More Electric Energy questions

In summary, the first conversation discusses how to find the electric potential midway between two charges using the formula F=k(q1)(q2)/r^2. It is mentioned that this only gives the force between the two charges, and not the electric potential or electric potential energy midway between them. The second conversation discusses finding the work required to bring a fourth charge to an empty corner of a square where three charges are located. The formula for electric potential V=kq/r is mentioned, as well as the concept of potential as a form of energy. It is suggested to find the potential for each charge and add them together to get the total potential. The concept of work done on a charge is also discussed.
thursdaytbs
(1)Two charges of +2.60 x 10^-8 and -5.50 x 10^-8 C are separated by 1.40 m. What is the electric potential midway between them?

The way to solve this, i tried is by saying F = k(q1)(q2) / r^2. So, the force between the two charges is (9x10^9)(2.6x10^-8)(5.5x10^-8) / (1.4^2). Although, from there I'm not sure where to go because that just solves for the force inbetween the two charges and not the EPE or even more specifically the EPE midway between them.

(2) Three charges are located at teh corners of a square whose sides are 2.0m in length. The charges are +2.0, +14, and +5.0 microCouloumbs. The empty corner of the square is opposite the +14 micro coloumb charge. How much work is required to bring up a fourth charge of +8microColoumbs and place it at the empty corner?

I started by saying that Electric Force = k(q1)(q2) / r^2,
Then I figured I would apply that to all 3 charges with the +8charge as q2. Next I would add up all the three forces together to find the total amount of force needed. Except, there's where I get stuck, since that single equation can't be applied to all 3 charges seperately since - don't they all effect one charge?

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
the formulas of eletric potential is V=kq/r, and potential is a form of energy, if you have two sourse of potential, just find the individual V and add them up...
work done is [tex]qV_{total}[/tex]... find the potential for each charge and add them all up to get [tex]V_{total}[/tex]
I think you have already fall behind your class , in this chapter, you are doing potential of point charge, the force fomulas k(q1)(q2) / r^2 is outdated... do some reading b4 posting next time

"The way to solve this, i tried is by saying F = k(q1)(q2) / r^2. So, the force between the two charges is (9x10^9)(2.6x10^-8)(5.5x10^-8) / (1.4^2)."
This is the force each exerts on the other. The problem asked for the electric potential half way between them. Imagine a "test" charge q at distance 0.7 m from each charge. What is the force on that test charge due to each (be careful about the directions). What is the total force on that test charge? The potential is that total force divided by the charge q.

HallsofIvy said:
The potential is that total force divided by the charge q.

That is the electric field, not potential...

vincentchan said:
work done is [tex]qV_{total}[/tex]... find the potential for each charge and add them all up to get [tex]V_{total}[/tex]

I thought W = q(Vb - Va)? Or is that only valid when it's one charge moving from one place to another, and W = qVtotal, when there's more than one charge?

And yeah, I think I've fallen behind because I can fully grasp the idea of F=k(q1)(q2) / r^2, and E = F/q, but I don't fully understand the work done to a charge, or the Electric Potential Energy. :frown:

yes, you are right, However, if the charge is came from infinitely far away, Va = kq/r, Va goes to zero as r goes to infinite, W=qV works perfectly fine in your problem (2), hope this answer your question

1. What is "more electric energy"?

More electric energy refers to the increasing use of electricity in various industries, transportation, and households as a replacement for traditional fossil fuels. This shift is driven by the need to reduce carbon emissions and the advancements in renewable energy technologies.

2. What are the benefits of using more electric energy?

Some of the benefits of using more electric energy include reduced carbon emissions, increased energy efficiency, and cost savings in the long run. Electric energy is also more versatile and can be generated from a variety of renewable sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power.

3. What challenges are associated with the transition to more electric energy?

The transition to more electric energy faces challenges such as the high initial cost of implementing renewable energy technologies, the need for infrastructure upgrades, and the need for energy storage solutions to ensure a stable and reliable energy supply. There may also be resistance from industries and individuals who are heavily reliant on fossil fuels.

4. How does the use of more electric energy affect the environment?

The use of more electric energy can have a positive impact on the environment by reducing carbon emissions and decreasing dependence on non-renewable resources. However, the production of electricity can also have negative effects, such as the generation of waste and water pollution. It is essential to carefully consider the environmental impacts of different electricity generation methods.

5. What is the future of more electric energy?

The future of more electric energy is promising, as advancements in technology continue to make renewable energy more accessible and cost-effective. It is expected that the use of electric energy will continue to grow, with a focus on developing sustainable and efficient energy systems. Government policies and initiatives also play a crucial role in promoting the use of more electric energy in various sectors.