Calculating Car Speed Based on Skid Mark Distance and Friction Coefficient

• Thread starter FLANKER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the police officer investigating the accident determined that the distance between the point where the driver slammed on the brakes and where the car came to a stop was 25.2 m. Using the coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.330, the officer was able to calculate the force experienced by the vehicle and use Newton's second law to determine the acceleration. By plugging in the acceleration to the equation v(t) = v0 + a t, the officer was able to calculate the time it took for the car to stop. Lastly, by plugging the time into the equation s(t) = v0 t + 1/2 a t2, the officer was able to solve for the initial velocity v0 of the
FLANKER
A police man investigating an accident measures the skid marks left by a car. He determines that the distance between the point that the driver slammed on the brakes and the point where the car came to a stop was 25.2 m. from a reference manual, he determines that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road under the prevailing conditions was 0.330. How fast was the car going when the driver applied the brakes? (This car was not equipped with anti-lock brakes)

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of kinetic friction allows you to find the force experienced by the vehicle (you must assume it is independent of velocity).

Once you know the force, you can use Newton's second law to determine the acceleration -- it is constant.

Since the acceleration is constant, you can use the equation:

v(t) = v0 + a t

to calculate the time it took the car to stop (a is negative, of course), and the equation

s(t) = v0 t + 1/2 a t2

to solve for v0.

If these equations are new to you, let me know and I'll guide you through their derivation.

- Warren

Last edited:
?

but all i have to start with is the 0,.330..how do i get the force from that?

FLANKER,

There's a simple equation relating two quantities: the friction force, and the normal force. The coefficient of (static or kinetic) friction is simply the proportionality constant between them. The equation is this one:

F = [mu]k (or s) N
= [mu]k (or s) m g

Can you calculate F now?

- Warren

FLANKER,

Sorry, I should be more specific. You don't need to actually compute a NUMBER for the force. You can leave it in symbolic form, like this:

F = [mu]k m g
F = 0.33 m g

And just use it like that.

The next step is to calculate the acceleration experienced by the vehicle, which is given by Newton's second law:

F = m a

Plugging in your value for F yields this:

0.33 m g = m a

The m's cancel:

0.33 g = a

And you have the acceleration.

With me so far?

- Warren

?

yes, i understand that part..and then?

FLANKER,

Now that you have the acceleration, you can plug it into this equation:

v(t) = v0 + a t

to find the time taken for the car to stop.

In other words,

0 = v0 - 0.33 g t

t = v0 / (0.33 g)

Now you can plug t into the equation

s(t) = v0 t + 1/2 a t2

And solve for v0.

- Warren

What is the formula for calculating car speed based on skid mark distance and friction coefficient?

The formula for calculating car speed based on skid mark distance and friction coefficient is: Speed = √(μ x g x d), where μ is the friction coefficient, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and d is the skid mark distance.

How do I determine the friction coefficient for a specific road surface?

The friction coefficient for a specific road surface can be determined by conducting friction tests, which involve measuring the force required to move a known object across the road surface at a constant speed. The friction coefficient can also be found in engineering tables or by consulting with road engineers.

Can I use the same friction coefficient for all types of vehicles?

No, the friction coefficient may vary depending on the weight, speed, and type of vehicle. Heavier vehicles tend to have a higher friction coefficient, while lighter vehicles may have a lower coefficient. Additionally, different types of tires and braking systems can also affect the friction coefficient.

What is the significance of calculating car speed based on skid mark distance and friction coefficient?

Calculating car speed based on skid mark distance and friction coefficient is important for accident reconstruction and determining the cause of a car accident. It can also be useful for determining the appropriate speed limits for different road surfaces and conditions.

Are there any limitations to using this method for calculating car speed?

Yes, there are several limitations to this method. It assumes that the car was skidding in a straight line and that the friction coefficient remains constant throughout the skid. Additionally, other factors such as weather conditions, vehicle conditions, and driver behavior can also affect the accuracy of the calculated speed.