1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Help with Derivatives

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    I'll just make one thread for all the help I'll need with derivatives so I don't clutter up this forum.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the derivative of y = sqrt(x)(x - 1).

2. Relevant equations
    Wolfram Alpha gets this:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+y+=+sqrt(x)(x+-+1)

I got sqrt(x) + [(x - 1) / (2sqrt(x))]. Which is basically everything up until the point where Wolfram returns the answer.

I don't understand where the 3 in the numerator comes from, or where the sqrt(x) that's being added goes.

3. The attempt at a solution
    All the work you see Wolfram doing, up until the point Wolfram returns the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It appears that you have used the product rule: the derivative of [itex]x^{1/2}(x-1)[/itex] is [itex](1/2)x^{-1/2}(x- 1)+ x^{1/2}(1)= \sqrt{x}+ (x- 1)/2\sqrt{x}[/itex].

However, you can also write [itex]x^{1/2}(x- 1)= x^{3/2}- x^{1/2}[/itex]. Then the derivative is [itex](3/2)x^{1/2}- (1/2)x^{-1/2}[/itex]. That is what Wolfram is doing.

Of course, those are the same. In the your answer, [itex]\sqrt{x}+ (x-1)/2\sqrt{x}[/itex], [itex]x/\sqrt{x}= \sqrt{x}[/itex] so that can be written [itex]\sqrt{x}+ (1/2)\sqrt{x}- 1/2\sqrt{x}= (3/2)\sqrt{x}- (1/2)x^{-1/2}[/itex], the same as Wolfram's answer.

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

Wolfram added the fractions together by finding the LCD.
    [tex]\sqrt{x} + \frac{x - 1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
    The 1st "fraction" has a denominator of 1, so the LCD is 2 sqrt (x). Multiply top and bottom of the 1st "fraction" by this LCD:
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x} \cdot 2\sqrt{x}}{1\cdot 2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{x - 1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
    I'll let you figure out the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook