1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More impulse and restitution >.<

1. Apr 9, 2004 #1
    God i hate this damned topic >.<

Q. Two particles P and Q have speeds of 6m/s and 0m/s respectively. P directly collides with Q, the colision is perfectly elastic.

a) find the speed of Q directly after impact
    b) find the impulse on Q

a)
    so far i have worked out that using the law of conservation of momentum that

6 = X + 0.5Y

where x and y are the velocities of P and Q after the collision respectivly

however this is as far as i have got because to work out n e thing more i would need the coefficient of restitution

6 = E (X - Y)

b) would be easy given the velocity after :P

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2004 #2
    e=1 for perfectly elastic Collision

4. Apr 9, 2004 #3
    perfectly elastic collision

examples of a perfectly elastic collision (although they can never truly happen) would be a tennis ball that returns to its initial height after it is dropped or 2 billiards balls that collide and they exchange velocities. this should help get you started.

5. Apr 9, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We would appreciate it if you would include ALL of the information in a problem (better: quote it exactly) rather than making us guess. I take it from "6= X+ 0.5Y" that P has mass 1 kg and Q has mass 0.5 kg but I don't see that information anywhere in the problem. Since this is a "perfectly elastic" collision, you also have conservation of kinetic energy (same thing: the "coefficient of restitution" is 1). Assuming P has mass 1 kg and Q has mass 1/2 kg then the total kinetic energy (1/2)(1)(62)= (1/2)(1)X2+ (1/2)(1/2)Y2 or 36= X2+ (1/2)Y2. That equation, together with X+ (1/2)Y= 6 is enough to solve for X and Y.

6. Apr 9, 2004 #5

sorry was sleepy wen i posted it

thanks helped loads :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?