1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More inelastic problems

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A movie stuntman (mass 81.8 kg) stands on a window ledge 7.33 m above the floor. Grabbing a rope attached to a chandelier, he swings down to grapple with the movie’s villain (mass 66.4 kg), who is standing directly under the chandelier. (Assume that the stuntman’s center of mass moves downward 7.33 m. He releases the rope just as he reaches the villain) If the coefficient of kinetic friction of their bodies with the floor is uk = 0.71, how far do they slide?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So what I did is first solve for the potential of the stuntman ( 81.8 * 9.8 * 7.33). Then subtract out the friction caused by the two people ( total mass * 9.8 * .71). This is the energy left to the system. So set this equal to F * d where force is equal to total mass * 9.8. And that's how I get my d, which is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Spraypaint! :smile:

The collision is inelastic … energy is not conserved in the collision

you have to find the initial joint speed before you can start to apply conservation of energy. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook