1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More fun with vectors

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    A particle moves in the xy plane with constant acceleration. At time zero, the particle is at x = 2m, y = 1.5m, and has velocity Vo =(3.3m/s)i + (-7m/s)j. The accelerationis given by a = (6m/s^2) i + (5.5 m/s^2)j. What is the x component of velocity afer 1.5s?

im stuck

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2
    A constant acceleration "a" implies the velocity is "a*t" where t is the time elapsed from 0.

4. Feb 13, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put it as it should be,in vector form
    [tex] \Delta\vec{v}=\vec{a} \Delta t[/tex]

Now project on the Ox axis and make a simple multiplication.

Daniel.

5. Feb 13, 2005 #4
    First off, do you understand the problem? Can you draw it? do you know what it means that a = (6m/s^2) i + (5.5 m/s^2)j. What have you tried to do so far?

6. Feb 13, 2005 #5

what is the Ox axis?

7. Feb 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean?You're given that the motion takes place in the xy plane,so it's not difficult to imagine the 2 mutually perpendicular Ox & Oy axis...?

Daniel.

8. Feb 13, 2005 #7
    i mean what is O

9. Feb 13, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

O is the origin of the coordinate system,or if you want to,the point in which the 2 mutually perpendicular axis meet...

However,this is a useless detail for this problem...

Daniel.

10. Feb 13, 2005 #9
    so when i get (Delta V)i subtract the initial velocity of the x component (3.5 m/s) from it and that will be the x component of velocity after 1.5 seconds.

11. Feb 13, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've given you the equation already in post #3.I've explained what i meant about "Ox projection" and now i'm asking you to interpret the scalar equality
    [tex] \Delta v_{x}=a_{x} \Delta t [/itex]

in a correct manner.

Daniel.

12. Feb 13, 2005 #11
    ok i think i got it now. it would just be the acceleration of the i componet multiplied by the change in time (1.5s). thanx

13. Feb 13, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That will be "Delta v",to compute the final velocity (component "x") u'll have to add the initial value...

Daniel.

14. Feb 13, 2005 #13
    curious...i did like you said, but im still not getting the correct answer. are u sure that is the correct formulae??

15. Feb 13, 2005 #14
    okay thats where I went wrong, i dont know why i was subtracting. u were right i am supposed to add them to find the total final velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?