Troubleshooting Differentiation: What Went Wrong with (1 - sin x) / (1 + sin x)?

In summary, y = (1 - sin x) / (1 + sin x) can be differentiated using the quotient rule to get -2 cos x / (1 + sin x)^2.
maccaman
Differentiate y = (1 - sin x) / (1 + sin x)

i know the answer is - 2 cos x / 1 + sin x

Again, i just can't do the working

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is wrong. The denominator should be squared.

You can either use the product and chain rule on the equivalent expression (1 - sin x)(1 + sin x)^-1, or you can use the quotient rule.

The latter is more straightforward, so let's go with that one.

The quotient rule is:

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} \left[ \frac {f(x)}{g(x)} \right] = \frac {g(x)f'(x) - f(x)g'(x)}{g(x)^2}[/tex]

Be careful with that thing, it's dangerous! It's sharp and pointy and you shouldn't run while holding it. And it matters which function is on the top, so make sure you know which is f(x) and which is g(x) before using it.

Applying the quotient rule yields:

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} \frac {1 - \sin x}{1 + \sin x} = \frac {(1 + \sin x)(-\cos x) - (1 - \sin x)(\cos x)}{(1 + \sin x)^2}[/tex]

Factor out -cos x:

[tex]= -\cos x \left[ \frac{1 + \sin x + 1 - \sin x}{(1 + \sin x)^2} \right] [/tex]

Simplify:

[tex]= \frac{-2 \cos x}{(1 + \sin x)^2}[/tex]

god dammit, stupid textbook
yeh thanks for that, i got that answer too, i was wondering where i went wrong as i got (1 + sin x) squared on the bottom too, but the text got 1 + sin x on the bottom, arggh. thanks for that

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is the process by which cells develop into different types of cells with specific functions and characteristics. It is a fundamental process in the growth and development of all organisms.

2. What are the types of differentiation?

The two main types of differentiation are cell-autonomous differentiation, where cells respond to internal cues, and non-cell-autonomous differentiation, where cells respond to external cues from neighboring cells or the environment.

3. What are the factors that can affect differentiation?

There are many factors that can affect differentiation, including genetic factors, environmental factors, and signaling molecules. These factors can influence the timing, direction, and extent of differentiation.

4. What are some common problems that can occur during differentiation?

Some common problems that can occur during differentiation include improper timing, incomplete differentiation, and abnormal differentiation, which can lead to developmental disorders and diseases.

5. How can we study differentiation?

Differentiation can be studied through various methods, including genetic analysis, cell culture techniques, and imaging techniques. These methods allow scientists to observe and manipulate the process of differentiation in different organisms and cell types.