Understanding Linear Motion and Angular Momentum

In summary, linear motion is motion along a line. For the question about a coin on a rotating turntable, there is not enough information to determine the linear velocity of the coin. An object will fall over when its center of mass is beyond its support base. When a block of steel is attached to a block of wood, both positions (steel on top, wood on top) are equally stable. The center of mass in a donut is located in the hole. Lastly, angular momentum is based on rotational inertia and angular velocity, not speed.
mark9159
Hey again...im back with some more...these are simple questions that just boggle my mind..maybe I am just rushing myself.

What is linear motion?
My answer: Motion along a line

Question: A small coin is halfway between the center and the outer edge of a turntable rotating at 45 rpm. What is the linear velocity of the coin?

Choices Given: a) 10m/s b) 22.5m/s c) 45m/s d) Not enough information to tell
My Answer: d) not enough information to tell

Question: At what point will an object fall over?

Choices given: a)When its support base is completely off the ground. b) when the center of mass is beyond the support base. c) when the center of mass is outside the object.
My Answer: b) when the center of mass is beyond the support base.

Question: A block of steel is attached to a block of wood. The assembly is placed on one end. Which position will be most stable?

Choices Given: a) steel on top, wood on bottom. b) wood on top, steel on bottom. c)they are equally stable either way d) neither is stable at all
My Answer: c)They are equally stable either way

Question: Where is the center of mass in a donut?
Choices Given: a) there isn't one. b)above the donut. c)below the donut. d)in the hole.
My Answer: d) in the hole

And one more question..is this statement correct? "Angular momentum is based on rotational inertia and angular speed?" I am sure that angular momentum is based on rotational inertia and angular VELOCITY..but could speed be said in place of velocity?

thanks again!

mark

Physics news on Phys.org
You answers are all good except this one:
"Question: A block of steel is attached to a block of wood. The assembly is placed on one end. Which position will be most stable?

Choices Given: a) steel on top, wood on bottom. b) wood on top, steel on bottom. c)they are equally stable either way d) neither is stable at all
My Answer: c)They are equally stable either way "

Go back to the third question. If the wood is on top of the steel, since steel has a higher density than wood, the center of gravity is lower. Conversely, if the steel is on top of the wood, the center of gravity is higher. Now look at what happens as the block tilts. In which configuration will a smaller angle (smaller tilt) be required to move the center of gravity outside the support area?

Ah i see..so it would be more stable if steel were on the bottom, because if steel were on top, it would require a smaller tilt to move hte center of gravity out of the support area

thank you very much,

mark

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line with a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving at a constant speed and in a specific direction.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant rate. It takes into account the object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How are linear motion and angular momentum related?

Linear motion and angular momentum are related through the conservation of angular momentum law, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external force is applied. This means that when an object experiences a change in linear motion, it will also experience a change in angular momentum.

4. What factors affect linear motion and angular momentum?

The factors that affect linear motion are velocity, mass, and external forces such as friction and gravity. For angular momentum, the factors are mass, velocity, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How can linear motion and angular momentum be applied in real-life situations?

Understanding linear motion and angular momentum can be applied in various fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, engineers use these concepts to design efficient machines and structures, athletes utilize them to improve their performance, and transportation systems rely on them for safe and smooth movement.