Have you ever experienced a geek wound on the job?

In summary: No.- In summary, WarrenEvo was working on a project in an open attic when he got injured. He stopped on the way for some supplies and drove back with his coworker. His coworker clumsily cut his hair and then WarrenEvo did it himself. He also used liquid bandages and redid all of the bandages. He's going to need a hat for the next week.
russ_watters
Mentor
Yeah, engineering can be dangerous if you are an idiot. Today, I was in an attic - one that I had just commented on how open it was - when I ducked under one duct and came back up into the corner of a flanged joint between two sections of the next duct. It didn't hurt much, so I was thinking I was ok, but then I felt the cut and came back with fingers covered in blood. In seconds, it was running down my face. I was looking for something to stop the bleeding, but I liked my shirt and couldn't figure out how to get it off to get to my t-shirt, so I just leaned forward and cupped my right hand under my face to catch the dripping. I yelled for my assistant and he came with me (I climbed down a short ladder with one hand on the ladder and the other holding a teaspoon-full of blood). Fortunately, we were in a partially occupied, but fully-staffed nursing home, so while I went to the bathroom to get some paper-towels and clean some of the blood off my face and hands, my assistant found the nearest nursing station. They said the cut was borderline on whether or not it would need stitches, cleaned it up, shaved some of the hair around it, and sent me on my way.

My boss's wife is a nurse as well and we work out of his house, so I stopped on the way (I was driving - for a gusher, it actually stopped bleeding relatively fast, though it was still oozing a little) for some biga$$ bandaids and drove back to the home/office. One of my coworkers trimmed my hair with a clippers and tried to clip it close to the cut - but hooked it and pulled it back open. After it dried a little, my boss's wife cleaned it, put some butterfly bandages on it, and slapped a bigass band-aid over top of it.

Since my coworker did such a crappy job cutting my hair, the bandages were all coming off, so I bought myself a barber-style clipper and redid it all myself. I also used some liquid bandage (really just superglue) and redid all of the bandages.

I guess I'll be wearing a hat everywhere I go for the next week...

Moral of the story: dumb engineers should wear hardhats, but they don't because they are dumb.

Pics attached.

Attachments

• wound1.jpg
    wound1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 423
  • wound2.jpg
    wound2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 429
  • wound3.jpg
    wound3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh geeze. :bugeye: :eek: I hope it will be ok. I'll bet it will hurt tomorrow.

I'm just glad your shoulders are hairier than mine. :rofl:

That sucks man, particularly the part where your friend caught it in the clipper and ripped it back open. I got a bit squeamish on that bit.

Hope you heal up quick, man. Maybe someone makes some "stylish" hard hats?

- Warren

Evo, isn't this the sort of thing that normally happens to you?

- Warren

My, what a fun day you had! Hope it heals well for you, luckly duct work gives it a nice clean cut.

Maybe you could use some duct tape on it, to complete the irony?

- Warren

chroot said:
Evo, isn't this the sort of thing that normally happens to you?

- Warren
Yep, except I'd never shave my head.

Evo said:
Yep, except I'd never shave my head.

Is it true that chicks dig scars?

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren

Dang it I was just about to...
:grumpy:

chroot said:
Is it true that chicks dig scars?

- Warren
No.

Can we get rid of this minimum character limit? :grumpy:

Then you'd just have people posting smilies which is really annoying
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hootenanny said:
Then you'd just have people posting smilies which is really annoying
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
:grumpy: ...

Evo said:
No.

:frown: I bet Russ looks pretty bad-ass now with his shaved head, though.

- Warren

Evo said:
:grumpy:

Cheer up, dear. You're just upset that someone else got injured this time, aren't ya?

- Warren

chroot said:
Cheer up, dear. You're just upset that someone else got injured this time, aren't ya?

- Warren
I'm overdue for a major injury. I fixed my excersize bike last week and everyone was certain I would hurt myself once I got on it.

chroot said:

- Warren
He needs to milk this injury and get the girls fussing over him. :tongue:

Evo said:
He needs to milk this injury and get the girls fussing over him. :tongue:

Yes, exactly! They'll all be competing to dress the good Sir's wound.

How can you hurt yourself on a stationary bike?! Unlike real bike riding, there are no SUVs driven by teenagers on cellphones, no Buicks piloted by old blue-hairs, nothing...

- Warren

chroot said:
there are no SUVs driven by teenagers on cellphones, no Buicks piloted by old blue-hairs
Says who? Either one is equally likely to end up in her exercise room.

chroot said:
How can you hurt yourself on a stationary bike?! Unlike real bike riding, there are no SUVs driven by teenagers on cellphones, no Buicks piloted by old blue-hairs, nothing...

- Warren
You forget who you're talking to. I almost killed myself standing in front of a fence. I lost my balance and fell into it and impaled my wrist. A "stationary" bike has moving parts.

Be careful, Evo. Your computer uses electricity. I'm sure if anyone could find a way to kill themselves with +5V, it'd be you. :redface:

- Warren

chroot said:
Be careful, Evo. Your computer uses electricity. I'm sure if anyone could find a way to kill themselves with +5V, it'd be you. :redface:

- Warren
Since my house has been hit by lightning three times, with varying degrees of damage, and I got zapped pretty hard one of those times when I was on the phone, I wouldn't doubt it. :frown:

So long as you keep the training wheels on you'll be fine Evo.

chroot said:
I'm sure if anyone could find a way to kill themselves with +5V, it'd be you.
I think that she's immune to electricity. After all, the 220 3-phase that her vibrator runs on hasn't done any noticeable damage.

<I'll just be running away now...>

Ouch!
russ_watters said:
Moral of the story: dumb engineers should wear hardhats, but they don't because they are dumb.
Yep, especially around duct work. Hard hats have saved me lots of time.

But did manage something like that in my kitchen a couple of years ago. My wife opened a cabinet door right above me. Then I promptly stood up and caught the corner of the door - lights out momentarily and stars - and a nice bloody gash. I just put ice on it and let it dry.

Awww...I guess Russ saw Pengwuino getting all that sympathy for a burned finger and thought he had to outdo him. :biggrin:

*kisses Russ' boo boo*

Geez, they did a butcher job on your hair, didn't they? And that's going to leave quite a scar. And probably REALLY hurt by tomorrow (if it isn't already throbbing tonight).

You may have to suck it up and look goofy wearing a shower cap for a few days so you don't knock the scab off every time you shower.

chroot said:

- Warren
It's just a preview of what his hairline will look like in a few years anyway. :biggrin:

*runs away before Russ gives me a matching head wound*

chroot said:

- Warren
You know I'm all about completing irony(especially when slightly drunk...), so here you go...

Attachments

• wound4.jpg
    wound4.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 378
russ_watters said:
You know I'm all about completing irony(especially when slightly drunk...), so here you go...
:rofl: A bit of liquid painkiller, huh? Oh, I really hope you got the duct tape confined to only the shaved parts of your head, or you're really going to regret doing that when you sober up! :bugeye:

Evo said:
No.
Liar.

The chicks I hung out with tonight were very comforting...

Moonbear said:
:rofl: A bit of liquid painkiller, huh? Oh, I really hope you got the duct tape confined to only the shaved parts of your head, or you're really going to regret doing that when you sober up! :bugeye:
It was only on there for about 30 seconds - just long enough to take the picture.

russ_watters said:
Liar.

The chicks I hung out with tonight were very comforting...
Scars are very sexy, as long as they aren't ugly. :biggrin: Though, I'm not sure about scars from geek wounds. You're supposed to have some story of daring and danger to go with them, and I don't think being attacked by a duct quite works. :rofl:

Astronuc said:
Ouch!
Yep, especially around duct work. Hard hats have saved me lots of time.

But did manage something like that in my kitchen a couple of years ago. My wife opened a cabinet door right above me. Then I promptly stood up and caught the corner of the door - lights out momentarily and stars - and a nice bloody gash. I just put ice on it and let it dry.
So... married people should wear hard hats too...? Dude, I'm never getting married...

russ_watters said:
It was only on there for about 30 seconds - just long enough to take the picture.
Okay, you're not too drunk yet then.

russ_watters said:
So... married people should wear hard hats too...? Dude, I'm never getting married...
:rofl: But it's not usually the cabinet doors you have to worry about so much as frying pans from behind. It's okay to get married, just don't agree to putting cast iron skillets on the bridal registry. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Scars are very sexy, as long as they aren't ugly. :biggrin: Though, I'm not sure about scars from geek wounds. You're supposed to have some story of daring and danger to go with them, and I don't think being attacked by a duct quite works. :rofl:
Well, unless you are wrestling a bear, it only works with a sense of humor - that's all a geek can do anyway.