How do I calculate the distance of a particle in an electric field at t=2.0s?

• Thread starter zath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a physics problem involving a particle moving in a uniform electric field. They explain that they tend to overcomplicate problems and their professor has asked them to redo the problem using an easier method. They provide the initial conditions and ask for assistance in solving the problem.
zath
First off I would like to say that, even though this may seam like I'm just asking the question I’m supposed to answer, and hoping for freebees. That is not the case. I have a tendency of making problems that are sum what easy way harder than they have to be, and after having dun a group of problems, my professor wanted me to redo them the "right way" or at least as far as I could tell an easer method that I didn’t think of. Now without any of his help on how, and without him giving me back the previous assignment(aka the answers and work that I turned in) I have to do it again, and low and behold I do them the same way. So I’m going to put down the problem verbatim and hope that some kind harts will give me some good methods of solving them. Or at least this one for now.

A particle(q=40nC, m=5g) moves in a region of space where the electric field is uniform and is given by Ex=-5.5N/C, Ey=Ez=0. If the position of and velocity of the particle at t=0 are given by x=y=0 and vx= 50m/s, vy=vz=0, what is the distance from the origin to the particle at t=2.0s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again zath,

Be a sport and give us your thoughts on how you'd solve this problem. You don't have to list all the equations and the steps involved -- that's not necessary. What we need to see is an abstract view of your thought process, something like this:

Well, first, I need to calculate the force on the particle. I know how to do this by the definition of an electric field -- a particle of charge q in a field of magnitude E experiences a force of magnitude qE.

Second, I need to...

Can you show us your line of reasoning in this way?

- Warren

To calculate the distance of the particle at t=2.0s, we can use the equations of motion for a particle in an electric field. First, we need to find the acceleration of the particle in the x-direction, which is given by the equation F=ma, where F is the force due to the electric field and m is the mass of the particle. In this case, the force is given by qE, where q is the charge of the particle and E is the electric field. Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:

F = (40nC)(-5.5N/C) = -220nN

Next, we can use the equation for acceleration to find the distance traveled by the particle in the x-direction at t=2.0s:

x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2

where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:

x = 0 + (50m/s)(2.0s) + (1/2)(-220nN)(2.0s)^2 = 100m - 0.88mm = 99.12m

Therefore, the distance of the particle from the origin at t=2.0s is approximately 99.12m. We can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total distance from the origin, which is given by:

d = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

Since the electric field is only in the x-direction, the particle will only move in the x-direction and the total distance will be equal to the distance in the x-direction. Therefore, the total distance at t=2.0s is also approximately 99.12m.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle will experience a force. It is represented by lines that show the direction of the force at different points in space.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by any object that has a net electric charge. This charge can be either positive or negative, and it will create an electric field that extends outwards from the object.

3. What is the relationship between electric fields and electric charges?

The strength and direction of an electric field is determined by the amount and distribution of electric charges. The force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the electric charge.

4. How can we measure electric fields?

Electric fields can be measured using a device called an electric field sensor. This sensor detects the strength and direction of an electric field and displays it on a scale or graph.

5. What are some practical applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including in electronics, medical devices, and power generation. They are also used in experiments and research to study the behavior of charged particles and to understand the nature of electricity.