How to Simplify Boolean Equations with Continuous Bars?

• Thread starter cact
  • Start date
In summary, the first equation has a continuous bar above both letters and the second equation has a bar above both letters. If C=A+B, then \overline{C}C=X. It should be pretty obvious what \overline{C}C is.
cact
I would like to thank everyone for the help on the last Boolean Equation but know I seem to be stuck on simplifing the last two.
any help in simplifing these would be excellent:
Here they are;

1. (A+B)(A+B)= X THE FIRST (A+B) IN THE EQUATION HAS A CONTINIOUS BAR ABOVE BOTH LETTERS

2. (AB)(A+B)= X THE (AB) IN THE EQUATION HAS A CONTINOUS BAR ABOVE BOTH LETTERS

THANKS AGAIN

Physics news on Phys.org
1. So

[tex]\overline{(A + B)}(A + B) = X\mbox{?}[/tex]

If this is the case, this should be really, really, really easy. Have you even tried? For a "hint", let C = A + B, so [itex]\overline{C}C = X[/itex]. It should be pretty obvious what [itex]\overline{C}C[/itex] is. I have to assume you know how to deal with truth tables. You could always just solve these using truth tables, so I really wonder if you've tried anything at all.

2. You really aren't trying. What do you know about Boolean Algebra? Surely you know things like A(B + C) = AB + AC. The basic properties like distributivity should have been taught to you or should be in your book or whatever source you're learning from. If these are the problems you got stuck on, then I'm assuming there are problems you know how to do. If you know how to do any problems, you should know how to do these as they don't really get any more basic. I really suggest you try again before asking for help.

K, I have tried and I'm pretty sure i understand the last one however I feel that it won't hurt to ask. Basic ones I understand however when it comes to the bars above the letter and truth tables I'm still unsure about since our teacher sucks at explaining it. Which is why I'm trying to find a tutor in the area, but in the meantime I'm trying to understand it.
for the third one this is what I got so if you could help it would be great, exspecially for the 2nd question...

3. (AB)(A+B)=X
AbarAB+ABBar=X
(0)B+A(0)=X
AB=X

Does that seem right?

which in that has bars, any?
AB(A+B)
ABA + ABB
AB + AB
AB

yes, the first set of brackets (AB) has a bar above it.

X= (AB)_ * ( A+B )
we know (AB)_ = A_ + B_
X= (A_ + B_ ) ( A+B)
X= AA_ +AB_ +BA_ +BB_
X= 0+AB_ + BA_ + 0
X= AB_ + BA_

the logic table for that is an "exclusive or"
X = A XOR B

There are a couple standard ways to write [itex]\bar{A}[/itex] in ascii: ~A or !A are direct translations, depending on context, and 1+A is an equivalent expression. (When + is XOR)

okay after reading through this textbook again I'm really confused;
would the rules for solving AB(A+B)=X and (AB)(A+B)=X not be the same?

What are Boolean equations?

Boolean equations are mathematical expressions that use logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT to represent relationships between variables. They are used in computer science, engineering, and other fields to solve problems and make logical decisions.

What is the importance of Boolean equations in computer science?

Boolean equations are essential in computer science because they allow for the creation of logical statements that can be used to build complex algorithms and program behavior. They are also used in Boolean logic circuits, which are the basis of modern digital computers.

How are Boolean equations different from regular algebraic equations?

Boolean equations use different operators and have a different set of rules than regular algebraic equations. In a Boolean equation, variables can only have two possible values (true or false) and the operators work on these values to produce a logical outcome.

What are some common applications of Boolean equations?

Boolean equations are used in many applications, including computer programming, digital circuit design, and database querying. They are also used in automated decision-making systems, robotics, and artificial intelligence.

Are Boolean equations limited to binary values?

While Boolean equations are often associated with binary values (0 and 1), they can also be used with other sets of logical values, such as true and false, yes and no, or on and off. This flexibility allows for a wide range of applications in different fields.