1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More hookes law question

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] More hookes law question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i cant get the equation to work out to the right answer of 110-130Gpa

2. Relevant equations
    E=kL/A

k-1.45
    L=2metres
    A = 0.292cm

3. The attempt at a solution

i get 0.0099Gpa

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you please post the question and how you got your answer? How is anyone supposed to help you if we don't know your question or how you got to your answer?

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    Sorry.

I've got to work out the Youngs modulus of a meterial using the equation k=EA/L which rearrnged to E=kL/A i know k because its the gradient of a force extension graph i made, A is the x-sectional area of the wire and L is original length of the wire. wiki says the youngs modulus of copper 110-130 Giga Pascals but i get something stupid like 0.009Gpa.

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm. I'm thinking there may be some unit problems here if your off by that much. What are the units you are using in your calculations, including your graph?

6. Apr 25, 2008 #5
    I did some working on it today and i think you're right, i'm using newtons, millimetres and metres in the same equation, i converted all the units properly and i've got a more sensible answer now.

7. Apr 25, 2008 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good to hear. Sometimes it always boils down to something simple like the units.

8. Apr 26, 2008 #7
    Thanks for your help

9. Apr 26, 2008 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anytime. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?