1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More accurate acceleration

1. Mar 17, 2004 #1
    Hi! I'm quite new here, and I'm not sure wheter this is to go here or in the math section, so I'll just post it here since i guess nobody really care anyway.

I've been thinking of this for a while, but I can't seem to get it right. (I'm not that good at maths but I'm learning.)

Concider dropping a rock from a rather high altitude down to the ground. Now, using Newtonian theory, find an expression for the rocks' velocity as a function of time, that includes the fact that the gravitational attraction must become greater as the distance to Earth shrinks.

Can somebody give me a hint?

I know g=MG/r^2
    What confuses me is how to integrate time in this expression,
    since r=r0-gt^2/2

Finally, I don't know why but i just like these guys:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2004 #2
    You need to set up a differential equation relating the distance from the earth to the acceleration and solve it.

4. Mar 17, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Letting r be the distance from the center of the earth,
    [tex]m\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}= \frac{-GmM}{r^2} [/tex]

That's a non-linear differential equation but we can use the fact that t does not appear explicitely in it: Let v= dr/dt. Then (chain rule):
    [tex]\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}= \frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dv}{dr}= v\frac{dv}{dr}[/tex]
    so the differential equation becomes
    [tex]v\frac{dv}{dr}= \frac{-GM}{r^2}[/tex] and then separate:
    [tex]v dv= -GM \frac{dr}{r^2}[/tex]. Integrating:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= \frac{GM}{r}+ C[/tex].

(Notice that that first integral is the same as
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2- GM/r= C [/tex], conservation of energy, since the first term is kinetic energy and the second potential energy.)

That is the same as [tex]v= \frac{dr}{dt}= \sqrt{2\frac{GM}{r}+ C}[/tex] which is also integrable. You can use the fact that GM/r02= g (r0 is the radius of the earth) to simplify.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?