1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Angular Momentum

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    A thin, uniform rod of length L = 0.850 m and mass M rotates horizontally about an axis through its center, at an angular velocity 18.5 rad/s. A particle with mass M/3.00 is attached to one end. The particle is then ejected from the rod by a small explosion. The explosion sends the particle along a path that is perpendicular to the rod at the instant of the explosion, with a speed that is 6.00 m/s greater than the speed of the end of the rod after the explosion. What is the speed of the ejected particle?

I attempted to find the speed by solving for v in the following equation:
    [(1/12)ml^2]*(w) = (M/3)(v)(l/2)

then i added 6. this gives me 8.62, which is wrong.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong! Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

On what principles did you base your equation on? The conservation of momentum principle states that the momenum of a system cannot change with no external forces acting on it. Hint: an internal explosion is not considered an external force.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?