1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More fun with e-fields

1. Nov 9, 2003 #1
    First off I would like to say that, even though this may seam like I'm just asking the question I’m supposed to answer, and hoping for freebees. That is not the case. I have a tendency of making problems that are sum what easy way harder than they have to be, and after having dun a group of problems, my professor wanted me to redo them the "right way" or at least as far as I could tell an easer method that I didn’t think of. Now without any of his help on how, and without him giving me back the previous assignment(aka the answers and work that I turned in) I have to do it again, and low and behold I do them the same way. So I’m going to put down the problem verbatim and hope that some kind harts will give me some good methods of solving them. Or at least this one for now.

A particle(q=40nC, m=5g) moves in a region of space where the electric field is uniform and is given by Ex=-5.5N/C, Ey=Ez=0. If the position of and velocity of the particle at t=0 are given by x=y=0 and vx= 50m/s, vy=vz=0, what is the distance from the origin to the particle at t=2.0s.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi again zath,

Be a sport and give us your thoughts on how you'd solve this problem. You don't have to list all the equations and the steps involved -- that's not necessary. What we need to see is an abstract view of your thought process, something like this:

Well, first, I need to calculate the force on the particle. I know how to do this by the definition of an electric field -- a particle of charge q in a field of magnitude E experiences a force of magnitude qE.

Second, I need to...

Can you show us your line of reasoning in this way?

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?