Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Believe In God Than Heaven: Fox News

1. Oct 15, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99945,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2003 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

An English historian, hearing about the huge percentages of US citizens who say they believe in God, quipped that someone should ask them if they believe in Original Sin.

4. Oct 15, 2003 #3
    I think the atheists of the world just got queasy.

5. Oct 16, 2003 #4
    America is the only fundamentalist first-world country I know of...

6. Oct 16, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fundamentalism is but one element of the spectrum of religions popular in the US. A belief in God includes everything from New Agers chanting over their crystals, to the hell fire and brimstone preachers of the Southern Baptists; to the venomous snake handlers of the south. The majority of Americans are moderate in their beliefs.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  7. Oct 16, 2003 #6
    Eh.... Depends on the area of the United States. The South is not on average "moderate".

8. Oct 16, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think "the south" is too broad. For example, this would not include southern Ca, Florida, or even Texas which has many Catholics due to the Latino population. On a state by state basis I can see this more, but I still think you overstate the issue. Most people that I know are more relaxed in their beliefs than the official doctrine from their respective churches might imply.

9. Oct 16, 2003 #8

megashawn

Science Advisor

Why in the world would you suggest that?

10. Oct 16, 2003 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Um, he said that.

11. Oct 16, 2003 #10

I hope that was sarcasm.

I sure got nauseated.

12. Oct 17, 2003 #11

megashawn

Science Advisor

No, that was not sarcastic. Why would a poll stating most people believe in god make an atheist anymore queasy then driving down the street and counting 15 churches from one end to the other?[?]

13. Oct 18, 2003 #12
    Because you don't have to encounter the hopelessness of the situation quite on the scale every day.

There's always that thought that maybe you just live in the really bad section of town.

14. Oct 18, 2003 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry Beren, most of us believers are pretty friendly towards the fringe...um, I mean the non-believers.

15. Oct 18, 2003 #14
    Ha, I know you are. I'd be rather friendless if you weren't. ;)

You do get that occasional person who just decides to hate you, though. I keep it out of conversation, to say the least.

16. Oct 18, 2003 #15
    Heavean is real, it is just not forever. I have seen it.

17. Oct 18, 2003 #16

FZ+

The only problem being that it rather contravenes the definition of heaven, doesn't it? If you die in the afterlife, where do you go?

18. Oct 19, 2003 #17
    You must come back until the circle is complete. Saw it in a vision not a dream. People from all walks of life up to what seemed to be 500 years back but no further.

19. Oct 20, 2003 #18

megashawn

Science Advisor

Woa, calm down, a lil further explanation on your position is all I needed. You have to admit the comment you made earlier could have went either way. I agree with you on that note.

20. Oct 22, 2003 #19
    I think we need to mention the most fanatical and ravenous group of all the ACLU. Anyone that utters the word 'God' is attacked mercilessly by this bunch of heathens.

21. Oct 22, 2003 #20

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Only for those, ahem, who try to shove their God down some unbeliever's throat. The ACLU would be powerless if enthusiastic Christians didn't act as if God told them to run the public shools as Sunday schools.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?