Differentiation problems involving trig functions

In summary, the first conversation involves finding the value of \frac{dy}{dx} given x = \cos \theta and y = \cos \theta + \sin \theta, which is 1 - \cot \theta. The second conversation is about differentiating y = \ln(\sec 2x + \tan 2x), which results in 2\sec 2x after simplifying using trigonometric identities and the chain rule.
cscott
1. If [itex]x = \cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]y = \cos \theta + \sin \theta[/itex], [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] is? (Answer: [itex]1 - \cot \theta[/itex])

I'm just not seeing this question... any help appreciated.

2. [itex]y = \ln(\sec 2x + \tan 2x)[/itex] (Answer = [itex]2\sec 2x[/itex])

I get to [tex]\frac{1}{(2\sec x\tan x) + (2\sec^2 x)}[/tex] but it doesn't seem that I'm on the right track compared to the answers I have.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) If [itex]x = \cos \theta[/itex] then [itex]dx = - \sin \theta[/itex], right?
Now compute [itex]dy[/itex] as well and do the division :wink:

2) What do you have to do here? Just compute [itex]dy[/itex] or [itex]dy/dx[/itex] again with the x from 1?

TD said:
1) If [itex]x = \cos \theta[/itex] then [itex]dx = - \sin \theta[/itex], right?
Now compute [itex]dy[/itex] as well and do the division :wink:

2) What do you have to do here? Just compute [itex]dy[/itex] or [itex]dy/dx[/itex] again with the x from 1?

Thanks I got 1 now! As for 2, it's a separate question. I just need to differentiate with respect to x.

For your second one, you need to remember that [tex]\frac{d(\ln{x})}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}*dx[/tex] Just remember to use the chain rule and you should get the right answer.

For the derivative of an ln of a function, you can use the following (follows from the chain rule)

[tex]\left(\ln \left( {f\left( x \right)} \right)\right)^\prime = \frac{{f'\left( x \right)}}
{{f\left( x \right)}}[/tex]

OK, so I should get [tex]\frac{(2 \sec 2x \tan 2x) + (2 \sec^2 2x)}{(\sec 2x + \tan 2x)}[/tex] but I still can't get it to [itex]2 \sec 2x[/tex], my algebra is failing me! :blushing:

Last edited:
For the derivative

[tex]\left( {\sec \left( {2x} \right) + \tan \left( {2x} \right)} \right)^\prime = \frac{{2\sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}} + \frac{2}{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}} = \frac{{2\sin \left( {2x} \right) + 2}}{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}[/tex]

Then it's just putting everything into sines and cosines

[tex]\frac{{\frac{{2\sin \left( {2x} \right) + 2}}{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}}}{{\sec \left( {2x} \right) + \tan \left( {2x} \right)}} = \frac{{\frac{{2\sin \left( {2x} \right) + 2}}{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}}}{{\frac{1}{{\cos \left( {2x} \right)}} + \frac{{\sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{\cos \left( {2x} \right)}}}} = \frac{{\frac{{2\left( {1 + \sin \left( {2x} \right)} \right)}}{{\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)}}}}{{\frac{{1 + \sin \left( {2x} \right)}}{{\cos \left( {2x} \right)}}}} = \frac{2}{{\cos \left( {2x} \right)}} = 2\sec \left( {2x} \right)[/tex]

Wow, I never would have figured it out thinking the way I was. Thank you for being patient with me :smile:

No problem.

Normally I'd have tried to guide you more through it but I hope my previous posts is clear enough and that you actually understand what happened.

Since you try to simpplify, it is easier to lose the tangent and secans and switch all over to sines and cosines. Then it's purely algebra, simplifying the expression.

cscott said:
OK, so I should get [tex]\frac{(2 \sec 2x \tan 2x) + (2 \sec^2 2x)}{(\sec 2x + \tan 2x)}[/tex] but I still can't get it to [itex]2 \sec 2x[/tex], my algebra is failing me! :blushing:
take out [itex]2 \sec 2x[/tex] as a factor from the numerator. The other bits will cancel.

Fermat said:
take out [itex]2 \sec 2x[/tex] as a factor from the numerator. The other bits will cancel.

Ah, I never thought of that either. Thanks.

What are differentiation problems?

Differentiation problems are mathematical problems that involve finding the derivative of a function. The derivative represents the rate of change of the function at a given point, and is an important concept in calculus.

Why are differentiation problems important?

Understanding differentiation allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and solve many real-world problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object, and optimizing processes in fields like economics and engineering.

What are some common techniques for solving differentiation problems?

Some common techniques for solving differentiation problems include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of a wide variety of functions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving differentiation problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving differentiation problems include forgetting to use the chain rule, mixing up the power rule and product rule, and not simplifying the final answer. It is also important to carefully check the domain of the original function to avoid dividing by zero.

How can I improve my skills in solving differentiation problems?

Practice is key when it comes to solving differentiation problems. It is important to understand the concepts behind each rule and to work through a variety of problems to improve your skills. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or using online resources can also be beneficial.