1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Frequency Problems

1. Apr 10, 2004 #1
    Well, I've encountered a couple more problems...
    Here they are:
    Two identical violin strings, when in tune and stretched with the same tension, have a fundamental frequency of 196 Hz. One of the strings is retuned by adjusting its tension. When this is done, 1.5 beats per second are heard when both strings are plucked simultaneously. I found the lower and upper limits on the possible fundamental frequencies of the re-tuned strings to be 194.5 and 197.5 Hz, respectively. I'm struggling with this:
    By what fractional amount was the string tension changed if it was increased?
    By what fractional amount was the string tension changed if it was decreased?
    (delta T)/T

Could someone help me with this? Thanks!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2004 #2
    Frequency depends on the square root of the tension. Since you have the frequencies and the original tension, I think that's enough to solve it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?