Girl Problems: Dealing With Unrequited Love at 18

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, the girl has a lot in common with the guy, and they are friends. However, she is not interested in him romantically and he is not interested in her that way either. Recently, he went over to her house and they talked for a while. He felt at ease around her and thought she was a really cool person. However, when he told her he liked her, she told him she was just friends with him.
ohhhhhh kayy! bringing this badboy thread out of the closet.

So! she has broken-up (for good) with her boyfriend, and just tonight she told me that she liked me. I told her i liked her back. and I don't really know what the hell to do from here! we've become good friends over the last 4 months, and I don't really know how to start moving things forward now...
this is the first relationship I've been in, and I'm not really even in it yet.
my floormate's advice is to just take it slowly...anyone have anything to add to that?

thanks all

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woohoo! Time for the first date! Something casual and fun, I would think.

First date time indeed, make sure it's clear that it's a "date" date and not a "friend" date. Recomendation is against doing something you've already done as friends so it doesn't seem like the same old thing, you want to head into new territory. A movie is a tacky first date imo, and doesn't give much chance for interaction. A picnic someplace quitish is nice, the old saying is the way to a man's heart is though his stomach, but women can be dazzled by culinary skills as well (or attempted culinary skills- as long as you don't give them food poisoning). Flowers might be a good start. Roses are tacky imo, daisies are nice but better to do whatever feels right to you. Nothing over the top though, first date with a girl you've had a crush on for some time and being 18 years old, that might be a danger. "casual and fun" was great advice.

She's moving away at the end of summer right? You can't move too slowly then.

Physics is Phun said:
ohhhhhh kayy! bringing this badboy thread out of the closet.

So! she has broken-up (for good) with her boyfriend, and just tonight she told me that she liked me. I told her i liked her back. and I don't really know what the hell to do from here! we've become good friends over the last 4 months, and I don't really know how to start moving things forward now...
this is the first relationship I've been in, and I'm not really even in it yet.
my floormate's advice is to just take it slowly...anyone have anything to add to that?

thanks all
Kiss her as soon as possible. It's the only way to shift it from friendship to romance.

zoobyshoe said:
Kiss her as soon as possible. It's the only way to shift it from friendship to romance.
Gotta love zooby advice, straight and to the point! :biggrin: And, yes, go on a real, official date, someplace fun! I agree with the advice to avoid a movie. That's better for after you're already all romantic with each other and can watch while snuggled together (though, today's stadium seating really takes all the fun out of movie theater snuggling...:uhh: not that I'd know :blushing:). From there, you'll have to figure it out on your own. Follow her lead...if she's interested enough, she'll give you plenty of hints of what she wants and how fast to go, you just have to keep your eyes and ears open.

Physics is Phun, I know you've probably already answered this somewhere in this huge thread, but how old are you? If she already admitted that she liked you, and you told her the same (was this in person?) Then, at that moment you should have kissed her. Next time you notice yourself in a long awkward silent pause with her. Go for the kiss.

For the first date, take her somewhere fun and that you can make fun of her! i.e bowling, If your athletic, then kick her butt as bowling or mini-golf. Tease her (not too bad), and the trick is to always keep her smiling. Touch is also very important (appropriately). For instance, a hand on the lower back as you open the door for her *at the end of the date to give you time to read her body language and if she is liking you more or less afterwards. Possibly even during the date-- after your laughing hysterically at her bowling 10 gutter balls in a row *BAM* gentle hand on her lower back*.

Open her car door and all doors for her, she will probably like it and it will be a nice change as not many young guys bother doing that anymore. Be nice, cocky, and funny, but not too nice and not too mean.

Also, keep in mind that since she just broke up with her boyfriend, she may just be looking for some "fun" and sex, which is fine man, just enjoy it! Don't get too attached too quickly (if at all) and for the love of god do not drop the L word for a long time. Date other girls too. Always keep your options open, and at the very least, dating with other girls will onyl give you practice for honing in on the one that you really want and impressing her.

Beeza said:
Possibly even during the date-- after your laughing hysterically at her bowling 10 gutter balls in a row *BAM* gentle hand on her lower back*.
And what happens when she's the one laughing at him for bowling 10 gutter balls in a row? Huh? HUH?! :grumpy: If you're laughing AT her during the date, it's not going to go well. If you do something where you can laugh TOGETHER, you'll have a much better chance.

Date other girls too.
But not all at the same time! :eek: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
If you do something where you can laugh TOGETHER, you'll have a much better chance.

I find this is true at any stage of a relationship.

Moonbear said:
That's better for after you're already all romantic with each other and can watch while snuggled together (though, today's stadium seating really takes all the fun out of movie theater snuggling... not that I'd know ).

Some theatres (AMC perhaps) have arms that can move up so you can snuggle. I always thought this was tacky though. I prefer my movie viewing/snuggling events in the privacy of my living room.

Ever been in an old theatre that had couch style seats at the back? Ever wonder what's gone on in those seats? Hmm at 18, maybe a movie is where you want to take your date.

Moonbear said:
And what happens when she's the one laughing at him for bowling 10 gutter balls in a row? Huh? HUH?! :grumpy:

There's no shame in receiving a pity kiss.

Moonbear said:
And what happens when she's the one laughing at him for bowling 10 gutter balls in a row? Huh? HUH?! :grumpy: If you're laughing AT her during the date, it's not going to go well. If you do something where you can laugh TOGETHER, you'll have a much better chance.
I disagree. It never mattered to me nor did laughing at them affect my chances of being with them. Its all the same, and all guys can use the same type of "game" and be sucessful with dating. It'll work with 80% of young college girls.

Being too nice is just going to leave a guy standing on the back porch in the rain with flowers in their hand while the cocky and not-so-nice guy is inside in the sheets with the girl.

I know that sounds like a jerk thing to say, but everyone has to learn from their mistakes somehow, and I'm only trying to help him learn from mine. It sad when you have to act like a jerk, but it works. When the time comes, and he's done getting all of the crazy no strings attached sex out of the way, he'll meet a girl that will fall for him.

Why not? Its dating at this point and not a relationship. I think people need to be more critical and not jump right into the relationship phase. Have some fun, don't put labels on anything, and take your time. It's important to be VERY picky with who your in a relationship with.

Last edited:
Beeza said:
I disagree. It never mattered to me nor did laughing at them affect my chances of being with them. Its all the same, and all guys can use the same type of "game" and be sucessful with dating. It'll work with 80% of young college girls.

Being too nice is just going to leave a guy standing on the back porch in the rain with flowers in their hand while the cocky and not-so-nice guy is inside in the sheets with the girl.

I know that sounds like a jerk thing to say, but everyone has to learn from their mistakes somehow, and I'm only trying to help him learn from mine. It sad when you have to act like a jerk, but it works. When the time comes, and he's done getting all of the crazy no strings attached sex out of the way, he'll meet a girl that will fall for him.

Are you still very young? Sorry, but there's more to a relationship than getting inside the sheets. If that's all you're interested in, then sure, you can pick up some sleezy woman who wants the same thing, and the two of you can treat each other like crap, but it sounds to me like Physics is Phun is actually looking for a relationship, not a cheap roll in the hay here.

Moonbear said:
Are you still very young? Sorry, but there's more to a relationship than getting inside the sheets. If that's all you're interested in, then sure, you can pick up some sleezy woman who wants the same thing, and the two of you can treat each other like crap, but it sounds to me like Physics is Phun is actually looking for a relationship, not a cheap roll in the hay here.

I'm still really young. I'm 21, but I'm also done messing around and have settled down and now live with the girl that I'm going to marry. Theres much more to us than getting inside the sheets.

However, from reading the previous posts, if the girl was talking about sex and boys with Physics is Phun while she had a boyfriend, then there is the possibility that this girl may be only looking for a cheap roll in the hay. On the other hand, she could quite possibly not be, but he needs to atleast be aware of that possibility with her (or any other girl)and to not get too attached and fixated on one girl too quickly.

Beeza said:
On the other hand, she could quite possibly not be, but he needs to atleast be aware of that possibility with her (or any other girl)and to not get too attached and fixated on one girl too quickly.
That's reasonable advice, but if he's looking for a relationship, there's no point in sabotaging it from the start by assuming that's all she's looking for. If it turns out that way, then they just won't end up compatible. Some women will flit about and flirt like that if all they're meeting are young guys "playing the field" and uninterested in a relationship, but once they find one who treats them right, they'll establish something more stable.

Picnic is a great idea...it's something that "just friends" don't do. Take some flowers for her...I went for a rose when I asked my gf out, but it's up to you. Any flowers will be a positive gesture.

rocketboy said:
Picnic is a great idea...it's something that "just friends" don't do. Take some flowers for her...I went for a rose when I asked my gf out, but it's up to you. Any flowers will be a positive gesture.
Aww...how sweet...a graduate of the PF School of Romance is now back giving the advice rather than getting. :smile: :biggrin: Glad to get a bit of an update once in a while to know things are still going well. :wink:

I'm 19 and she's 18.
I'm not looking to just date this girl for a bit and say screw it if doesn't work out. we're both looking for a relationship that will be lasting. and we're already talked about it and told each other that we would stay friends no matter what happens.
I couldn't kiss her cause she told me over the phone after the movie. She said she was going to tell me right then, but her dad had come at that moment to pick us up (my parents reclaimed my car for the summer while I'm at school :( )
the next time we're going to see each other is at my/our friends b-day party on saturday. I guess i'll see how things go from there.

Physics is Phun said:
there's this girl that I've know for a while now, not well until recently, we just stated talking again several weeks ago and it turns out we have just about everything in common. at first I just thought I had a crush on her cause she's quite pretty, but I know now after talking a lot that I really like her. The thing is I really don't think she likes me that way. We're great friends but I think that's all it is on her side. The other day I went over (20 minutes late because I know she wouldn't be ready) and she answers the door in nothing but a towel. I would think that if she had any sort of boyfriend interest in me she would have atleast had a bit more modesty. Now I'm not really sure she had any choice because she had to take care of her baby brother cause her dad was late getting home. But still, she felt absolutely no akwardness about it.
I didn't think I was going to have to deal with this ever because she had a serious boyfriend until last week (followed by calling me and crying) Now I don't know what to do. I don't know what good telling her would do if she only sees me as a friend, but I also don't want to do nothing because someone else will be going out with her in no time. (despite her saying she is done with relationships for now)
OMG, I don't know what to do. If I tell her things will probably get really akward, but if I wait and she gets a new boyfriend thing will get akward anyways (for me) and i'll probably stop calling her.

We are both 18, I am a complete newb to the dating/relationship/sex world while she is a seasoned pro. That just make this whole situation all the more intimidating.

ARGGG, just shoot me now! :confused:
Call this guy on his radio show: http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archives.asp?sid=202
Sundays from 11a-noon EDT (8a-9a PDT).

He will make you better. He will turn you into a regular Cary Grant. I guarantee it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics is Phun said:
I'm 19 and she's 18.
I'm not looking to just date this girl for a bit and say screw it if doesn't work out. we're both looking for a relationship that will be lasting.

For the record that's a bad way to go into a relationship. Don't get me wrong, its a fine goal, but you're setting up expectations and preconceptions and that's only going to cause problems.

Can i come in and ruin the thread yet?

For the first date, take her somewhere fun and that you can make fun of her!
You must be a first date expert, with advice like that, you'd never get a second date.

Being 54 years old and married for 24 of them, it's hard to remember dating, other than discos were the place to go during the mid to late 1970's to meet people (where I met my wife).

Since you know each other already, the date doesn't have to involve a lot of conversation, so a movie could be a good choice, especially if you get her to pick the movie. If there are teen dance clubs, that can be fun as well (if you're not a clutz). A comedy club is ok, but the language can be bad with some comedians. Amuzement parks are fun, but can be expensive, (I don't know your budget).

One of our (wife and I) anniversary traditions is to go to San Diego / Mission Bay and rent a catarmaran in the bay for 2 or 3 hours. These are easy to sail, reasonably speedy, and fun. Don't know if you have anything like this in your area. If you're nervous about it, you can take a lesson and learn everything you need to know for a small catamaran in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Jeff Reid said:
If you're nervous about it, you can take a lesson and learn everything you need to know for a small catamaran in about 10 or 15 minutes.
Building off that idea...a really fun date can be doing anything that neither of you has done before, taking lessons together on it and learning something new. Sailing in a catamaran would be one idea, but it could be anything that you both have always wished you knew how to do...ballroom dance lessons, ski lessons, white water rafting, whatever suits your fancy, budget, and is available in your area. It'll be more memorable, because it won't be like every other date she's ever gone on.

Beeza said:
For the first date, take her somewhere fun and that you can make fun of her! i.e bowling, If your athletic, then kick her butt as bowling or mini-golf. Tease her (not too bad), and the trick is to always keep her smiling.
This is a pretty good dog training tip. Let the dog know who's leader of the pack. You want to have the dominant role and you want the dog to be submissive to you.
Touch is also very important (appropriately). For instance, a hand on the lower back as you open the door for her *at the end of the date to give you time to read her body language and if she is liking you more or less afterwards. Possibly even during the date-- after your laughing hysterically at her bowling 10 gutter balls in a row *BAM* gentle hand on her lower back*.
Treats are always a good tool for training dogs. As the trainer, you want to control the resource important to the dog - namely, the treats. Reward the dog with a treat every time she takes another step towards the desired behavior.

Open her car door and all doors for her, she will probably like it and it will be a nice change as not many young guys bother doing that anymore. Be nice, cocky, and funny, but not too nice and not too mean.
Good idea. Not even dogs react well to mean punishment. Better to display a dominant attitude and reward with nice treats.

It's a tried and true principle, for dogs at least. I can't imagine why the women on the forum might be offended. :rolleyes:

BobG said:
This is a pretty good dog training tip. Let the dog know who's leader of the pack. You want to have the dominant role and you want the dog to be submissive to you.

Treats are always a good tool for training dogs. As the trainer, you want to control the resource important to the dog - namely, the treats. Reward the dog with a treat every time she takes another step towards the desired behavior.

Good idea. Not even dogs react well to mean punishment. Better to display a dominant attitude and reward with nice treats.

It's a tried and true principle, for dogs at least. I can't imagine why the women on the forum might be offended. :rolleyes:
Wow, I'm trying to be offended- but when you talk like that, Bob, it's kinda exciting. :blushing: :redface:

Last edited:
BobG said:

Sounds like you just watched that episode of South Park that had the Dog Whisperer as a character.

Math Is Hard said:
Wow, I'm trying to be offended- but when you talk like that, Bob, it's kinda exciting. :blushing: :redface:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That made me all giggly.

Jeff Reid said:
One of our (wife and I) anniversary traditions is to go to San Diego / Mission Bay and rent a catarmaran in the bay for 2 or 3 hours. These are easy to sail, reasonably speedy, and fun. Don't know if you have anything like this in your area. If you're nervous about it, you can take a lesson and learn everything you need to know for a small catamaran in about 10 or 15 minutes.

I watched one of these dating shows and the guy and girl went rowing in this small boat. And the boat accidentally flipped over so both of them are soaking wet in this putrid water. The guy was mightily embarassed. Any type of boating on the first couple of dates conjures images in my mind of the boat tipping over on this foul smelling water.

Last edited:
jimmydelgado777 said:
I watched one of these dating shows and the guy and girl went rowing in this small boat. And the boat accidentally flipped over so both of them are soaking wet in this putrid water. The guy was mightily embarassed. Any type of boating on the first couple of dates conjures images in my mind of the boat tipping over on this foul smelling water.

Yarrr, silly landlubbers can't even keep a canoe afloat. Har Har Har! :biggrin:

jimmydelgado777 said:
Any date that has water involved is a great date. If Phyics Is Phun lived around here, I'd suggest he take his girlfriend on a hike up Stanley Canyon.

The trail follows a creek up a canyon. In fact, the canyon eventually narrows to the point that there is no trail - you just hop from rock to rock along the stream. It even has those romantic* waterfalls placed strategically along the hike. At the end of the hike is the reservoir that's the source of the creek - a beautiful mountain lake surrounded by pine trees.

*romantic/exhilarating/just a wee bit nipply - any of these could be accurate descriptions when the water surely has to be below 40 degrees F.

jimmydelgado777 said:
:rofl: Yes, I would recommend that any water or boating type activities be done in clean water, not putrid lakes or toxic waste dumps. :rofl:

ok, so we were at the party and everyone got completely trashed, somehow...we ended up in the cellar under the stairs together and we started making out. I don't even remember how long it lasted, somewhere between 1 and 20 minutes...but later when we were all going to sleep, we were on the pullout couch, me her and this other girl, and the other girl was snoring, so we couldn't sleep and were talking for hours about what we're doing. I'm trying, but was so drunk i can't remember the series of events. we talked about how it's probably not the greatest idea to get into a relatioship right now since she's leaving, and somewhere in there she said she needed time to get over the old bf first...but we also ended up making out more on the couch and I'm fairly certain she started it.

so this morning, she is really distant with me, like i put my arm around her or play with her hair, and she doesn't respond to me at all. We all went out for breakfast, and she seemed eager to not drive in my car and go with her girl friend. and we barely talked at all most of the morning. I don't know what to think, my one friend thinks she just is overwhelmed from last night, but I don't know, maybe she just decide she doesn't want to do this whole thing. I'm trying really hard to remember what happened last night and what we talked about but I can't get it all straight in my head.
anyways, i suppose I should call her tomorrow and see what's up.
...i don't know what advice I'm even looking for anymore...just, something.

thanks all

edit:
oh yeah, at the beginning of the party she was telling people that she was there "with me" and that "he's my man"

...i'm so confused!

You went from not being sure how to show her you're interested in a relationship to getting drunk and making out all night? That's why she's distant...it was going too fast, and she's probably uncomfortable realizing that. That or she was just feeling crappy and hungover. Or she really is only interested in a fling and realized you're more interested in something more serious and that made it awkward (maybe she's feeling a bit guilty about that).

Oh, geez, I don't know, it sounds pretty screwy. At this point, just call and ask her what's going on when you're both sober and can remember the conversation. If she doesn't want to start something because she's moving away, then you have a pretty uphill battle. It either means she really isn't interested, or she's afraid of getting hurt if you start to really fall for each other and then the distance splits you up again.

From what you're writing here, there are definitely crossed signals, but I don't know if it's because she's sending mixed signals or you're not reading her right. :frown: It really shouldn't be this difficult, so I'm starting to lean toward thinking this just isn't a good match. I could be wrong, but it really sounds like she's playing some sort of game.

Were there any people at this party who know her ex?

Moonbear said:
It really shouldn't be this difficult, so I'm starting to lean toward thinking this just isn't a good match. I could be wrong, but it really sounds like she's playing some sort of game.

Took the words out of my mouth. Sucks, but I'd say that's probably the reality of the situation.

Physics is Phun said:
ok, so we were at the party and everyone got completely trashed, somehow...we ended up in the cellar under the stairs together and we started making out. I don't even remember how long it lasted, somewhere between 1 and 20 minutes...but later when we were all going to sleep, we were on the pullout couch, me her and this other girl, and the other girl was snoring, so we couldn't sleep and were talking for hours about what we're doing. I'm trying, but was so drunk i can't remember the series of events. we talked about how it's probably not the greatest idea to get into a relatioship right now since she's leaving, and somewhere in there she said she needed time to get over the old bf first...but we also ended up making out more on the couch and I'm fairly certain she started it.

so this morning, she is really distant with me, like i put my arm around her or play with her hair, and she doesn't respond to me at all. We all went out for breakfast, and she seemed eager to not drive in my car and go with her girl friend. and we barely talked at all most of the morning. I don't know what to think, my one friend thinks she just is overwhelmed from last night, but I don't know, maybe she just decide she doesn't want to do this whole thing. I'm trying really hard to remember what happened last night and what we talked about but I can't get it all straight in my head.
anyways, i suppose I should call her tomorrow and see what's up.
...i don't know what advice I'm even looking for anymore...just, something.

thanks all

edit:
oh yeah, at the beginning of the party she was telling people that she was there "with me" and that "he's my man"

...i'm so confused!

She is playing head games:mad: --especially since she is on the rebound from her ex-boyfriend. Either start playing the same head games with her:devil: or move on and find a girl that will treat you like you want to be treated.

I can't believe that she's just "playing games" i probably did just scare her with moving things too fast, with the combination of hungover. I'll call her today and ask her out again, see how she responds.

There were people at the party that know the bf through her... no one independently that would tell him that I was there with her though.