What is the distance from Q1 for a zero electric field at point P?

In summary: It looks like there are some equations being discussed here to solve for the position of point P in relation to the two point charges, Q1 and Q2. The equations mentioned are E=F/q and E=kQ/r^2. It is important to determine where point P is located in relation to the two charges before solving for its position. To solve for the position, the equations for the electric field from each charge at point P should be set equal to each other and solved for the distance variable, x. Care should also be taken with units when using these equations.
jena
Hi,

My question:

Two point charges, Q1=- microcolumbs and Q2= microcolumbs are separated by a distance of 12cm. The electric field at the point P is zero. How far from Q1 is P?

I know that E=F/q, but I'm not sure if I equal this to zero. To figure out this problem, do I first devise a portion to help me find the answer? Not sure

Thank You :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
jena said:
Hi,

My question:

Two point charges, Q1=- microcolumbs and Q2= microcolumbs
Aren't there supposed to be numbers in here?

are separated by a distance of 12cm. The electric field at the point P is zero. How far from Q1 is P?

I know that E=F/q, but I'm not sure if I equal this to zero. To figure out this problem, do I first devise a portion to help me find the answer? Not sure

Thank You :smile:

Yep sorry

Two point charges, Q1=-25 microcolumbs and Q2= 50 microcolumbs are separated by a distance of 12cm. The electric field at the point P is zero. How far from Q1 is P?

Thank You

The first thing for you to figure out is where is point P. Is it between the two charges? Or on the far side of one of them? (Which one?) This will help you visualize what's going on.

To solve for the position of point P, try this: Call the distance between point P and Q1 by the variable "x". Now write the equations for the field from each charge at point P. The fields must be equal and opposite to cancel, so set the magnitudes of the fields from each charge equal to each other. Solve for x.

jena, they're asking questions about the E-field because
they want you to get used to using it in its own right,
not just a "math trick" computed from Force per charge.

an E-field surrounds any source charge Q, as E=kQ/r^2 ,
even when there's no other charge *at* the distant place.
(like gravity field "g" exists even where it's not pulling on a rock)

Once you find the E-field at some place, caused by source charges Q,
then you get the Force on another charge there by F = qE . (like mg)

Hi,

I think I figured it out I have to make a equation like

Kq/r^2 + kq/(r+12)^2= E

This will allow me to solve the problem.

Thank You

jena said:
I think I figured it out I have to make a equation like

Kq/r^2 + kq/(r+12)^2= E
Good! Be careful with units.
[itex]E_{total} = k q_1/ r^2 + k q_2/(r + 0.12)^2[/itex]

1. What is an electrical charge?

An electrical charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the attraction or repulsion between particles. It is caused by an imbalance of protons and electrons within an atom.

2. How is an electrical charge created?

An electrical charge is created by adding or removing electrons from an atom. This can be done through various processes such as friction, contact, or induction.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrical charge?

The unit of measurement for electrical charge is the coulomb (C). It is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a conductor in one second when a current of one ampere is flowing.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are caused by an excess of protons, while negative charges are caused by an excess of electrons. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other.

5. How do electrical charges interact with each other?

Electrical charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. This force can be attractive or repulsive, and its strength is determined by the distance between the charges and their magnitudes.