Probability of Selecting a Committee of 1 from Each Class

In summary, a committee of size 4 is randomly selected from a group of 3 freshman, 4 sophomores, 4 juniors, and 3 seniors.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

From a group of 3 freshman, 4 sophomores, 4 juniors, and 3 seniors, a committee of size 4 is randomly selected. Find the probability that the committee will consist of:

a) 1 from each class
b) 2 sophomores and 2 juniors
c) only sophomores and juniors

Homework Equations

How do you write "x choose n" in latex? For now I'll write (xCn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured there (14C4) different committees, giving 1001 committees.

a) [(3C1)(4C1)(4C1)(3C1)]/1001 = 144/1001

b) [(4C2)(4C2)]/1001 = 36/1001

c) 2/1001

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get c)? (it's wrong)

Hi ArcanaNoir! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box … alternative nCm in latex is ^nC_m :wink:)

Your (a) and (b) look ok. :smile:

Your (c) is the answer for "only sophomores or only juniors". :redface:

(frankly, I don't know what (c) means … eg is 1 sophomore and 3 juniors sophomores ?)

tiny-tim said:
(frankly, I don't know what (c) means … eg is 1 sophomore and 3 juniors sophomores ?)

I agree. c) is poorly worded. I think the only condition is that no. sophomore >= 1 and no. junior >= 1, otherwise it's the same question as b), or 2 like the OP said.

Funny, I interpreted it as:
only from the group of all juniors and all sophomores.

So: no. sophomores ≥ 0 and no. juniors ≥ 0.

Last edited:
Hi I like Serena! :smile:

I think that's what it's meant to mean, but I don't think it's what it actually means! :biggrin:

Hi TM! :smile:

Errr... so 0 juniors and 4 sophomores, would qualify,
but 1 junior and 3 sophomores would not? :confused:

uhh? :confused:

0 isn't plural :wink:

zero apples isn't apples!

if you have zero apples, you don't have apples :redface:

Okay.

So are you suggesting that c) could be interpreted as:
no. sophomores ≥ 2 and no. juniors ≥ 2?​
Or more strongly, that this is what it actually means?

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
no. sophomores ≥ 2 and no. juniors ≥ 2?​

Or more strongly, that this is what it actually means?

Yup! :biggrin:

Gee guys, if you had just waited.. C was supposed to be only sophomores OR only juniors. My prof's english is bad.

Wait?!
And miss out on all the fun and conjecture?
Nah! :smile:

Anyway, I was kind of impressed to find out that "only sophomores and juniors" translates into "exactly 2 sophomores and 2 juniors".
Who'd have thunk! :wink:

1. What is the probability of selecting a committee of 1 from each class?

The probability of selecting a committee of 1 from each class depends on the total number of classes and the number of members in each class. It can be calculated by dividing the number of possible combinations that result in a committee of 1 from each class by the total number of possible combinations.

2. How do you calculate the total number of possible combinations?

The total number of possible combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items to be chosen. In this case, n represents the total number of classes and r represents the number of committees to be formed, which is 1 for each class.

3. What is the significance of selecting a committee of 1 from each class?

Selecting a committee of 1 from each class ensures that representation from each class is included in the decision-making process. This can help to ensure diverse perspectives and fair representation in decision-making.

4. How does the size of each class affect the probability of selecting a committee of 1 from each class?

The size of each class directly affects the probability of selecting a committee of 1 from each class. As the size of each class increases, the total number of possible combinations also increases, making it less likely to select a committee of 1 from each class.

5. Is there a way to increase the probability of selecting a committee of 1 from each class?

One way to increase the probability of selecting a committee of 1 from each class is to decrease the total number of classes. This reduces the total number of possible combinations and increases the likelihood of selecting a committee of 1 from each class. Another way is to increase the number of committees to be formed, which gives more opportunities for each class to be represented.