cyrus said:
You really think you're taking some sort of moral high ground here by not buying it?
I can only control my own actions. And only hope to set an example for my children.

I pay for the second cable that comes into my house because my character goes for a higher price than 5 bucks a month. I don't burn CDs for the same reason.

It's just a personal choice.

I've had friends who brought from shady people.

Does anyone like "Hogo Boss" aftershave?

Evo said:
If you know you can buy good cheap stuff, go for it. EXCEPT if it was illegal.

So except if you might get caught... go for it.

I bought a cheap couch recently, good condition, quite legal.

It says 'made in china' on it though.

So you just know that the people who made it aren't getting a fair wage... not to mention the lack of freedom in that country... but it was cheap.

JoeDawg said:
It says 'made in china' on it though.

So you just know that the people who made it aren't getting a fair wage... not to mention the lack of freedom in that country... but it was cheap.

Well, now that's going one step further, to active boycotting. A different kettle of worms.

dst said:
I've had friends who brought from shady people.

Does anyone like "Hogo Boss" aftershave?

Lol.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, now that's going one step further, to active boycotting. A different kettle of worms.

LOL. As opposed to inactive boycotting??
Sounds like the difference is distance.

JoeDawg said:
LOL. As opposed to inactive boycotting??
Sounds like the difference is distance.
Yeah, it's a bit redundant.
I meant:
- not buying stuff under particular circumstances is passive
- not buying stuff unilaterally because of a principle is active

What is the product? Is it something that can harm you if it is not really what it seems to be? If it is electrical, is it standards approved? or will it burn your house down, If its a consumable, do you want to chance poisoning your self? If it is a recognised brand name product, do you want to be involved in it's chain of procurement and disposal. If its too good to be true, it probably is.

Just do it. If all that's illegal about it is that it didn't come through customs, is it really breaking the law even? Buying stolen goods is one thing, but the responsibility is on the seller to make sure all taxes have been paid, not you.
(assuming the product isn't illegal in the US)

Its akin to giving your buddy 50 bucks for some old couch, but then feeling bad about not paying the sales tax.

Look at this crazy situation, if you keep all the goods for your self it is legal, but if you sell any it is illegal.

http://www.twinning.org.uk/customs_allowance.htm

It is a weired law that prohibits one from selling ones own property.

And if the customs officers piles are playing up he can get your car crushed.

Last edited:
K.J.Healey said:
Just do it. If all that's illegal about it is that it didn't come through customs, is it really breaking the law even? Buying stolen goods is one thing, but the responsibility is on the seller to make sure all taxes have been paid, not you.
(assuming the product isn't illegal in the US)

Its akin to giving your buddy 50 bucks for some old couch, but then feeling bad about not paying the sales tax.

I know some one who has just saved £100, he does not feel very immoral.

DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, it's a bit redundant.
I meant:
- not buying stuff under particular circumstances is passive
- not buying stuff unilaterally because of a principle is active

Still not seeing the difference.
Both would involve principles.

In both cases, its about simply not buying.
A boycott generally involves promoting the not-buying and getting others to join in.

1. Should I buy iffy gear with unpaid taxes?

As a scientist, I cannot give financial advice. However, I can provide information about the potential risks and consequences of purchasing iffy gear with unpaid taxes.

2. What are the risks of buying iffy gear with unpaid taxes?

There are several risks associated with purchasing iffy gear with unpaid taxes. First, there is a possibility that the gear may be seized by the government to pay off the unpaid taxes. Second, there may be legal consequences for buying goods that have unpaid taxes, such as fines or penalties.

3. Can I negotiate with the seller to pay the unpaid taxes?

It is possible to negotiate with the seller to pay the unpaid taxes, but this is not a guaranteed solution. The seller may not be willing to cooperate, and even if they are, there is no guarantee that the taxes will be paid in full.

4. How can I ensure that the gear I am buying has no unpaid taxes?

The best way to ensure that the gear you are buying has no unpaid taxes is to ask for proof of payment or a tax clearance certificate from the seller. You can also do your own research by checking with the relevant government agencies to see if the taxes have been paid.

5. What are the consequences of buying gear with unpaid taxes?

The consequences of buying gear with unpaid taxes can vary depending on the severity of the situation. In some cases, you may be able to negotiate with the government to pay the taxes and avoid legal consequences. However, if the taxes are not paid, you may face fines, penalties, or even legal action. It is important to thoroughly research and consider the potential consequences before making a purchase.