The Quiet Earth" & "The Far Side of the Moon": Movie Reviews

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, these are two movies that the expert enjoyed. One is about a CIA agent who goes to Belgium to stop a terrorist attack, and the other is about a country singer who becomes a drug kingpin.
Evo said:
Evo said:
memento
Jeff Reid said:
too inconsistent ... rant ...
Geeze ...
I like most movies, it's just the ones that attempt to be just a bit too "clever" end up with a series of coincidences or inconsistencies. If you ever watched the DVD of "Memento" with the directors comments enabled, you get the idea that the director thinks he made a masterpiece. Ditto with the Sixth Sense, too much of a re-hash of old Twilight Zone episodes, where the main character was always a mannequin or toy ...

I do like a lot of movies though. As previously mentioned, Three Days of the Condor was a great movie. I also liked The Matrix, which was clever in that since that most of the movie is in an imaginary world, the characters can develop what appear to be super human powers.

The range of movies I liked include chicks movies like "As good as it gets" to Arnold Schwarzenegger violence mixed with humor movies like Total Recall, Predator, or the Terminator series.

Physics news on Phys.org
yomamma said:
Turbo, Most of your list is good, but please tell me it's not THIS crossroads...
No way, Jose. It's THIS one. It's got great messages about integrity, maturity, personal goals, loyalty, and it's got some GREAT music. When I pick up a guitar, I play mostly blues. I hosted open-mike blues jams for a few years and have seen some young fellows develop into very credible blues players, so I relate to Ralph's character in the movie, too. If you haven't seen it, rent it.

Last edited:
okay, good...you would have to be banned if it was the other one :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey, let's be fair, Cruise was good in that movie. :wink:

:rofl:
That's not being a liar, that's being ridiculous:wink:

marlon

cyrusabdollahi said:
I didnt say Brokeback Mountain! :grumpy: :uhh: :yuck:

Oh, I get it now. "A few good men" is a movie. :rolleyes:

Arnold movies? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh well...a different universe I guess. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh, I get it now. "A few good men" is a movie. :rolleyes:

You've never seen A few good men? :eek:

You must go watch it!

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
You've never seen A few good men? :eek:

You must go watch it!

Okay, I see that I will have to explain this. You see, you said that Fred should go out and rent a few good men. I said that he's not into that sort of thing but to check with Arildno.

Do you really think I haven't heard of the movie? :biggrin:

It was a joke!

You know, I never realized for the longest time that people often don't get my jokes...until something around ten years ago. When I think back on all the things that I've said while assuming that surely no one would take me seriously... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Arnold movies?
Yes, don't all "real men" enjoy Arnold movies? They will never win any oscars, but they are still entertaining. At least I don't find them annoying since no one takes them seriously.

Personally, the movie that impressed me the most was the first Star Wars. I went to see it before there was any hype. The initial release was relatively low key. I was expecting another "B" sci-fi movie like Buck Rogers in the 21st century, but from the opening scene, I immediately realized that the state of the art for special effects had just been raised significantly.

Regarding movies and tv shows, it is just entertainment, not science. Some of the stories told in movies are good, but all too often the "clever" ones are full of plot faults, which are usually too blatant for me to just ignore. I can watch Terminator or The Matrix occasionally, and still enjoy them. If I watch the Sixth Sense, or Memento, I just get annoyed at the inconsistencies and contrived situations it took in an effort to support a bad premise.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
you said that Fred should go out and rent a few good men.
... and don't forget, women rent Fred Garvin.

Jeff Reid said:
Yes, don't all "real men" enjoy Arnold movies?

Again, I think that would be a different universe than mine. I think I left that one behind somewhere around the 10th grade. :rolleyes:

If I watch the Sixth Sense, or Memento, I just get annoyed at the inconsistencies and contrived situations it took in an effort to support a bad premise.

Well, the fact that you feel the premises were flawed suggests that you were predisposed to dislike the movies.

Yes, don't all "real men" enjoy Arnold movies?
I think I left that one behind somewhere around the 10th grade.
And yet you watch Sci-Fi movies? So I guess this means that Al Bundy is not your hero? Ok, enough kidding. Life doesn't always have to be serious, especially entertainment. Not that Arnold movies are my favorites, but they are entertaining to me. After reading newspapers, and watching the news, real life in general, I like to take a fun break from this stuff, and this includes watching some less than brilliant movies that just have a fun factor, or good special effects. I rarely go to the movies, most of what we (wife and I) watch are rental DVD's, but we do go see some movies, mostly where the big screen contributes to the movie.

As previously mentioned, I've always like Three Days of the Condor, it was well written, and for once a really smart character was likeable. If you've never seen this one it's definitely worth it. If you like Sci-Fi, Capricorn One is an OK movie with a bit of a twist, some of the scenes are a bit over the top, but the cast includes some of the top actors of the time, and over all it's a descent movie.

I've watched and enjoyed many of the movies in that top 250 list, although my list would be significantly different.

If I watch the Sixth Sense, or Memento, I just get annoyed at the inconsistencies and contrived situations it took in an effort to support a bad premise.
Well, the fact that you feel the premises were flawed suggests that you were predisposed to dislike the movies.
I didn't feel the premises were flawed until after watching the movies. Perhaps with better and more consistent screenplay, the premises could have been made more believable, but as is, there were too many flaws and/or coincidences.

In Memento, the main characters memory retention kept adjusting so that it fit the script, which was annoying to me. One thing is the main character is able to drive from the cave into town and later back again, even though he'd never been there before. In other cases, like when the girl fights with him, leaves and returns in a few minutes, his memory retention is very short, in spite of his efforts to prevent it.

In the Sixth Sense, the premise is introduced by the child, that ghosts don't know they're dead, can't see other ghosts, and only see what they want to see (until some problem is resolved). However the ghost / grandmother is aware she is dead and just wants to stay with the family. The 3 ghosts in the courthouse scene all appear at the same time, which seems very unlikely if they aren't aware of each other. Not obvious from the movie itself, but from the directors comments is the fact that everything "bad" or a "conflict" is red. The doorknob to the basement has a red tint, OK, but the mother of the dead child wears flourescent red to a funeral, which was beyond believable. Then there are the scenes meant to throw off the audience. The main character just happens to be in the kids house with the mom, waiting for the kid to come home. Later, the mom seem oblivious when the kid talks to the main character. In the diner scene, the chair just happens to be already pulled out when the main character sits down, and the wife grabs the check just before he does. Another thing never explained is how do the ghosts recognize who can see and hear them out of the millions of people in a city? How do they find this kid? Anyway, enough ranting about this one movie. I only watched it twice on DVD, first without and then with the directors comments. The second time was to trying to figure out what the director had in mind, but even he makes it clear that some scenes were just meant to throw off the audience, and the "red" thing just seemed uneeded. For that matter the main character didn't need a special twist for the movie to be good.

Last edited:
Movies not on the 250 list that should get at least an honorable mention:

Three Days of the Condor
The Shining
Coma
Capricorn One
Basic Instinct

There are more, but these are all I can think of right now.

Three Days of the Condor is absolutely a favorite.

Metropolis
The Tramp

I find new movies less and less entertaining. With all due respect to a certain special effects artist who could be reading - I would love to do special effects btw - they have gone too far with the effects. For example, I thought the Matrix was boring: Okay, now he runs up the wall and fires in slo-mo, yadda yadda yadda - BORING! It's great to have good effects as part of the movie, but now the special effects often ARE the movie, and that loses me completely.

I tend to be extra forgiving of Sci-Fi movies because I'm always anxious to see what new ideas might be used. Note that The Matrix was first done by Descartes. :biggrin: But IMO there are very few good sci-fi movies made. 2001 was great; too much with the monkeys but okay after that. Star Wars is a classic but part of the allure was the new age of special effects. Like most people, when that first scene played, and the ship kept going on and on, I was blown away! WOW! We had never seen anything like this before and it was immediately obvious. Still, it was a great story of good and evil and worthy as a classic. I don't think I would say the same for any of the sequels.

I like the Star Trek movies but only one or two was actually very good. I wouldn't say that any were great.

Sidebar: Did anyone here see Tom Stoppard's play, Arcadia? That was fun.

Last edited:
Nobody mentioned Contact?

Posts 26 and 34, but that was SOOOO long ago, and your attention span might be a bit stressed. Go bug penquino.

yomamma said:
Turbo, Most of your list is good, but please tell me it's not THIS crossroads...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I doubt it!

Jacob's Ladder
The Ninth Configuration
The Wizard of Oz

Nobody has mentioned Scarface or the Godfather series? They were both before my time but I still really enjoyed them. For sci-fi I really liked The Island. Hmm, Derailed wasn't bad, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was interesting... Then there's the animated comedy's... Over the Hedge was brilliant. Somebody mentioned Gladiator, that is probably in my top 5 overall. For pure entertainment there's always the James Bond movies... can't complain about plenty of action and hot women.. .kinda like Arnold movies in that sense.

I like space movies too, like Red Planet and Mission to Mars, although the top would definitely have to be Apollo 13 and October Sky fits into that category too I guess.

What's contact about?

Hey Ivan, if you want a really cool, different movie, go rent "eat drink man woman"

It is a chinese movie I saw on tv late night. It has subtitles, but man it was a greatttt movie!

Watch it with Tsu, I promise you will both enjoy it!

rocketboy said:
Nobody has mentioned Scarface or the Godfather series? They were both before my time but I still really enjoyed them. For sci-fi I really liked The Island. Hmm, Derailed wasn't bad, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was interesting... Then there's the animated comedy's... Over the Hedge was brilliant. Somebody mentioned Gladiator, that is probably in my top 5 overall. For pure entertainment there's always the James Bond movies... can't complain about plenty of action and hot women.. .kinda like Arnold movies in that sense.
I agree, the Island was good. I don't know about legendary good, but a good watch nonetheless. I'm going to have to see Over the Hedge. I've heard good reviews.

rocketboy said:
What's contact about?
It's about extraterrestrial life (there is a deeper meaning, but I'm not getting into right now). If you are at all into science/astronomy (as I assume you are from your name) Contact is a MUST SEE. Go, right now, to the nearest movie rental establishment and do yourself a favor.:smile:

Paden Roder

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey Ivan, if you want a really cool, different movie, go rent "eat drink man woman"

It is a chinese movie I saw on tv late night. It has subtitles, but man it was a greatttt movie!

Watch it with Tsu, I promise you will both enjoy it!

...Who said foreign films can't be fun? Ang Lee's followup to his internationally successful The Wedding Banquet is a delicious examination of the relationship between aging Chinese master chef Tao Chu (Sihung Lung) and his three daughters. The oldest, Jia-Jen (Kuei-Mei-Yang), is an unmarried school teacher in her late twenties. The middle daughter, Jia-Chen (Chien-Lien Wu), is a thriving corporate airline executive whose career comes before all else. The youngest, Jia-Ning (Yu-Wen Wang), is a twenty year old romantic who works at a Wendy's fast food joint.

Eat Drink Man Woman is a more accomplished motion picture than its predecessor - and The Wedding Banquet was good enough in its own right. The comedy is spontaneous and relaxed, the drama is finely-tuned, and the plot is seasoned with unexpected little twists. The script delights in occasional forays just beyond the typical bounds of a screenplay...
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/e/eat_drink.html

Thanks, I will. I plan to watch Ali as well. I grew up watching him fight while in his prime. And then there was the drama between Ali and Cosell... lordy, I haven't thought of all that in ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Reid said:
I didn't mind the movie in reverse concept, but the main character's memory loss timing kept varying during the movie just to make the script work. Sometimes he'd lose track of things in a short period of time, yet at other moments, he'd be able to focus on a single task for a very long period of time: he was able to drive fairly long distances without losing track of where he was going,

Actually, this sounds very organic to me. Memory doesn't work like clockwork.

The part that bothered me was that he had a driver's license! Or did he have to steal one? It's been a while since I've seen it.I agree that the Sixth Sense was pretty weak. I knew something was strange throughout the whole movie because no way are children that young allowed to associate with a grown man alone, even if he is a child psychologist. Everywhere there was a child in this movie, he or she seemed to actually exercise independence and the right to self-determination.

That's probably the worst part about Sixth Sense, the way it takes advantage of the alienation of children. It adopts something similar to the "Indigo Children" movement, and makes a story out of it. Indigo children are select souls who are here to solve problems and help us along our spiritual paths or something. It only alienates children more by ascribing them powers that don't exist.

Last edited:
]b]dark man.
get rich or die trying
in her shoes[/b]

Get Rich or Die Tryin' was terrible

eveseh said:
]b]dark man.
get rich or die trying
in her shoes[/b]
yomamma said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: hahahahahahahah. I guess that I should apologize. I have a strange sense of humor.

I should contribute to this thread. I would say Life Is Beautiful is a really good movie.

yomamma said:
come on,it wasnt that terrible,it's a cool movie
to see,i think it gave you some ideas in life:rofl: :tongue2:

Cool! I just noticed that THX 1138 is on TCM. That is another favorite that I haven't seen in since the 70s.

eveseh said:
come on,it wasnt that terrible,it's a cool movie
to see,i think it gave you some ideas in life:rofl: :tongue2:
:uhh:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0430308/

look at the rating:rofl:

yomamma said:
:uhh:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0430308/

look at the rating:rofl:
yea,i have seen it,but nothing's wrong wit it
i think it's a cool film to watch,haha:tongue2:

Mickey said:
Jeff said:
memento - memory duration adjusted to fit the script.
Actually, this sounds very organic to me. Memory doesn't work like clockwork.
True, but it always varied by just the right amount to fit the screen play. As mentioned, driving from the town to the cave and/or back seemed took a long time, not to mention continuiging with a task that started before the drive.

I agree that the Sixth Sense was pretty weak. I knew something was strange throughout the whole movie because no way are children that young allowed to associate with a grown man alone
Yes, the "field work" just didn't seem right to me. And all the coincidences, in addition to what I previously mentioned, the bathroom scene where the door and the medicine cabinet both happened to be opened just enough for the main character to see that his wife is taking anti-depressants. The other was that his clothes were always changing except for the shirt, which for some reason the director felt was important. So many things left unexplained. Who's dressing the main character? How does the main character move about town (always on the bus)? Where does the main character sleep? What and where does the main character eat?

jacobs ladder
For me, yet another very annoying movie. Most of the movie leads the viewer into one direction, a mystery to be solved, but the solution for all that is witnessed, is that it's just some bad dream. The Usual Suspects, is similar, almost the entire movie is just some story made up by the main character.

As previously posted, I find too many of the so called "clever" movies to have too many plot faults and/or an extreme number of coincidences.

rants about other movies

Now I don't mind plot faults as much in the not so serious movies or TV shows. In Star Trek, Spock's strength varied from episode to episode, sometimes he could punch big dents in metal walls, while other times he could be subdued by a couple of humans. When transporting a bomb off the ship, why not just scatter it instead of re-assembling it outside (other than for a cool scene). In one episode (a piece of the action), the Enterprise stuns every one in a several block radius of the landing party. A lot of episodes would last maybe 2 minutes if they simply would stun everything around the landing party if an all clear wasn't received, and then transport back the landing party. Still it was a fun show to watch at the time.

In Star Wars Episode 6, soon after Luke finds out that Leah is his twin sister, Luke asks Leah if she remembers her "real" mother, and Leah responds yes, but her real mother died when Leah was young. However, in Star Wars 3, rather that come up with a reason for Padme choosing to go with Leah and not Luke when they split up the twins, they just kill off Padme instead, a significant change to the time line of the series, and a bit of a copout. "Higher ground" was probably the worst part of EP3 though. So most of the movie was good except for the fact that they had to rush everything at the end of EP3 so that the characters were in place for where they start EP4. For example, the transition for Anakin to end up as Darth Vader was supposed to have taken much longer than it did in EP3, but if EP3 were made this way, you don't get a Darth Vader by the end of EP3, so they had to rush that.

Last edited:
A Clockwork Orange
Kafka

requiem for a dream was surprisingly good...

I don't see Pulp Fiction on this list either

Ivan Seeking said:
A Clockwork Orange
I'm singing in the rain...:devil:

yomamma said:
requiem for a dream was surprisingly good...

I don't see Pulp Fiction on this list either

Oh man Pulp Fiction was awesome!

I just finished watching The Quiet Earth after hearing interesting things about it... man that movie is messed! I'm confused, how did the explosion at the end send him to an alternate universe or sumtin near Saturn? And why did the movie have to show him naked? I really didn't need to see that LMAO.

I didn't mind Get Rich or Die Tryin', it doesn't come close to my "top movies" list but it was entertaining.

Catch Me If You Can was good. I like movies like that that really make you think about what is happening and to figure things outm(that's one thing Get rich... didn't have, it was pure entertainment... same with Tokyo Drift, very entertaining but not very mind blowing or thought envoking)

I'll have to check out Contact.