Finding Final Velocity with Constant Acceleration

In summary, the particle moves with constant acceleration in the xy plane. At time zero, it is at x = 2m, y = 1.5m, and has a velocity Vo = (3.3m/s)i + (-7m/s)j. The acceleration is given by a = (6m/s^2) i + (5.5 m/s^2)j.
the_d
A particle moves in the xy plane with constant acceleration. At time zero, the particle is at x = 2m, y = 1.5m, and has velocity Vo =(3.3m/s)i + (-7m/s)j. The accelerationis given by a = (6m/s^2) i + (5.5 m/s^2)j. What is the x component of velocity afer 1.5s?

im stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
A constant acceleration "a" implies the velocity is "a*t" where t is the time elapsed from 0.

Put it as it should be,in vector form
[tex] \Delta\vec{v}=\vec{a} \Delta t[/tex]

Now project on the Ox axis and make a simple multiplication.

Daniel.

First off, do you understand the problem? Can you draw it? do you know what it means that a = (6m/s^2) i + (5.5 m/s^2)j. What have you tried to do so far?

dextercioby said:
Put it as it should be,in vector form
[tex] \Delta\vec{v}=\vec{a} \Delta t[/tex]

Now project on the Ox axis and make a simple multiplication.

Daniel.

what is the Ox axis?

What do you mean?You're given that the motion takes place in the xy plane,so it's not difficult to imagine the 2 mutually perpendicular Ox & Oy axis...?

Daniel.

i mean what is O

O is the origin of the coordinate system,or if you want to,the point in which the 2 mutually perpendicular axis meet...

However,this is a useless detail for this problem...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
O is the origin of the coordinate system,or if you want to,the point in which the 2 mutually perpendicular axis meet...

However,this is a useless detail for this problem...

Daniel.

so when i get (Delta V)i subtract the initial velocity of the x component (3.5 m/s) from it and that will be the x component of velocity after 1.5 seconds.

I've given you the equation already in post #3.I've explained what i meant about "Ox projection" and now I'm asking you to interpret the scalar equality
[tex] \Delta v_{x}=a_{x} \Delta t [/itex]

in a correct manner.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I've given you the equation already in post #3.I've explained what i meant about "Ox projection" and now I'm asking you to interpret the scalar equality
[tex] \Delta v_{x}=a_{x} \Delta t [/itex]

in a correct manner.

Daniel.

ok i think i got it now. it would just be the acceleration of the i componet multiplied by the change in time (1.5s). thanx

That will be "Delta v",to compute the final velocity (component "x") u'll have to add the initial value...

Daniel.

curious...i did like you said, but I am still not getting the correct answer. are u sure that is the correct formulae??

dextercioby said:
That will be "Delta v",to compute the final velocity (component "x") u'll have to add the initial value...

Daniel.

okay that's where I went wrong, i don't know why i was subtracting. u were right i am supposed to add them to find the total final velocity

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (length) and direction. They are often represented as arrows in diagrams.

2. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in many different scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and electric fields.

3. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted by using the rules of vector addition and subtraction. This involves combining the magnitudes and directions of the vectors to find the resulting vector.

4. What is the importance of vector operations?

Vector operations are important because they allow us to analyze and manipulate complex physical phenomena. They also help us solve problems and make predictions in various scientific fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of vectors?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of vectors. For example, vectors are used in navigation systems, projectile motion, and designing structures in engineering. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.