Epsilon-Delta Limits: Finding the Optimal Delta for a Given Epsilon Value

In summary, given that the limit of (sin x)/x as x --> 0 and that ε = .01,find the greatest c such that δ between zero and c is good. The approximation to three decimal places is .245.
ƒ(x)
Given: limit of (sin x)/x as x --> 0 and that ε = .01
Problem: Find the greatest c such that δ between zero and c is good. Give an approximation to three decimal places.

Equations:

0 < |x - a| < δ
0 < |f(x) - L| < εAttempt:

0 < |x - 0| < δ
0 < | sin(x)/x - 1| < ε

0 < | sin(x)/x - 1| < .01
0 < | sin(x)/x| < 1.01
0 < |sin(x)| < 1.01|x|
0 < |sin(x)| < 1.01δ
0 < |sin(x)|/1.01 < δ
Since sin(x) is going to range between -1 and 1, the greatest value for δ is 1/1.01. But, this answer isn't correct. The correct answer is .245, and I don't know how to get that.

Physics news on Phys.org
ƒ(x) said:
Given: limit of (sin x)/x as x --> 0 and that ε = .01
Problem: Find the greatest c such that δ between zero and c is good. Give an approximation to three decimal places.

What do you mean by "δ between zero and c is good"?

My guess is that you mean:

"Find the greatest [itex]c[/itex] such that

[tex]\left|\frac{\sin x}{x} - 1 \right| < \epsilon[/tex]

whenever

[tex]0 < |x - 0| < \delta \leq c[/tex]."

Is that right?

[It seems clearer to dispense with [itex]c[/itex] and simply ask "how big can [itex]\delta[/itex] be?"]

Your problem is the following step:

Equations:

0 < | sin(x)/x - 1| < .01
0 < | sin(x)/x| < 1.01

While the upper bound in the second line is true, it doesn't buy you anything. In fact, it's true no matter what [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is, because [tex]|\sin(x)/x|[/tex] never exceeds 1.

Also, the lower bounds are wrong: both [tex]|\sin(x)/x - 1|[/tex] and [tex]|\sin(x)/x|[/tex] do equal 0 for some values of [itex]x[/itex]. We don't want/need to disallow that possibility.

Try writing

[tex]\left|\frac{\sin x}{x} - 1\right| < 0.01[/tex]

in the following equivalent way

[tex]-0.01 < \frac{\sin x}{x} - 1 < 0.01[/tex]

and thus

[tex]0.99 < \frac{\sin x}{x} < 1.01[/tex]

The right-hand inequality is true for all [itex]x[/itex], so we only need to consider the left inequality:

[tex]0.99 < \frac{\sin x}{x}[/tex]

Now you need to find what range of [itex]x[/itex] satisfies this inequality. I assume you are permitted to do so numerically (using a computer or calculator)?

Yes, that works. Thank you.

Oops, for the record, I just noticed that I lied when I said that [tex]|\sin(x)/x - 1|[/tex] can equal 0. It can't. But my point that you don't need the [tex]0 < |\sin(x)/x - 1|[/tex] part of the inequality is still correct.

Ok. :)

What is the definition of a limit using the epsilon-delta method?

The epsilon-delta method is a rigorous mathematical approach to defining the limit of a function at a specific point. It states that for any given positive value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive value of delta such that if the distance between the input of the function and the point in question is less than delta, then the output of the function will be within epsilon of the limit.

How is the epsilon-delta method used to prove a limit?

The epsilon-delta method is used by first setting the value of epsilon, and then finding a corresponding value of delta that satisfies the definition of the limit. This is often done algebraically by manipulating the function and the inequalities involved. Once a suitable delta has been found, it is then used to show that the distance between the input and the point in question is less than delta, and therefore the output of the function is within epsilon of the limit.

What are the benefits of using the epsilon-delta method?

The epsilon-delta method is a rigorous approach to defining limits that allows for precise proofs and is applicable to a wide range of functions. It also provides a clear understanding of the behavior of a function at a specific point and can help determine if a function is continuous at that point. Additionally, it can be used to prove many important theorems in calculus.

Are there any limitations to using the epsilon-delta method?

While the epsilon-delta method is a powerful tool in calculus, it can be quite challenging to use for more complex functions. It also requires a strong understanding of algebra and inequalities to successfully apply it. Additionally, the method can be time-consuming and may not always work for every function and limit.

In what situations is the epsilon-delta method commonly used?

The epsilon-delta method is commonly used in calculus and analysis to define and prove limits of functions. It is also used to prove many important theorems, such as the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Extreme Value Theorem. Additionally, it is frequently used in the study of continuity and differentiability of functions.