1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Force Review!

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    Two crates, of mass m1 = 40 kg and m2 = 125 kg, are in contact and at rest on a horizontal surface (Fig. 4-54). A 620 N force is exerted on the 40 kg crate. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.15.
    [​IMG]

Find the acceleration:

Calculate the force that each crate exerts on the other:

I am counting my forces incorrectly.

I had
    [tex]\sum F_x=ma[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow -F_k+F_a=ma[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow-mg*\mu_k+F_a=ma[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\frac{ -(125+40)(.15)+620}{125+40}=a=3.61[/tex]

I think block 2 exerts a Force on block 1...but I am not sure how to determine its magnitude...would someone be so kind as to remind me?

Also, for Normal Force, I used the COMBINED weight...is that correct?

Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All fine so far. The force block 2 exerts on block 1 is equal and opposite to the force block 1 exerts on block 2. To find the force on block 2, you know the acceleration of block 2 and the mass of block 2. This should let you find force on block 2.

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    I think you just made a little mistake. When you're calculating the friction force, you have the formula correct, but I think you forgot the 'g' i.e. 9.8 in the calculation.

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Duh, right. I saw it in the formula. But I didn't notice it was absent in the numbers. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?