Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More great movies

1. Aug 3, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been scouring the video store lately due to travel.

The Quiet Earth: I absolutely loved this movie. I think it's one of the best sci-fi films that I've seen in many years.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

The Far Side of the Moon: [French Canadian] I hate having to read a movie, but I loved this one as well.
    http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2683637

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2006 #2
    I know many great movies if you need something to watch Ivan. Nothing bad like GNAGL, I promise :wink:

4. Aug 3, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a collection of award winning short movies to watch tonight. I'm sure that none will be as good as Marlon's movie, but I'll give them a watch anyway. :biggrin:

Yeh, I should be going home soon, but I'm definitely on a movie kick now. Another one that I really liked was Cinderella Man.

5. Aug 3, 2006 #4
    Hmmm, if you want boxing, you should watch Ali! :tongue2:

6. Aug 3, 2006 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

7. Aug 3, 2006 #6

Mk

I like The Dark Side of the Moon.

8. Aug 3, 2006 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

One I didn't see on that list was "Three Days of the Condor", which even by today's standards is an excellent movie. I liked the question, "do we have plans to invade the middle east?".

9. Aug 4, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ivan, have you watched "Memento"?

A WWII tear jerker classic "Mrs Miniver"

Ninotchka ""You are the unfortunate product of a doomed culture."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  10. Aug 4, 2006 #9

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I watched it, but it wasn't very memorable. My wife hated it until I reversed the chapters and played it forwards. It was too inconsistent, a problem with a lot of movies and TV shows.

11. Aug 4, 2006 #10
    how come i didn't see Tootsie on that list? come on! that movie is freaking amazing!

12. Aug 4, 2006 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You like Top Gun and Armageddon. Get out of this thread!:tongue2:

13. Aug 4, 2006 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I won't say that this is a great movie, but it has got to be the most frustrating movie that I've ever seen - Swimming Pool.

I won't go into details about the movie, because it will give it away. Let's just say that this is the first ever movie that I've attended where, while the end credits were rolling, some members of the audience were yelling "Can someone tell me what the hell that ending meant?"

Of course, I had the audacity to reply back "Go to Roger Ebert's website. He has a take on meaning of the ending!" In fact, a few members of the audience who had left, came back in and asked me again about what I said (they must have heard the "commotion"). A number of people even stayed around to "argue" about the ending of the movie.

In all the years that I've been to the movie theaters, I've never seen that happening spontaneously. Till this very day, I cannot watch the ending of Swimming Pool, because after reading Roger Ebert's take on the ending, if he's right, it annoys the hell out of me because I felt completely cheated.

Oy... even just typing about it makes me mad! Now I have to go find someone to whack on the head.

Zz.

14. Aug 4, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There are a lot of great movies, which are not on that list. I wonder if that list is more about popularity than the quality of the film. Some films are technically great, but have a weak story, others have a great story, but are technically weak.

I agree with Jeff Reid - "Three Days of the Condor" is a great movie.

How about Enemy of the State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. I thought that was pretty good.

Does anyone remember the Anderson Tapes (1971)?

15. Aug 4, 2006 #14
    Thanks man, appreciate it. This movie thing is quite important to me. Anyhow, i am sure there are a lot of short movies that are better.

Another very good movie is "C'est arrive pres de chez vous". It's a Belgian (Wallon, ie the French speaking part) movie that was shot in '92, i believe. The budget was very low but it was a tremendous success.

regards
    marlon

16. Aug 4, 2006 #15
    I liked that movie very much. "Walk the line" was a very good film as well. Johnny Cash was not that famous here in Europe before this motion picture came out but now his name is everywhere. Real good performance by the two head stars.

marlon

17. Aug 4, 2006 #16
    the man in the white suit was good
    Laydykillers
    Pink Panther
    Baron Munchousen

18. Aug 4, 2006 #17
    I never said I liked Armageddon. That movie was trash.

You should rent A few good men.

19. Aug 4, 2006 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YES! That was a tough movie but worth it.

20. Aug 4, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think Fred is into that sort of thing but you might check with Arildno.

21. Aug 4, 2006 #20
    I didnt say Brokeback Mountain! :grumpy: :uhh: :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?